Author Topic: Grumman Rules the Sky  (Read 13811 times)

Offline J.A.W.

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Re: Grumman Rules the Sky
« Reply #315 on: January 21, 2014, 09:57:28 PM »
I'm asking the question... You're answering.

Yes, & you will find - correct to a fairly high degree of confidence, unlike some made-up B.S. - answers here..

http://www.fai.org/records

"Cybermen don't make promises..
Such ideas have no value."

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #316 on: January 21, 2014, 09:59:01 PM »
Yes, & you will find - correct to a fairly high degree of confidence, unlike some made-up B.S. - answers here..

http://www.fai.org/records

If you keep ducking, you'll get dizzy.
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline J.A.W.

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #317 on: January 21, 2014, 10:01:12 PM »
You provide your answer, Widey, & I'll fact check it, - like your stuff usually badly needs..

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #318 on: January 21, 2014, 10:02:46 PM »
You provide your answer, Widey, & I'll fact check it, - like your stuff usually badly needs..

Back in the windbag mode, I see. Just tell us what record was broken, and what set it.
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline GAReaper

• Zinc Member
« Reply #319 on: January 21, 2014, 10:07:19 PM »
Back in the windbag mode, I see. Just tell us what record was broken, and what set it.

Oh come on now WW that would require actual research instead of just pure trolling. You should know better by now  :bolt:
Bones87
56th FG Zemke's Wolfpack

Offline J.A.W.

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #320 on: January 21, 2014, 10:07:30 PM »

Don't think so ol' buddy, 'windbag' mode is your specialty..

Don't worry, if you get this one wrong too, I wont resort to any emotive cheap shots, either..

Offline J.A.W.

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #321 on: January 21, 2014, 10:09:17 PM »
Oh come on now WW that would require actual research instead of just pure trolling. You should know better by now  :bolt:

& if you actually read the posts - you could check the FAI records list, that I linked - instead of 'trolling'..

Offline GAReaper

• Zinc Member
« Reply #322 on: January 21, 2014, 10:12:52 PM »
I actually have read the posts. And what has been pointed out several times before is that the FAI has nothing to do with this. You keep throwing that out there. No matter how many times you do it's not going to change anything. Is the FAI record the only thing you are arguing about on here? No. You keep bringing up headwind etc. And no matter how many people respond to you and try to give you the correct answer you argue with everyone. That is why it looks like you are purely in this for the troll. Which judging from your multiple posts in different threads arguing with people, is correct.

I can't believe I took the bait.  :bhead
Bones87
56th FG Zemke's Wolfpack

Offline J.A.W.

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #323 on: January 21, 2014, 10:29:06 PM »
Well, if you had read the posts then you'd know it was Widey's ('silly' according to FLS) suggestion
that it was an FAI record in the 1st place..

& I note that your posting  'contribution' here pretty much meets a 'trolling' definition too..

Why don't YOU answer Widey's question?

Offline GAReaper

• Zinc Member
« Reply #324 on: January 21, 2014, 10:37:02 PM »
Years ago, having tired of dealing with experts, an inquiry made to the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale produced the following from Thierry Montigneaux, Assistant Secretary General of the at FAI:
“The 'time to climb' record category was proposed to FAI by the National Aeronautic Association of the USA at the June 1950 FAI General Conference. It was then added to the Sporting Code.

“The first mention of a 'time to climb' world record in our books was for a flight made by a British pilot onboard a Gloster Meteor on 31th August 1951.

“No performance set in 1946 could therefore have qualified as an official ‘world’ record, as this category of record did not exist then. However, it may well be that the NAA had accepted a category of ‘national records’ for time-to-climb prior to their June 1950 proposal to FAI.”

So, in 1946 there was no “World Record” class for climb to time. No wonder no one can find one.

An inquiry to the National Aeronautic Association produced this response from Art Greenfield, Director, Contest and Records:

“It's difficult to determine from the file, but the U.S. national record in 1946 was either ‘Fastest Climb to 10,000 Feet,’ or ‘Time to Climb 3,000 Meters.’ The switch from feet to meters occurred around that time, presumably to gain acceptance from the international community at FAI.

“In any event, both performances were calculated and the time to 10,000 feet was 97.8 seconds; the time to 3,000 meters (9,843 feet) was 96.1 seconds.

“The record I quoted was set by LCDR M.W. Davenport in a Bearcat on November 22, 1946, in Cleveland."

And lastly, one evening before his passing, whilst pondering the remains of dinner, I took the opportunity to raise this subject of this long ago event with Bill Leonard, the same Cdr. Leonard who made the attempt prior to Davenport’s record. He confirmed that the only performance modification to the F8F’s was to bypass the safety lock on the emergency war power setting to allow water injection with the landing gear in the down position. These were standard F8F’s. His plane was armed, with ammo, armor in place, and loaded with 50% fuel. Butch Davenport’s F8F was configured the same only without the ammunition.

But I'm guessing you didn't even take the time to read that. Am I right? Clearly I am, since if you had then your first little comment would be null and void. And in fact I am not trolling. Only curious why you continue to try to get a rise out of people. But I guess you didn't read my first post either. I wouldn't guess so.

Lastly, I won't answer his question because unlike you I do not claim to know everything. In fact I have no clue about any air records. I have an above average knowledge of WW1 and WW2 aircraft because I have always been fascinated with them since I was a child. Even so I still don't know everything about them, and learn something new everyday. If you would have actually taken the time to read my first post instead of continuing to try to get a rise out of people you would have seen what my "contribution" to this post were. It is that it irritates me when people come on here and post stuff only to try to get attention, or to rile people up.

Do you even play Aces High or plan on playing it??? If so what is your in game name?
Bones87
56th FG Zemke's Wolfpack

Offline J.A.W.

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #325 on: January 21, 2014, 10:43:19 PM »
Re-read post #38 this thread, & stand corrected..

Offline GAReaper

• Zinc Member
« Reply #326 on: January 21, 2014, 10:48:07 PM »
Re-read post #38 this thread, & stand corrected..

And yet I'm not talking about another thread. I'm talking about this one. Even if it was said in that thread, it was older and clearly he corrected the mistake if you even took the time to read what I just posted. Which again I'm guessing you didn't. But oh wait I forgot, no matter what you are always right.

Again I ask do you even play this game? If so in game name?
Bones87
56th FG Zemke's Wolfpack

Offline J.A.W.

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #327 on: January 21, 2014, 10:56:03 PM »
Kindly provide the thread & post # where "he corrected the mistake"..

& as an A-H player identity-wise, I choose not to broadcast that information..

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #328 on: January 21, 2014, 10:58:06 PM »
Again I ask do you even play this game? If so in game name?

The troll is winning in these threads.

Pretty amazing.

- oldman

Offline GAReaper

• Zinc Member
« Reply #329 on: January 21, 2014, 11:00:58 PM »
You just proved my point exactly. You didn't even take the time to read through the whole post of what I JUST posted. And very clearly didn't read the one before. I ask for your in game name because as it stands it seems like you are someone that actually isn't a member of the AH community coming here just to rile up paying members of the community. You very clearly have no interest in actual facts, otherwise you would take the time to read the WHOLE post that people make when speaking to you. Thank you very much for confirming mine (and probably multiple others) suspicion that you are just here to get people worked up.
Bones87
56th FG Zemke's Wolfpack