Author Topic: Where did they go?  (Read 232 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Where did they go?
« on: January 08, 2014, 10:44:42 PM »
The first day I got to fly this camp was late night last Friday night IIRC.

One of the opposing countries had taken our bases all the way back to our strats/HQ on the pinwheel map and, while there was less action there than in other areas, I felt the obvious choice for the enemy was to fly against these strategic targets which were all 100% operational.

Expecting the enemy dar bar from the nearest field to be headed that direction I upped my trusty Spit IX and headed out looking for prey.  To my surprise the dar bar headed S to a friendly GV base rather than E to the anticipated targets so I adjusted my flight path to intercept.  As I flew SW, now a sector from our strategic targets, a base started to flash with no dar bar.  I had been right.  They were headed to the strats but now I was closer to the GV base that was under attack so kept my heading.

As I approached the GV base the dar bar that had been there moved N and a friendly GVer informed me there was a Panzer nearby and two fighters that had recently left.  Being light there was nothing I could do to the Panzer which I informed the friendly about and changed my heading to NE hoping one of the fighters would come back to engage me.  Soon their dar bar dissapeared.

In the meantime someone had uppped near the strats and evidently chased the aggressor away.  I landed SE of the GV base to refuel.

At this point there was a pretty big enemy darbar on the coast only a sector or two away from my position so I headed off that direction.  Once again, as I approached, the enemy dar bar retreated across the channel and the few friendlies who had been there landed.  In the meantime no one was upping against the strats, HQ or the recently under attack GV base.

I arrived at our coastal airfield that had been the center of attention to no one.  I decided to fly W toward an enemy airfield two sectors away to see if I could stir up some action when I noticed a dar bar coming across the channel.  I turned toward it and intercepted a flight of B-26's.

After killing one I was cautious as B-26's in the right hands can be formidable foes.  When I finally did go in again I realized the pilot had run through all his ammo.  I killed a second then ran out of ammo myself so turned for home, gliding to save the remaining fumes I was running on.

It took me almost two hours of flight to get those two kills and land them.  I feel for the late nighters.  Being one myself most of the time this is why I hardly fly anymore.  I really HATE having to chase dissapearing dar bars all over the map.  That's what I get for trying to change it up and not fighting the horde by myself for once.  May as well just sit in a GV or field gun and watch TV.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline NikonGuy

• Copper Member
Re: Where did they go?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 11:29:12 PM »
Chasing dar bars is frustrating for sure .. I usually up bombers in these situations .. the enemy then comes to you :)
You break 'em, I fix 'em.
RAAF Retired Aircraft Maintenance Technician, General Dynamics F111, Lockheed P3C, Douglas A20G & DB7