Author Topic: Eleventh Dueling Bracket & Results  (Read 34570 times)

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
Re: Eleventh Dueling Bracket & Results
« Reply #300 on: February 10, 2014, 04:53:50 PM »
BE, I'm curious as to why so many 1st round duels get a bye?  Is it due to the way the bracket is formulated?  If there are an even number of players, there shouldn't be any byes, especially since there's no ranking or seeding system, but that's just my way of thinking.  Can you clarify this for me?
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #301 on: February 10, 2014, 08:10:20 PM »
BE, I'm curious as to why so many 1st round duels get a bye?  Is it due to the way the bracket is formulated?  If there are an even number of players, there shouldn't be any byes, especially since there's no ranking or seeding system, but that's just my way of thinking.  Can you clarify this for me?

It's because there have to be an equal number of winners and losers in each round.  To get to two finalists four have to fight.  To get to four eight have to fight.  To get to eight sixteen have to fight and so on... 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64 and that's as big as the bracket's ever been. 

As soon as one of those numbers is exceeded I have to move to the next bigger bracket and openings are created until it fills up.  As soon as there are openings there are byes.  I could choose to match everyone in week one but that would just push the byes to a later date so I choose to get them out of the way as early as possible.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #302 on: February 10, 2014, 10:36:50 PM »
It's because there have to be an equal number of winners and losers in each round.  To get to two finalists four have to fight.  To get to four eight have to fight.  To get to eight sixteen have to fight and so on... 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64 and that's as big as the bracket's ever been. 

As soon as one of those numbers is exceeded I have to move to the next bigger bracket and openings are created until it fills up.  As soon as there are openings there are byes.  I could choose to match everyone in week one but that would just push the byes to a later date so I choose to get them out of the way as early as possible.

That's kind of what I was thinking.  That's how we do our baseball brackets.  That was a dumb question on my part. Lol
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #303 on: February 10, 2014, 11:59:42 PM »
That was a dumb question on my part. Lol

No, it wasn't.  It's been asked before.

That's why I guarantee the first 32 players to sign up a spot in the tournament but won't open the 64 player bracket until 40 players have signed up.  I do that so at least half the players signing up get a first round duel but with half getting a duel that leaves 2/3 of the brackets (the other half of the players) getting a bye.  Once past week one everyone in the upper bracket is dueling although losers in the first round potentially face the remaining open slots from the upper, week one byes, in the first round lower bracket.  That was a problem I hadn't anticipated being only the second time I've run double elimination and will look into for the next tournament.

I'm always looking for ways to make the tournament better so any comments and suggestions are apprecieted and at least considered.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline TwinTail

• Nickel Member
« Reply #304 on: February 11, 2014, 01:14:58 AM »
Looking forward to our duels Suns, PM is sent.
d-40 and d-11 easily out turn a spixteen
==*Top Gun*==
TwinTail

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #305 on: February 11, 2014, 02:17:05 AM »
TC I shot a message back, but im using my cell phone.  Let me know if you got it or not.

Heya Lazer,  yes sir, I got your PM and replied to it

Lets shoot for Thursday night 9:300 PM EST ( my time )/ 8:30 PM CST  your time........

just reply back to me if this works for you.....

looking forward to our match, its been a long time since we have flown against each other in these AW skies    :cheers:

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #306 on: February 11, 2014, 08:20:38 AM »
Heya Lazer,  yes sir, I got your PM and replied to it

Lets shoot for Thursday night 9:300 PM EST ( my time )/ 8:30 PM CST  your time........

just reply back to me if this works for you.....

looking forward to our match, its been a long time since we have flown against each other in these AW skies    :cheers:

TC

Lazer, you have him thinking he's back in AW.  Your plan is working!

:)

Heya TC!  <S>
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #307 on: February 11, 2014, 11:48:20 AM »
Violator, the best times for me this week are evenings after about 9:30 PM central time starting Tuesday.  Let me know what works for you. 

Any day is fine, I'll be on around then. I'm guessing  that is 10:30 eastern time for me?? So I'll keep a look out and you do the same!
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #308 on: February 11, 2014, 03:00:09 PM »
Lazer, you have him thinking he's back in AW.  Your plan is working!

Heya TC!  <S>

LOL Mir!!!
these dang smartphones, should  actually be called "dumbphones" , because the auto-correct spelling
seldomly works like it should... it should have been AH .... instead of AW ....

TC
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 03:02:28 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #309 on: February 11, 2014, 03:51:40 PM »
TC can we make it 9pm CST so i have some time to get warmed up? :D

I remember some awesome fights between us in KOTH, and am looking forward to this.  :cheers:

Offline BluBerry

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #310 on: February 11, 2014, 04:16:37 PM »
PM sent to STXAce8

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #311 on: February 11, 2014, 04:38:36 PM »
Lazer, you have him thinking he's back in AW.  Your plan is working!

Heya TC!  <S>

Hope that gives me the edge in the fights, Im going to need it.  :cheers:

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #312 on: February 11, 2014, 07:24:27 PM »
TC can we make it 9pm CST so i have some time to get warmed up? :D

I remember some awesome fights between us in KOTH, and am looking forward to this.  :cheers:

Sure Lazer, 9pm cst will be fine.... I probably could use some warmup practice myself, I'm getting  :old:  rofl...

catch ya online in the DA, Thursday night.... This should be a blast

Cheers

TC

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #313 on: February 11, 2014, 11:10:23 PM »
4fox v violator

P47n violator
F6f 4fox
Ki84 violator
Spit1 4fox
109f 4fox

Great flying. Nice E management. (S)
The Damned(est. 1988)