Author Topic: iPhone or Samsung ??  (Read 617 times)

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
Re: iPhone or Samsung ??
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2013, 05:22:52 AM »
On a Samsung S3 now, since dropping my S2 down the toilet. It did work mostly again but it was time for an upgrade anyway. Very happy with it. Wouldn't even consider changing to an iphone which seem to break screens if you look crooked at them! My Samsung S2 eventually cracked it's screen after I dropped it from the cockpit to the hangar floor, hangar floors are hard! But a cheap cover solves all that.

The Samsungs feel like mini tablets to the point I rarely crank up my PC anymore to check something on the net.

One problem with the S3 lately was a botched upgrade. A lot of complaints about it ruining battery life and start up issues. Luckily I hadn't tried to upgrade and will wait not for the fix. 

Next one I think will be the S5!

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2013, 05:45:02 AM »
On a Samsung S3 now, since dropping my S2 down the toilet. It did work mostly again but it was time for an upgrade anyway. Very happy with it. Wouldn't even consider changing to an iphone which seem to break screens if you look crooked at them! My Samsung S2 eventually cracked it's screen after I dropped it from the cockpit to the hangar floor, hangar floors are hard! But a cheap cover solves all that.

The Samsungs feel like mini tablets to the point I rarely crank up my PC anymore to check something on the net.

One problem with the S3 lately was a botched upgrade. A lot of complaints about it ruining battery life and start up issues. Luckily I hadn't tried to upgrade and will wait not for the fix. 

Next one I think will be the S5!

Try and see if you can get Juicedefender Plus from Google Play.    I now charge my battery at night and have ample battery throughout the day.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2013, 06:35:45 AM »
I have the samsung rugby smart, I like it so far it has been pretty durable
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2013, 08:37:44 AM »
I'd go with an S4.  My Droid RAZR is made by Motorola but powered by android.  Its the best phone I've ever had. Just replaced the battery a while ago after a year or so of heavy usage runs perfect.  Oh yeah and you can root androids :).
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Heater

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2013, 08:40:31 AM »
Xperia Z1 here, love it
HiTech is a DWEEB-PUTZ!
I have multiple personalities and none of them like you !!!

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2013, 08:41:39 AM »
I love my iphone 4s, not a huge fan of the new iOS update, but at least it is a consistent look/feel across the board.  I got my iphone after hearing my sister complain when her 4th android phone in a row died and needed replacing.  Very little fiddling around with an iphone.  It works well, lots of apps for it, and it just doesn't need to be geeked at before it is a vital tool in your life.

Even with my reservations about the new iOS (I have excellent eyesight and I still had to turn on a bunch of the "accessibility" features to make it easy to read and see indicator icons), if I had to buy a new phone today I'd get a 32 or 64GB iphone 5s, no question about it.  The user interface is very polished, and the hardware is very good.  I'm particularly impressed with some of the new camera features that come standard with the new phone.  Also, this time around apple is throwing in for free a few of their best mobile apps including word processing and other iworks apps.

They may be a bit more expensive but the ease of use, lack of having to fiddle with it or jailbreak/hack it before it is useful, plentiful apps, and quality hardware makes it worth it to me.  I wouldn't ever take out a loan to buy a phone or buy one on credit, but if you have the cash then an iphone would probably not be a bad choice.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2013, 08:51:30 AM »
I have a S4 right now and it is absolutely flawless. It has all the bells and whistles without all the bloatware like iTunes requires. I would recommend a good case (ie Otterbox), the S4 is pretty fragile.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2013, 09:09:30 AM »
Xperia Z1 here, love it

Marvelous phone, which is dust and waterproof btw for you washmachine  adventurers

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2013, 09:14:27 AM »
   Have an older I-phone 4 (no s) and works flawless for me. My wife got the S3 (I took her I-phone) She has had problems where the phone just randomly shuts off and turns back on. We took it back to Verizon but these days the tech support at the stores are snot nosed kids who pretend to know something. all they did was erase some of her apps by mistake and said oops. Phone is still f'ed.

Leaving Verizon soon maybe At&t?
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2013, 09:18:09 AM »
  Have an older I-phone 4 (no s) and works flawless for me. My wife got the S3 (I took her I-phone) She has had problems where the phone just randomly shuts off and turns back on. We took it back to Verizon but these days the tech support at the stores are snot nosed kids who pretend to know something. all they did was erase some of her apps by mistake and said oops. Phone is still f'ed.

Leaving Verizon soon maybe At&t?

I would make that decision based on coverage areas.  My sister and her husband use AT&T because they live in the Chicago area and the coverage is good there.  Where I live, AT&T coverage blows, but Verizon's coverage is good.  You'll get the snot nosed idiot problem with all of the major carriers, to be honest.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2013, 09:25:48 AM »
I would make that decision based on coverage areas.  My sister and her husband use AT&T because they live in the Chicago area and the coverage is good there.  Where I live, AT&T coverage blows, but Verizon's coverage is good.  You'll get the snot nosed idiot problem with all of the major carriers, to be honest.

Cool thanks. I live in NJ usa and during the slight earthquake we had here a couple years ago the Verizon network was so overloaded no one could make contact but my buddies at&t phone did. So much for needing it in an emergency.  :rolleyes:
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline 68Raptor

• Gold Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2013, 09:36:06 AM »
Did the same thing.. long time Blackberry user.. got caught up in the marketing and switched to an Andriod (don't remember which one). I quickly got tired of the lock ups and lack of decent apps. Couple of years ago picked up an iPad for work stuff (tons of tech manuals, apps and spreadsheet stuff). After using it for a year or so when it came time to replace the frustrating Driod phone I switched to the iPhone. Mind you I use my phone and iPad for 95% business and wanted the rock solid stability. I've passed the age of wanting to tinker and tweak my phone. I want one that does what I need, easy to use and doesn't lock up on me. iPhone is it. I've found that the iOS system is easy to use. Not sure why some would say it's dumb downed, seems to me it's just the opposite, it's very well engineered and thought out so that user doesn't need to worry about doing a 1000 tweaks to get it to run right.  

The Apple "eco system" has some drawbacks (cost being the main one) but for us, having two daughters, we've been buying music through iTunes for years and have started buying movies through it also. Also, when one person downloads an app it can show up on everyone's phone or iPads. One purchase and it's on 5 different devices. Can't beat that. We use one main Apple ID for the music, movies and apps. We each also have a separate ID for email, messaging, cloud backups and whatnot. When we added in AppleTvs it made the sharing thing that much easier. She has a Apple TV at her house at school, we have one at the main TV down stairs. Her and her roomates are always watching something on the Apple Tv.    

My other kid decided she wanted a S4 since her boyfriend has one. She sold her iPhone to pay for the S4. 2 weeks later she told me it was a mistake and was going to switch back when she saved up the money for a new iPhone. Her reason was it's such a pain to find the correct version of whatever app she wants. She said she sometimes downloads 3 or 4 version of an app before she finds one that doesn't have some sort of security warning about installing it.  Her words not mine. The boyfriend plans on doing the same.

Sister called me asking what I liked about the iphone.. I gave a few reasons, stable, easy to use and always works. She went to her Verizon store.. talked to them and came out with the new S4. A couple of weeks later she was over for dinner, we got to talking about the phones. We messed around with each others phones. I liked a few things about the S4 but would not want to switch. She on the other hand is now waiting until January when her husbands contract is up.. she's going to give him the S4 and pick up a iPhone 5s. He doesn't mind since he just uses his phone as a phone. His words "he don't internet".
Executive Officer
68th Lighting Lancers

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2013, 10:35:35 AM »
Swapped my iPhone 4 for a new HTC Windows 8 Phone. 

Its not that its terribly bad, but I miss my iPhone.  I regret switching.

Wab
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2013, 10:45:36 PM »
........I just dropped $300 on the 5S for Verizon....... :noid
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2013, 11:51:09 PM »
........I just dropped $300 on the 5S for Verizon....... :noid

You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"