Author Topic: Track IR  (Read 2384 times)

Offline -error

• Zinc Member
Re: Track IR
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2014, 02:06:59 PM »
You can tell by the software [... skip ...] these people care.

You can tell by their software and service that they dodn't care much. There are bugs and feature requests on their board hanging for years without being addressed.
F.e. notoriuos "make difference between sticks" request.

Although I'm enjoying using trackir5 I wouldn't count on their support too much.
AH: impulse9

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2014, 02:23:52 PM »
You can tell by their software and service that they dodn't care much. There are bugs and feature requests on their board hanging for years without being addressed.
F.e. notoriuos "make difference between sticks" request.

Although I'm enjoying using trackir5 I wouldn't count on their support too much.

Their support provided me with replacement hardware at no additional cost to me and reimbursement on an additional unit that I had purchased along the way.   My experience has been very positive to date.  I only use it to play AH and I'm not looking for anything other then what it already does.  I have no idea what "F.e. notorious "make difference between sticks" request" means so I can't comment on that.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2014, 02:32:43 PM »
Imao.....  :ahand

if you think like that... dont even bother cooking food at home to safe money... because probably all the kitchen equipment you gonna use already costs way too much... you better eat outside all the time.

Your mixing apples and oranges, but perhaps English is not your first langue  perhaps instead of saying "I was gonna buy TrakcIR, after a small search I founded that you can build it by yourself only for 15buck (freetrack)... "  what you should have said is: That after a search on the internet I found that I could build it by myself for only 15 bucks (freetrack).  That would be your experience and your actual cost, but my point was and still is, that someone else that not owned all the components needed was going to spend more than 15 bucks.  And yes, someone just starting off setting up a house hold for the first time, buying all the pots and pans and dishware for cooking that first meal is going to spend , on a price per meal basis. far more to produce that first meal than any other they ever cook.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline WEZEL

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2014, 06:37:02 PM »
Thanks, it took a bit of twisting and tweaking, but it's up and loaded. Will give it a run today. Thanks

Your welcome sir  :salute

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2014, 12:58:26 AM »
Well after further experimentation I'm finding that the system works great for planes with bubble canopies, but for the FM2, my ride of choice, it is somewhat limited. The best rear view you can get out of that bird is when you pull away from the seat and raise the view as high as it can go. While it's physically possible to do with Track IR, (lean forward, look behind and sit up as high as you can), it is not as quick as the instant view you get with a hat switch. Also, if you try to duplicate the view by moving your body around, you can end up far out of position when you turn back, and you have to recenter the view. All of this makes it less than optimal for my beloved Wildcat. I've simply decided to disable the system when I go into combat in an FM2, but I still use it for birds that have better views. Unless someone knows of a way to remedy this, I'm afraid it's going to have to be my methodology from now on.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2014, 04:05:20 AM »
Simply map a button to look straight back. Keeping it pressed down you can then look around just like you'd normally do for looking at the front sector.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2014, 06:34:01 AM »
Well I can see the advantages of the system, it's still far from perfect, at least for me. I find that I still can't reliably see straight up, and the views to the rear are a lot worse than with the hat switch. I've tried messing with the x y z settings, but nothing seems to fix the problem. What's worse, when I'm trying to look around in the middle of a fight, the view often focuses in a totally useless position.

The trackir offers just as good of a view as the hat switch.  Something is not set right.  Here is a good test.

Try a P38 in off line practice and just sit on the runway.  The canopy has a bar that runs over your head then down the sides.  Set your head positions  so when you look left or right down the wing, you are looking just in front of the bar,  save your head position.  Now look up.  The bar should be straight over your head.  The canopy supports in the P38 offer you a good gauge of how your Trackir is working.

What is your speed setting slider set on?

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2014, 07:28:09 AM »
Well after further experimentation I'm finding that the system works great for planes with bubble canopies, but for the FM2, my ride of choice, it is somewhat limited. The best rear view you can get out of that bird is when you pull away from the seat and raise the view as high as it can go. While it's physically possible to do with Track IR, (lean forward, look behind and sit up as high as you can), it is not as quick as the instant view you get with a hat switch. Also, if you try to duplicate the view by moving your body around, you can end up far out of position when you turn back, and you have to recenter the view. All of this makes it less than optimal for my beloved Wildcat. I've simply decided to disable the system when I go into combat in an FM2, but I still use it for birds that have better views. Unless someone knows of a way to remedy this, I'm afraid it's going to have to be my methodology from now on.

The view Keys still function even if TIR is running.   You could still use that key you have programmed for that perfect instant view  that you feel you need.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2014, 08:22:55 AM »
The view Keys still function even if TIR is running.   You could still use that key you have programmed for that perfect instant view  that you feel you need.
When I use the view key with TIR on it defaults to the standard view, not the modified one I have programmed.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2014, 09:33:50 AM »
When I use the view key with TIR on it defaults to the standard view, not the modified one I have programmed.

Just reset it and push F10
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline ColTomb

• Copper Member
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2014, 11:00:12 AM »
You need to pause TIR first,then adjust your view with the page up/down or arrow keys, F10 to save.

Offline Shrike

• Nickel Member
      • Arabian Knights Official Web Page
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2014, 12:36:50 PM »
Muzzy make sure you turn on Options->Preferences->View Options->TrackIR Object Relative Move in AcesHigh.

That makes looking around headrests a lot easier.

I'm struggling with looking straight up too.  I haven't figured this one out but I did finally get comfortable with my rear views.

I had a similar initial experience with looking back until I made the change Auger suggests in his post.  It made a huge difference.  I also center TrackIR with my head down slightly.  When I sit upright the view is from a higher seat vantage point.  When I turn my head and look aft the view is at the highest point.  Another thing I've found is the head tilt is quite handy for looking around the seat as opposed to looking over the seat.  I fly the F6F and my rear view with TrackIR is much better.  It's not crystal clear like a Spit, Pony, or a late model Jug but it's better :).  I'm not certain if this will work in the hog.
AKShrike - CO Arabian Knights
USA!!!
http://aksquad.net/
USAF 85-95

Offline 2DIE4

• Zinc Member
      • The Fighting 420th
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2014, 11:10:55 PM »
I've noticed that the hat clip actually works better than the pro clip. I was using my pro clip till my head set hit the floor and broke the pro clip. I then started using my hat clip until I could get another pro clip and found that rear views were much better than with the pro clip. I have yet to replace it because the hat clip seems to work much better. Problems looking up still happen, but the fix is just to move the hat clip forward on my head.
Smoke em if you can...!!!!