Author Topic: The Stars next to names  (Read 3911 times)

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
The Stars next to names
« on: December 02, 2013, 04:35:45 PM »
Ok, so I've been back in game for a bit now.

I notice today that have a star next to my name in the roster.

I have no idea why it is there.

Is it an achievement that is supposed to motivate me in some way?  If so, shouldn't it be more obvious what it is and how one gets one...  one one one?

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline SlidingHorn

• Zinc Member
Re: The Stars next to names
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 04:39:18 PM »
Ok, so I've been back in game for a bit now.

I notice today that have a star next to my name in the roster.

I have no idea why it is there.

Is it an achievement that is supposed to motivate me in some way?  If so, shouldn't it be more obvious what it is and how one gets one...  one one one?

All I could find online is that it has something to do with reputation...how that's earned and/or calculated, I have no clue.

I just recently got one, too, but I couldn't give you a reason why I got it.  It doesn't appear to be matched to your overall rank, as there are many with better ranks than I who are unstarred, and others ranked lower have more stars. 

I've asked around in the Help channel, but no joy.  We'll see if someone can give a better answer...  :cheers:
Flying As: MusicMan
Professional Lawn Dart / Resident Practice Drone

My beard can beat up your beard.

Offline XxDaSTaRxx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 05:35:05 PM »
I'm pretty sure it has to do with achievements. 2-3 months ago I got my first one, which is 500 total score in achievements. Each achievement has a number on it and that's it's value towards reputation, which will gradually give you stars.  :cheers:
Quote from: Latrobe
Do not run.
Face your opponent with all you have.
If you die you have something to learn.

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 05:36:55 PM »
Open your clipboard in game and go to achievements.  All will be known to you then. 
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 05:56:57 PM »
Stars pretty much indicate how many achievements you've collected. As far as I'm concerned, they have nothing to do with reputation of any kind...reputation is earned by your conduct, not by how many widgets you collect by playing a game. You can turn off the star display in the roster from the achievements menu, which I do because 1) I don't care about stars and 2) they screw up the sorting of names in the roster.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline SlidingHorn

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 09:39:00 PM »
they have nothing to do with reputation of any kind..

Now that I'm reading this over again, and paying attention, I'm seeing that what I read must have been about the forums, not the arenas...my bad  :bolt:
Flying As: MusicMan
Professional Lawn Dart / Resident Practice Drone

My beard can beat up your beard.

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 10:00:57 PM »
Must be pretty easy to earn a star then...  I've only been back for about 2 1/2 - 3 weeks and already have 1.

Pffft...  

Not interested in earning them.  As far as reputation, I hope that I am known to be a fairly crappy pilot who has an occasional accidental moment of good flying...  And I try not to whine on 200.  I would dislike being judged by these silly stars.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 10:02:29 PM »
Now that I'm reading this over again, and paying attention, I'm seeing that what I read must have been about the forums, not the arenas...my bad  :bolt:

The stars under the names here in the forums is just based on the number of posts...nothing else.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 03:42:45 PM »
Must be pretty easy to earn a star then...  I've only been back for about 2 1/2 - 3 weeks and already have 1.

Pffft...  

Not interested in earning them.  As far as reputation, I hope that I am known to be a fairly crappy pilot who has an occasional accidental moment of good flying...  And I try not to whine on 200.  I would dislike being judged by these silly stars.

They are fairly hard to earn. The first one is easy but after the second one you have pretty will done all the easy acheivments .   A lot the achievements can be really hard.

Kill a tiger 1  in a M8. 

And so forth.  Try and see how many of those achievements you can master
LtCondor
          The Damned
Fighter pilots are either high, or in the process of getting high.🙊
The difference between Dweebs and non dweebs... Dweebs have kills

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 04:16:45 PM »

And so forth.  Try and see how many of those achievements you can master

I think I'll pass.  Thanks for the information.  Not something I have any interest in doing though.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 04:45:10 PM »
I think the term "reputation" was an unfortunate choice on HTC's side ...  ;)

As far as stars go.. the first is easy, it will fall into about everyones lap after some playtime. For 2 and 3 you must either be a genuine Jack-of-all-trades (meaning play a lot of different things in the MA) and waste a lot of time, or actively go for it.
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline Gwjr2

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 12:23:23 AM »
Actually stars indicate weather or not you have a job or not  :D The more stars the more unemployed you are LOL :bolt:
Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.

Offline Twinkles

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2020, 11:48:13 PM »
Does anyone know which achievements give you the stars the fastest? Is it how many you can complete or the value of each one as listed? I didn't find the answer in the flight manual :salute

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2020, 12:22:56 AM »
Actually stars indicate weather or not you have a job or not  :D The more stars the more unemployed you are LOL :bolt:

ROTFLMAO

To be honest I do not even pay attention to them. I believe you can turn them off too. Over time they just accumulate without thought or even trying.

I do not think any method gets the stars quicker but there are achievements that are easier to do. That is if you are willing to do them. The easier they are to do, the quicker you could do them.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 12:25:06 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2020, 11:00:08 AM »
Does anyone know which achievements give you the stars the fastest? Is it how many you can complete or the value of each one as listed? I didn't find the answer in the flight manual :salute

Im not positive, but on the clipboard, click on achievements and you can type in your name. Then when you click on the achievements that you dont have it will list them. In the box of each achievement, in the lower right corner it tells you how many points that achievement is worth. Stars awarded as you reach each points threshold.  I think you click on "Reputation" or something like that to see a bar graph that showes you how close you are to your next star.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 11:05:50 AM by The Fugitive »