Author Topic: NEW PLANE: Tupolev TU-2  (Read 23076 times)

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Re: NEW PLANE: Tupolev TU-2
« Reply #300 on: January 29, 2014, 10:10:27 AM »

Has the same engine as the La-7, which has 10 minutes of WEP

Ah thx snailman!   I was sure I let it run past 5 mins and shut it down thinking it might be a bug,I guess I should have just let it run out and I would have known!

Defensively all you need do is lower nose and most fighters will only be able to hang on the 6. I was at 20K did a 2000 fpm dive and was going 485 TAS in no time,I pushed it over to find compression speed and then waited to see if anything would break,the ailerons both departed but I was able to slow it,straighten it out and even land it without those parts.... seems unnecessary and unlike Uncle Joe to allow parts to be put on an airplane if they arent really needed..... :devil

:salute

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #301 on: January 29, 2014, 10:55:45 AM »

Has the same engine as the La-7, which has 10 minutes of WEP

Also over 8k it virtually does not matter - it does not change performance above 8K
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #302 on: January 29, 2014, 12:03:06 PM »
  TU2 enters compression around 505 TAS and breaks at 510 TAS,ailerons seem to depart first.  Rudder isn't very effective,it's ok but I thought it would have more authority.

It also has a viscious stall,much like the 110C but it is easy to recover from.
At those speeds half the fighters in the set will not be able to run it down and others just barely, not to mention that the rear gunners are fully functional to shoot at fighters closing at 505+1 mph. It can probably maintain this speed in a shallow dive of 3000 fpm? so starting from 15-16 kft it has 5 minutes of immunity from a chasing fighter. I suppose it also keeps the formation at those speeds?

HTC seems to be very generous in the speed and G limitation for the bombers. I'd love to know if real B17s, B26s and Lancasters could dive at 500 mph and pull 6G into a blackout. Also I want to know what the crew inside were screaming.

I tried it. If you ditch the formation it is a decent fighter as long as the speeds are not above 300 mph, so as a single plane its best defense it to fight the fighters if it cannot dive away from them - at least long enough to get help from friendlies. If formations are excluded, it is the best non-perked bomber in the game. Period.

The stall is typical to all the twins in the game. P-38 has it a little less vicious due to the zero torque. I think this has to do with the fact that for twins the ratio of wingspan to length is much larger than in single fighters and this makes them less stable when departing controlled flight. Also, the placing of the engines far from the center of gravity increase their roll and yaw inertia significantly - once you get them tumbling and spinning it is harder to stop.

Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #303 on: January 29, 2014, 12:12:14 PM »
 Bozon,   I didnt use formations so I cant say if you keep them or not! As for the amount of G's I was unable to produce a blackout at any speeds,maybe I wasnt tryi ng hard enough but I had combat trim enabled so that might have also effected the amount of G's you can pull.

The only thing I found it really lacking in was roll rate,whether fast or slow it just doesnt want to roll,but it is a bomber so I dont think the crew would like it to roll any faster than it does...... :devil   I could see empty vodka bottles being thrown at the pilot if he tried too..... :O

:salute

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #304 on: January 29, 2014, 03:14:45 PM »
No its not a roller. I'd bet of all the 2 engined bombers it rolls the worst. "Sluggish" best describes its roll.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline palef

• Gold Member
« Reply #305 on: January 29, 2014, 06:42:35 PM »
It flies well enough for something that looks like an insectoid reproductive organ.
Retired

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #306 on: January 29, 2014, 07:15:50 PM »
I'll be trying it online shortly.  Had to rewrite my TM Cougar profile as the old one seems to have been lost.  I suspect I junked it or overwrote it accidentally.

I've been working on getting its numbers into my fighter-bomber spreadsheet.  Since this was fighter-bomber data (minimum of 1000lbs of damage from ordnance) I found that I completely lacked Russian weapon damage and also 100kg and 2000kg bomb damage because none of the German or Japanese fighter-bombers carried 100kg bombs and no other aircraft I consider a potential fighter-bomber carries either class of weapon.  It turns out that, by about the damage of a single .303, the two 1000kg bombs and nine 100kg bombs do the most damage.  Including the 1044lbs of damage from its 300 rounds of cannon ammo, that load totals 7300.2lbs of damage.  Taking the two 1000kg bombs and the four 250kg bombs totals 7300lbs of damage.  The Tu-2S is also the only aircraft on my fighter-bomber list that has an actual bomb sight.

Basically it seems to me that the Tu-2S is actually what the RAF in the pre-war years thought they had in the Handley-Page Hamden, what they called a fighting bomber that was so agile it would be able to dogfight so they gave the pilot a fixed .303 machine gun.  Hampdens got hacked out of the sky by the Germans.  It looks like the Russians got it right with the Tu-2S.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #307 on: January 30, 2014, 03:31:25 AM »
They seem to be fast too.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #308 on: January 30, 2014, 04:33:34 AM »
They are fast. And they soak up a fair amount of damage. Nor are they totally defenseless. As you see the 12.7mm UB compares very favorably to its Yank counterpart. Getting hit by 6 from a formation should not be taken lightly.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #309 on: January 30, 2014, 05:53:24 AM »
They are fast. And they soak up a fair amount of damage. Nor are they totally defenseless. As you see the 12.7mm UB compares very favorably to its Yank counterpart. Getting hit by 6 from a formation should not be taken lightly.
(Image removed from quote.)

Where does that chart come from?  Just curious.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Arbiter

• Zinc Member
« Reply #310 on: January 30, 2014, 07:32:56 AM »
My impressions so far, based on flying it offline and fighting it in the LWMA:  Good medium bomber, fast, climbs and turns well, horrid roll rate.

The first night the TU was released I upped a 110 and killed two by coming up underneath both.  Another TU was able to keep me on its dead six a bit longer than I would have liked due to it's speed.  I took a little damage but it died from a tater overdose.  I would not want to turn fight one slow in a heavy twin-engined fighter like the 410 or Mosquito.

I think the TU is a quality addition to the AH plane set.  Well done HTC.  :salute
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 09:10:56 AM by Arbiter »
Arbiter

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #311 on: January 30, 2014, 08:09:29 AM »

Are you sure it was the Tu-2 you were trying? ;)
That depend on if the P-51D could carry both 2000 pounds of bombs and rockets at the same time. Then yes the P-51D carries a larger bomb load at least in our game. Without looking again I think the Tu-2 only carries 2000 pounds.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 30, 2014, 08:26:02 AM »
Without looking again I think the Tu-2 only carries 2000 pounds.

6600lb
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #313 on: January 30, 2014, 09:24:27 AM »
Where does that chart come from?  Just curious.

The Russian ammunition page tho Im having trouble finding the exact link. I'll post it later when I get home. http://www.russianammo.org/Russian_Ammunition_Page_145mm.html

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 30, 2014, 10:51:36 AM »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman