Author Topic: Eleventh Dueling Bracket & Results  (Read 34095 times)

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
Re: Eleventh Dueling Bracket & Results
« Reply #570 on: March 05, 2014, 07:20:20 PM »
  Then comes along a clear violation of years of dueling tradition with no leadership/say whatsoever on the part of the bracket organizer, opening up a precedent that can be exploited any time out of desperation. 
  :headscratch:

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #571 on: March 05, 2014, 08:05:04 PM »
So tired of how this whole thing has become channel for the worst in people's character.  I open this thread up and its only more vitriol.  First it was being put in the lower bracket because INK flaked on me, then he drops out two days later.  Then comes along a clear violation of years of dueling tradition with no leadership/say whatsoever on the part of the bracket organizer, opening up a precedent that can be exploited any time out of desperation.  Then DJ doesn't film his duels and we refly it so people have some films to watch now BE's dragging his feet on the do-over films.  Not to mention the cheer leading sections.  If this is that important to some of you, you can have it.     :bolt:

First of all you were put into the lower bracket for the following reason:

JETSOM first posted in this thread trying to arrange his duels on 1/12.  No posts from NathBDP until today.  JETSOM advances and NathBDP is dropped to the lower brackets.

Your first post was the 19th, seven days after Ink's and already into the deadline weekend.  Precident for this decision is in the rules and was set several tournaments ago.

As to this: Then comes along a clear violation of years of dueling tradition with no leadership/say whatsoever on the part of the bracket organizer, opening up a precedent that can be exploited any time out of desperation. I can only speculate that you're referring to ride alongs to which I responded:

As to ride alongs I'd frown on it but there's no way that I know of to enforce it.  If there is I may consider adding it to the rules for future tournaments.

I've never changed rules mid stream during a tournament and have no intention to do so now.

As to dragging my feet on the film reviews I'm one guy trying to keep this thing organized and real life is getting in the way of watching a lot of film until this weekend.  As soon as I have time I'll get to it and things will be moving forward again.  It's funny how players can delay duels and hold things up and no one says anything but if I do I'm dragging my feet.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Hoplite

• Nickel Member
« Reply #572 on: March 05, 2014, 08:10:41 PM »

D. A. N. G. E. R!     T. H. R. E. A. D.   O. V. E. R. L. O. A. D.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #573 on: March 05, 2014, 08:11:12 PM »

As to dragging my feet on the film reviews I'm one guy trying to keep this thing organized and real life is getting in the way of watching a lot of film until this weekend.  As soon as I have time I'll get to it and things will be moving forward again.  It's funny how players can delay duels and hold things up and no one says anything but if I do I'm dragging my feet.

+1

BE, why not let Mr Leadership run the next one.  Just a thought
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #574 on: March 05, 2014, 08:12:41 PM »
I think you're doing an awesome job Baldeagl. So what if the next round is delayed by 1 week, who cares! We still get to fight it!  :aok

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #575 on: March 05, 2014, 09:23:03 PM »
I can only speculate that you're referring to ride alongs to which I responded:

Actually I think he was making reference to the tight angle kill from someone else's fight.

I watched the film and the truth is what happened was a fair and clinical kill. The duelling tradition Nath refers to is indeed a thing all duellers know about, but I do not believe it applies in this fight.

What happened was that one pilot made a decisively slower merge and got around in time to line up on the canopy of the other. The opponent pulled in harder and eventually comes to within about 15 degrees off head on, but by this time he has already taken an engine hit. Even in a friendly duel this shot will be taken more often than not. A few rounds squeezed out just to let the other guy know he is under pressure. The difference is that usually this shot will not connect or if it does, significant damage will not be recorded.

In the rare moments when it does produce a kill usually the shooter will say to his friend 'oh, that was a bit tight, sorry' to which the other will usually say 'nah, I didn't have a shot, it was fine.'

In this high pressure competition it is not right to assume that 'a bit tight' shots will not be taken, sometimes successfully.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 09:25:27 PM by mechanic »
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #576 on: March 05, 2014, 10:00:32 PM »

Actually I think he was making reference to the tight angle kill from someone else's fight.

I watched the film and the truth is what happened was a fair and clinical kill. The duelling tradition Nath refers to is indeed a thing all duellers know about, but I do not believe it applies in this fight.

What happened was that one pilot made a decisively slower merge and got around in time to line up on the canopy of the other. The opponent pulled in harder and eventually comes to within about 15 degrees off head on, but by this time he has already taken an engine hit. Even in a friendly duel this shot will be taken more ofte :airplane:n than not. A few rounds squeezed out just to let the other guy know he is under pressure. The difference is that usually this shot will not connect or if it does, significant damage will not be recorded.

In the rare moments when it does produce a kill usually the shooter will say to his friend 'oh, that was a bit tight, sorry' to which the other will usually say 'nah, I didn't have a shot, it was fine.'

In this high pressure competition it is not right to assume that 'a bit tight' shots will not be taken, sometimes successfully.

i just hear a lot of justification of a HO shot.. im beyond giving a crap but wanted to state a fact.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #577 on: March 05, 2014, 11:11:38 PM »
Well, the point has been stabbed at repeatedly since the fight and no one has touched the subtle accusations thrown at Suns until my post. A contradictory reply was obviously desired. Let's not popsiclefoot around the subject any longer.

No offence intended by this comment Lazer, I'd say we've always got along well, but I have not seen you or Nath duelling much over the last 10 years. I have seen Sonic in the DA a fair bit. I think he knows that what I say in the post above is harsh but true.

I would not be happy to get killed like that in the final fight. No one would. But it was not a HO.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #578 on: March 05, 2014, 11:13:43 PM »
the only time a front shot like that is no good...is when you agree to not shoot until after the 3-9 lines.

icon range...anything goes.

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #579 on: March 05, 2014, 11:35:19 PM »
i just hear a lot of justification of a HO shot.. im beyond giving a crap but wanted to state a fact.

You could make a case for both sides in this case. I'm not involved so I'll just stay out.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #580 on: March 06, 2014, 12:16:01 AM »
As to ride alongs I'd frown on it but there's no way that I know of to enforce it.  If there is I may consider adding it to the rules for future tournaments.

For the next tournament you could specify starting the film recorder in the hanger because the join / accept messages would then be on the film (wouldn't they?).

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened" - Dr. Seuss

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #581 on: March 06, 2014, 01:27:23 AM »
You can join in the hanger before you start film. There is no way BaldEagl can look at a film and see if someone was joined. Good thing there's no obvious benefit. You also can't tell who is actually flying an account. Sometimes you just have to trust people's character.  :D

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #582 on: March 06, 2014, 01:42:40 AM »
I thought Muppets liked the 2nd seater mentor.

"chop throttle, he'll fly right by"

I guess they only like certain things when it profits them.
"So far the score is Gunzo 237 - Skyyr 0"
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #583 on: March 06, 2014, 02:05:21 AM »
Nice try, Dolby, but that was an other squad, 2-3 years ago. The quote is from a member of a third squad though.
AoM
City of ice

Offline sunfan1121

• Gold Member
« Reply #584 on: March 06, 2014, 02:07:08 AM »
I thought Muppets liked the 2nd seater mentor.

"chop throttle, he'll fly right by"

I guess they only like certain things when it profits them.
I'm not sure what your saying, but i don't think it's positive.
A drunk driver will run a stop sign. A stoned driver will stop until it turns green.