Author Topic: NEW PLANE: Tupolev TU-2  (Read 21801 times)

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
Re: NEW PLANE: Tupolev TU-2
« Reply #330 on: February 04, 2014, 02:33:40 PM »
Oh I'm well aware, and I'm certainly not complaining. The other day, I stumbled across an ET37 Tu-2 raid on A7 (I think?) on ndisles in my Ta-152. I had a 10k alt advantage, and bagged 7 Tu-2s and two others for a total of nine kills.

To bad you didnt intercept the nit raid on our HQ last night. My first pass's in my K4 yielded squat until I realized I srill had my aux tank on  :bhead my second got me two and some radiator damage. I think if I had my SB end out of my NB end, and was able to use my taters, I'd have had 5 or 6.

Gutsy raid by the Nits  :salute And they dang near pulled it off. But they made a mistake by not flying close formation. A couple Yaks would have helped too.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #331 on: February 04, 2014, 02:51:42 PM »
I'd say it was a tad undermodled damage-wise. I expected IL2 level damage. But...then again LW fighters with heavy cannon can take apart heavies pretty well so I dont think its a big issue. The TU2S really "feels" about right in all things.

I didn't expect Il2 level of toughness but was surprised how fragile it seems in game.  I would have thought for a Soviet plane, it would be a little more rugged. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline -aper-

• Nickel Member
« Reply #332 on: February 04, 2014, 05:08:44 PM »
I didn't expect Il2 level of toughness but was surprised how fragile it seems in game.  I would have thought for a Soviet plane, it would be a little more rugged. 

ack-ack

It is a good question why did HTC come to the conclusion that Tu-2 had fragile airframe, poor roll rate and poor handling at 350+mph speeds.
You know VVS refused to use Tu-2 as a dive bomber but it was due to too high (uncontrollable) engine's RPM in dive which caused oil leakages followed by engine failures. Though VVS asked for fixing these problems it was found out that the best way is to optimize M-82's reduction gear/propeller size for best level speeds and use the plane as a level bomber only.

If HTC wishes to model Tu-2 properly they should model oil leakages/engine failures at high speeds but bring airframe durability/handling back to normal.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #333 on: February 04, 2014, 05:21:36 PM »
I'm not sure HTC models things like roll rate as.... well, "roll rate". If I had to guess, they model the wings, the ailerons, the flaps, etc. and if let the physics engine take care of it.

I doubt Hitech sat down and said "I bet the Tu-2 had a s**ty roll rate. Pyro, make it so!!"
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline -aper-

• Nickel Member
« Reply #334 on: February 04, 2014, 07:19:55 PM »
I'm not sure HTC models things like roll rate as.... well, "roll rate". If I had to guess, they model the wings, the ailerons, the flaps, etc. and if let the physics engine take care of it.

I doubt Hitech sat down and said "I bet the Tu-2 had a s**ty roll rate. Pyro, make it so!!"

He must have started with "Hey, brother..." ;)

Seriously, people sometimes make mistakes in their calculations. Nothing wrong with it. If the results contradict with common sense then it's time to double check the calculations.

Offline bangsbox

• Silver Member
« Reply #335 on: February 04, 2014, 07:27:36 PM »
The TU-2 to me seems to be rather fragile from the attacker's perspective, for some reason I expected it to be able to take somewhat more punishment that it seems to be able to take.  Of the ones I've shot down, it's only taken a single burst to either catch it on fire or to remove a wing or tail.

ack-ack

It should be weak I believe. It's tail assembly has very little meat to it and wings are not that big and holding a lot of weight. 1 30mm in these areas break it and I'm fine with that. It's very powerful as it is and only has an 20eny so weakness being a trade off is perfect (for game play at least).

Offline -aper-

• Nickel Member
« Reply #336 on: February 04, 2014, 07:44:07 PM »
It should be weak I believe. It's tail assembly has very little meat to it and wings are not that big and holding a lot of weight. 1 30mm in these areas break it and I'm fine with that. It's very powerful as it is and only has an 20eny so weakness being a trade off is perfect (for game play at least).

The plane was originally designed as a dive bomber. It was actually a dive bomber with AM-37 engines (first series). It's airframe from the very beginning was designed  to withstand high-G loadings contrary to airframes of Boston/A-20 or B-26 for example.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #337 on: February 04, 2014, 07:51:02 PM »
1 30mm in these areas break it and I'm fine with that.

so does a burst of 4x .50 caliber machine guns.  That's why it had me wondering if it was this fragile in real life.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song