Author Topic: NEW PLANE: Tupolev TU-2  (Read 23085 times)

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
Re: NEW PLANE: Tupolev TU-2
« Reply #270 on: January 28, 2014, 01:22:09 PM »
i love it.  The planes speed and weapon loadout make it a nice attack vehicle.   :cheers:

I feel its most ideally suited for fast hanger and cv destruction with a superb cannon fire time for deack work.  Not to mention effective pork runs, gv suppersion, decent maneuverability, and deadly cannons.   :joystick:

:airplane:

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 28, 2014, 02:23:48 PM »
After all the testing and charts stuff, time for my subjective assessment.

Nice plane with some unique features. But will it replace my three mainstay medium bombers: B-26, G4M, Ki-67? No not really.
At least not in the true medium bomber role. I find the speed and flexibility of the bomb loadout really nice (especially the 2x1000kg + 4x250kg combination), but the defensive capabilities when flying a formation at altitude leave much to be desired - and it's not fast enough to make up for it. The B-26 is, in my view, the more balanced plane and better suited for tactical targets which require several passes at more than just light defense.
What I see as a role for the Tu-2 in my future arsenal is the single plane close support attacker mission (should do great in that) and (with formation) as a CV killer.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #272 on: January 28, 2014, 02:46:06 PM »
The loadouts do seem nicely versatile.  The lack of versatility is something I dislike about the Mosquito Mk XVI.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #273 on: January 28, 2014, 02:48:33 PM »
What I see as a role for the Tu-2 in my future arsenal is the single plane close support attacker mission (should do great in that) and (with formation) as a CV killer.

agreed, I think people will up a formation just for the extra lives, and stay low in attack mode

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #274 on: January 28, 2014, 03:38:23 PM »

...the Tu-2 in my future arsenal is the single plane close support attacker mission (should do great in that) and (with formation) as a CV killer.

Great, just what the MA needs, another formation of level bombers that can hit a CV while dropping ords at 300mph and can't be hit by CV ack.

It's nice to have a Russian bomber in the game for events. 

It's just sad that it's primary use in the MA will be the exploitation of a game flaw that is a personal pet peeve of mine (that is, virtually unstoppable one-pass sinking of CVs in level bombers).

<S>

Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 28, 2014, 03:46:26 PM »

Great, just what the MA needs, another formation of level bombers that can hit a CV while dropping ords at 300mph and can't be hit by CV ack.

Well, auto CV puffy doesn't really kill the bombers we already have anyway, so that's not worse  in that aspect at least :noid  :bolt:

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #276 on: January 28, 2014, 04:15:29 PM »
Does it have any outer wing ord options, like rockets?
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #277 on: January 28, 2014, 04:20:42 PM »
On thing I find a bit peculiar is the empty weight of the Tu-2S. "Tu-2S-test mule", S/N 100716 had an empty weight of 7474kg*.

In AH, without fuel, bombs or ammo the aircraft weighs 7142kg and still has for example four crew members on board...

(*Gordon & Khazanov)
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #278 on: January 28, 2014, 04:45:49 PM »
After all the testing and charts stuff, time for my subjective assessment.

Nice plane with some unique features. But will it replace my three mainstay medium bombers: B-26, G4M, Ki-67? No not really.
At least not in the true medium bomber role. I find the speed and flexibility of the bomb loadout really nice (especially the 2x1000kg + 4x250kg combination), but the defensive capabilities when flying a formation at altitude leave much to be desired - and it's not fast enough to make up for it. The B-26 is, in my view, the more balanced plane and better suited for tactical targets which require several passes at more than just light defense.

I would say the B26 has more the aspects of a heavy bomber and the TU more a "raider". Its pretty unique. I was able to hit 300 mph at 2k yesterday with a good bombload. I wasnt able to climb it high but I'd like to see how fast it is at 20,000k with its 200 lbs bombs and 2 500 lbs on the wings. Thats a pretty useful porking bombload and I would never turn my back on speed, which was the KI-67s strong point.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 28, 2014, 04:56:59 PM »
I wasnt able to climb it high but I'd like to see how fast it is at 20,000k with its 200 lbs bombs and 2 500 lbs on the wings. Thats a pretty useful porking bombload and I would never turn my back on speed, which was the KI-67s strong point.

I was. :)
The Tu-2s is quite fast, yet it is still not fast enough to prevent interception. I have repeatedly been caught with easy by several fighters at altitudes from 15-22k. And then you will face the problem of limited number of guns, gun arcs and most particularly very limited ammo. The 190 rounds in the top station are gone very quickly.
Similar to (even worse in this regard) bombers like B-25C or Boston III, you better plan your flight so that the chance of interception is low to begin with.

The Ki-67 can defend itself better with the twin tail guns, 20mm top turret and more ammo. The Tu-2S has also a somewhat annoying blind spot from gunners position on the 6 o clock line.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #280 on: January 28, 2014, 07:02:52 PM »
Lol, I bet the TU ends up being the premier GV dive killer. The 3 1,000 kg loadout almost automatically give you 3 GV kills.

The KI-67 will still be used. for the reasons you state. If I want to drop ords at a base AND live to make it home probably nothing will be able to take its place.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #281 on: January 28, 2014, 11:15:33 PM »
Tonight, I had an hour to burn, so I logged into the MA and took a Tu-2 out for the first time (I've flown it offline to learn it's habits).Climbed out to 16k and flew to where to opposing V-bases were. I dropped on and knocked down a VH, and killed an M-18. I spiraled down and headed to the spawns between the bases. I mostly did spotting for friendly GVs, usually marking the enemy tanks with tracers (ended it up with 4 assists doing that). I spot an enemy 190 (later found to be a Dora) and an F4U. The Corsair stays distant, worried about a friendly fighter. The Dora heads for my Tupolev. I turn into the 190 and we merge clean (I expected an HO). I reverse off the merge instantly, in a climbing turn. The 190 began a turn, saw that I was already around and thought better of it. He extends to almost 2k, and turns back. He didn't extend enough, as I carried more E than he judged. I took a snap shot about 40 degrees off the Dora's nose, getting a few hits. The Dora took an oil hit (and at least two other hits). Watching me over his shoulder, the 190 driver gets too close to our V-base, and drawing a lot of fire. Seeing this, he breaks hard right. The big Tupolev easily turns inside of the 190. At about 30 off his six, I pull what looks like enough lead and fire. His wing is shot off and he goes in. With a turn radius a bit tighter than a Yak-9U (with and without flaps), out turning the Dora was no problem whatsoever.

The Tu-2 is going to be fun.....
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 28, 2014, 11:22:36 PM »
Lol, I bet the TU ends up being the premier GV dive killer. The 3 1,000 kg loadout almost automatically give you 3 GV kills.

I did that tonight, and felt using 1000kg is like cheating. Two Panther and a Jagdpanther in one sortie without any real effort. No accuracy necessary, just sloppily lob the eggs into the general direction and an estimated 75 perks are gone.

HT, it's about time for a perked ords system ... or no perk tank will ever leave the concrete again  :old:

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #283 on: January 28, 2014, 11:25:20 PM »

I did that tonight, and felt using 1000kg is like cheating. Two Panther and a Jagdpanther in one sortie without any real effort. No accuracy necessary, just sloppily lob the eggs into the general direction and an estimated 75 perks are gone.

HT, it's about time for a perked ords system ... or no perk tank will ever leave the concrete again  :old:

And I happened to be the Jagdpanther  :cry.  This is why I usually up either an M3 with the 75 or an M18.  What's the point in upping a heavily perked tank only to get bombed?

#S#

Josh
Tours 86 - 296

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 29, 2014, 12:33:46 AM »
And I happened to be the Jagdpanther  :cry

I'm sorry  :(

I usually refrain from bombing tank battles like that, but I had to test the new toy somewhere. You died in the name of science  :old: