Author Topic: An actual crew for the Wirbel?  (Read 1615 times)

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: An actual crew for the Wirbel?
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2013, 10:44:53 PM »
I can see pervert's point.  The flak panzie is an open top AV with an exposed crew so taking out the turret should incapacitate the crew.

ack-ack

Well are you talking the entire crew? If so the answer is no.
The driver was sealed off from the rest of the crew in his own little abode.

I have experimented off line & one .50 cal inside the top of the turret will smoke it.
Granted I was right beside it in a M3.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2013, 10:48:21 PM »
The wirbles were excellent weapons, the equal of any other AA vehicle of the war. The big difference between real life and Aces High is that pilots didn't target the AA vehicles,

Not so American pilots absolutely looked for flack panzers first.
Once they were out of the way the entire tank unit was meat on the table.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2013, 05:43:19 AM »
Not so American pilots absolutely looked for flack panzers first.
Once they were out of the way the entire tank unit was meat on the table.

So unlike in the game, they could actually see the Wirbles before getting shot down by them. 
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2013, 07:49:39 AM »
If there was a turret crew, a burst of .30 should take out the crew. Imagine 100 .30-06 bullets going into that open turret.
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2013, 07:52:19 AM »
If there was a turret crew, a burst of .30 should take out the crew. Imagine 100 .30-06 bullets going into that open turret.

It does.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2013, 08:56:55 AM »
Well are you talking the entire crew? If so the answer is no.
The driver was sealed off from the rest of the crew in his own little abode.

I have experimented off line & one .50 cal inside the top of the turret will smoke it.
Granted I was right beside it in a M3.

The wirb I hit was from behind after I watched it shooting at another plane, I hit it perfectly in the rear of the turret smoking it, as I flew on past it has just fine apart from the smoke and proceeded to shoot the s$$t out of me, I just find it a complete joke I can 1 shot kill a lot of tanks with a dedicated tank buster's uber guns (I will drop the DU gag for the sake of any nerds reading) but I cannot kill the crew of an open top flak with it, I call BS, I think its been modelled like that as a concession to the GV crowd same as the 600yd range.

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2013, 09:01:05 AM »
Why? Because I'm not a moron.

Fooled Me,
 :cheers:
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2013, 09:24:21 AM »
The wirb I hit was from behind after I watched it shooting at another plane, I hit it perfectly in the rear of the turret smoking it, as I flew on past it has just fine apart from the smoke and proceeded to shoot the s$$t out of me, I just find it a complete joke I can 1 shot kill a lot of tanks with a dedicated tank buster's uber guns (I will drop the DU gag for the sake of any nerds reading) but I cannot kill the crew of an open top flak with it, I call BS, I think its been modelled like that as a concession to the GV crowd same as the 600yd range.

Don't jump to conclusions. Perhaps HTC didn't have the resources or system capacity to do what is being asked now.

Those who jump to conclusions first, end up getting shot first.

I do agree that it is wrong, and should be fixed. But please don't assume why things are the way they are.

:salute
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2013, 09:25:27 AM »
but I cannot kill the crew of an open top flak with it, I call BS, I think its been modelled like that as a concession to the GV crowd same as the 600yd range.

And I call BS on the usual conspiracy theory reflex :)

I just took up a Ju-87G and did several runs against Wirbel turrets. Each turret hit had invariably the same result:

Did a few more from even farther out, same results as long as I hit the turret (had some problems doing that, I'm not really used to that plane/gun)

So yes, you can bust WW turrets with a hit in the side in the Ju-87G. Now we (or better: HTC) would have to see your film to see what the actual issue was.

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2013, 09:30:30 AM »
Offline snail?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2013, 09:40:39 AM »
Offline snail?

Yes, offline with MA settings except ammo count.
And before anything starts: There is no different damage model offline. We used offline tests in the pasts to find GV armor bugs together with Pyro (for example the top armor impact angle bug).

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2013, 09:43:36 AM »
Yes, offline with MA settings except ammo count.
And before anything starts: There is no different damage model offline. We used offline tests in the pasts to find GV armor bugs together with Pyro (for example the top armor impact angle bug).

Well wtg you have proved absolutely nothing there, offline I (and anyone else) can 1 shot kill every GV on the field including the wirb with con-sumate ease in a Stuka. Now go to the MA and try your test its a whole different ballgame

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2013, 09:44:27 AM »
Well wtg you have proved absolutely nothing there, offline I (and anyone else) can 1 shot kill every GV on the field including the wirb with con-sumate ease in a Stuka. Now go to the MA and try your test its a whole different ballgame

Oh my...

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2013, 09:46:42 AM »
The Wirblewind, Ostwind, and M16 are very easy to damage.  IMO, it is too easy.  Even the Oscar with its paired .50 cal MG's can turret any of those three AA platforms well enough.  Just get enough shots on target and "puuf".

I have yet to not have a hit from my Stuka G-2, Hurricane IID, or IL-2 (I use 23mm), not disable the turret of any of those three.  The same goes for most every other fighter I've used as well.  Just get the shots in to the turret and that is all it takes (need to hit the gun).  I have hit the turret armor while in low angle shallow dive and not disabled it, but that has to do with the armor doing its job and not getting enough shots on target.

The thing with the Stuka G-2 and Hurricane IID (and ultimately the IL-2 as well), is to be patient and take only accurate shots.  Get the convergence to 275 or 300, and WAIT until you have a good gun solution on the target.  Don't bother firing at 600 yards unless you're in the IL-2 with plenty of ammo and you have the "spray and pray" mentality with the goal of damaging a turret and not destroying the vehicle instead.

Shot for shot, I've found the Stuka G-2 to be the most effective at busting tanks.  I don't know if it because of the projectile composition or the weight/velocity thing, or both.  Maybe it could be an accuracy thing, trajectory related, I don't know.  Finding actual data or rather the correct data on the German BK 37mm is difficult, I'm not sure which ammo it is using either.  Is our G-2 using the APCR or regular AP?    
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2013, 10:17:47 AM »
Fooled Me,
 :cheers:

Obviously never seen me in my F8 at a tank spawn  :noid :noid.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"