Author Topic: $600 Gaming PC? Help!  (Read 325 times)

Offline FYB

• Silver Member
$600 Gaming PC? Help!
« on: December 23, 2013, 01:05:01 PM »
I finally managed to log into my original account, no more guest/read only. There's much to post on. :devil

So I'm computer stupid when it comes to what parts work best and or how to build something that's actually worth the price. I have a DVD drive (No need for Blu-Ray), and 2x250GB hard drives (with Windows 7 Ultimate), so there's no need to worry over those, unless I need to re-buy Windows 7?

I'd like help, I know some of you know A LOT about PC's and could make a build worth every penny, plus teach me a few things as I'm very curious.

My brother tells me that most games only utilize 4 cores, which makes me wonder why the heck I see 6, 8, 10, and 12 core processors around, could anybody tell me more about the benefits of 6 cores and up? If you could give me advice, or any type of help I'd be ever so grateful. My current 8+ most likely 10 year old, can't remember, computer is failing badly, and I'm in serious need of a new one. Thankfully it's Christmas.  :cheers:

Good to be back.  :salute
Most skill based sport? -
The sport of understanding women.

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
Re: $600 Gaming PC? Help!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 01:11:04 PM »
  Go to the Hardware/ software forum there is a lot of good info there.  :aok
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline FYB

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 01:13:19 PM »
  Go to the Hardware/ software forum there is a lot of good info there.  :aok
I have posted on one of those as well. I just think our community might have just as good if not better advice.  :)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 02:06:33 PM »
My brother tells me that most games only utilize 4 cores, which makes me wonder why the heck I see 6, 8, 10, and 12 core processors around, could anybody tell me more about the benefits of 6 cores and up?
Non-gaming applications.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 04:57:53 PM »
We have our own "Hardware/Software" threads That is what he meant. Check them out here...

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/board,18.0.html

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 06:36:15 PM »
$600 seems difficult to me.  Can you stretch it to $700 or $750?

Offline FYB

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 07:20:36 PM »
$600 seems difficult to me.  Can you stretch it to $700 or $750?
Yes, it can be stretched.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 07:34:53 PM »
In that case, I'd get:

Dell Inspiron 660 (i5-3340 processor):  $530 (through the small-office section of Dell.com)
GeForce GTX 650 Ti graphics card:  $130 (I like Gigabyte brand and would try MSi brand, from Newegg.com or TigerDirect.com)
Seasonic 600 W power supply:  $65 (or some other reputable 600 W power supply, maybe Thermaltake, from Newegg.com)
total = $725

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 07:38:01 PM »
Or I'd get a GeForce 650 Ti Boost if I could find one at less than $170, but it seems those are hard to find currently (perhaps everyone sold out due to Christmas).

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 07:58:24 PM »
FYB, what type are your 2 harddrives and what type is your DVD ?

I don't mean the brand! What connector type? IDE- ATA 33/66/100 ( just one of these numbers, they are the Mb transfer speeds for ATA IDE drives....)

or are your harddrives and DVD come with SATA type 1 , SATA 2 or SATA 3  ( SATA drives step up to 1 = 1.5 Gbps , SATA 2 = 3.0 Gbps and SATA 3 = 6.0 Gbps transfer rate for data,  in simple terms )

If you have older ATA type IDE harddrives or DVD drive, then they utilize the wide ribbon type cables and most likely any new computer or new motherboard will not be able to use them, without buying and installing an adapter card whether it be a PCI or PCIe based adapter card...

Just a headsup, hope this helps

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC