Author Topic: Persistant Squelch  (Read 2259 times)

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
Re: Persistant Squelch
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2014, 10:09:13 AM »
What I find is it is not as much a given player that ultimately gets on my nerves, although I would certainly prefer to not have to deal with them obviously, hence this thread.

No, the major irritation is the fact that I am paying a company for a service, and that company is taking the position that in every instance it occurs, the "harasser" is more valuable to them than the "harassee".

That is the truly frustrating bit here.

It might be a stretch to claim this but I agree it's odd from the HTC perspective.  This feature request has come up before (from customers)....and it is continually shot down by HTC (the service provider) for reasons that don't seem to make a whole lot of sense.  

It may be there are other factors at play here that are not being disclosed (e.g. limitations of the application) or it could just be HTC feeling they know best.  In either case, I agree it's frustrating.
Going by "Hoplite" now. :)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 10:11:15 AM »
I have never said that the reason I do not wish to implement perma squelch was because of the possible reuse of a game id.

I had never even heard of that reason until today.

2nd don't mix the argument by saying we should have a squelch system, to then argue that we should have a perma squelch system. You can already squelch anyone you wish except moderators.

The only issue is does the squelch remain in place from day to day. I view it as if someone is causing enough issues that many people thing he should be squelched for ever, then I don't even want that person in the game. Hence perma squelch would be used more as an excuse for bad behavior (well if you don't like what I say just squelch me forever) then it would be a good thing.

We also have the reporting feature which will squelch people for multiple weeks.

HiTech

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 10:27:44 AM »
I can understand your reasoning, Hitech, but one person's annoyance may be another persons entertainment...thus the question directed to me as to why would I squelch a certain person the questioner finds amusing.  

I can think of several players I'd like to permanently squelch to save me the trouble of having to do so every time I log in.  At the same time I don't feel those individuals are so bad they deserve a permanent boot from the game.   My list of "permasquelch" worthy players is pretty small (three at most) so the lack of this feature isn't a deal killer for me.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 10:31:09 AM »
The only issue is does the squelch remain in place from day to day. I view it as if someone is causing enough issues that many people thing he should be squelched for ever, then I don't even want that person in the game. Hence perma squelch would be used more as an excuse for bad behavior (well if you don't like what I say just squelch me forever) then it would be a good thing.

Here's the thing though.  I know for myself there are only a couple people that make me wish for permasquelch.  They aren't particularly offensive, they aren't particularly doing anything that's against the rules so there's nothing to report them for.

They are simply repetitive, constantly talking, and I find them annoying.  I don't think they should be silenced in the game, as I said they're not doing anything against the rules.  I just don't want to hear their drivel.

It doesn't kill me to retype the squelch when I notice them, but as Vortex said, if I don't want to hear what someone has to say today, I probably won't tomorrow.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 10:38:46 AM »
They are simply repetitive, constantly talking, and I find them annoying.  I don't think they should be silenced in the game, as I said they're not doing anything against the rules.  I just don't want to hear their drivel.

Oh yes, +1
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Vortex

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 11:03:46 AM »
I have never said that the reason I do not wish to implement perma squelch was because of the possible reuse of a game id.

2nd don't mix the argument by saying we should have a squelch system, to then argue that we should have a perma squelch system. You can already squelch anyone you wish except moderators.

We also have the reporting feature which will squelch people for multiple weeks.

HiTech

Excellent, thanks for the clarification on this issue HT. Disregard the previous assumptions we were arguing around upthread.

I would pose for consideration the fact that we will all have different barometers for what we do and do not want to hear in game. Your position of not wanting to have players who engage in bad conduct in game makes perfect sense. But we are not always talking about outright violations of the EULA when one player communicates in a negative manner with another. Many times we are simply talking about what would best be clasified as "annoyances"....player pipes off at you directly, does so frequent enough that it is annoying, but it is not, at base, threatening or the like. But is it sufficient enough to have someones' account banned? I don't know. Personally for what I have in mind I would not even want to suggest that in these instances.  

But it does hinder my gameplay and I would like the tools to be able to control that. I guess that is at the root of this. I would like to tools to better control that interaction, rather than have that passed on to HTC. If it is serious enough one would be filing a formal complaint to be sure, but for the majority of times I don't think we are talking about that.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 11:08:54 AM by Vortex »
--)-Vortex----
The Musketeers, circa 1990

AH In-Game Handle: Vort

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2014, 11:27:02 AM »

HiTech

I know I've reported one single person probably 10 times in the past for idoitic "flame baiting" and it never turned into a mute...so now I choose to ignore said person with squelch every time I see him come online. That is why I want permasquelch. (This person is liked by a good portion of community but is by far the biggest troll in game)

And thank you for stopping that rumor about the username...think it would be too easy to tie the squelch to the login info not the call sign.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2014, 12:12:39 PM »
+1

I find at most that I would like in a persistent squelch list is maybe 2-3 tops.  It is just those that so abuse the privilege.

Hmmm...I wonder if AH keeps stats on the most squelched.
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2014, 12:16:40 AM »
I have a keyboard where I can do macros and create a perma squelch list if I so desire.  and i guess since somebody created a macro to auger 300 million times in 2 minutes and thus get an achievement award, I am pretty sure you guys can research how to do the same thing except with a squelch list.

hard to soar like an eagle when there's nothing but turkeys around :).

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2014, 09:59:52 AM »
I have a keyboard where I can do macros and create a perma squelch list if I so desire.  and i guess since somebody created a macro to auger 300 million times in 2 minutes and thus get an achievement award, I am pretty sure you guys can research how to do the same thing except with a squelch list.

hard to soar like an eagle when there's nothing but turkeys around :).

semp

Yep.  We sure can, and I have in the past.  The point being made is, why should we have to?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2014, 10:10:42 AM »
Yep.  We sure can, and I have in the past.  The point being made is, why should we have to?

Wiley.
:aok
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2014, 10:12:47 AM »

Wiley.

Agreed and ditto.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2014, 10:35:41 AM »
Here's the thing though.  I know for myself there are only a couple people that make me wish for permasquelch.  They aren't particularly offensive, they aren't particularly doing anything that's against the rules so there's nothing to report them for.

It doesn't kill me to retype the squelch when I notice them, but as Vortex said, if I don't want to hear what someone has to say today, I probably won't tomorrow.

Wiley.
This pretty much sums it up for me. 

I tune to 200, and actually partly enjoy the banter at times.  I mean really, you couldn't script that kind of entertainment some nights.  Much of my personal interaction on 200 is of a positive nature, though I will admit to occasional disagreements...  :uhoh

There are however a few players who's buffer filling chatter starts to effect my enjoyment of the game.  Some people like them, so it's something that should be left to the user to decide.  There are a select few who have earned an "insta-squelch" when ever I see their first message, these are the ones that need this feature. 

I am up for at least a 24 hour permasquelch, if not longer.
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2014, 10:36:17 AM »

Wiley.

Because there won't be no perma squelch in the game?

Semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline alpini13

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2014, 10:50:04 AM »
sounds like all the americans with all the freedom....want to take away others freedom. if you dont want to hear the guy, just leave,or go to another channel,lol