Author Topic: P51D V Tiffy  (Read 2442 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Re: P51D V Tiffy
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2014, 10:55:49 PM »
SkatSr was a wicked good P-51 turn fighter.  There have been others as well.

A very good P-51 pilot will give any plane in the arena a difficult challenge without running away.  So will a very good Jug pilot or a very good 190 pilot, none of which are considered turn fighters.

Once you get it out of your head that a plane can't turn and start thinking in three dimensions using three axis you'll be amazed at what it can do.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2014, 01:04:27 AM »
well ya..it was designed for speed.....but like any fighter in this game...givin enough time it can do wonders...

OlDemon is a perfect example of that with the 51....he seriously made that 51 dance like no other....I remember fighting him on the deck and he is fighting...turn fighting my Hurri..... :O  I was very impressed with what he could do with that plane.

and then there is M00t with the 152..... :O

See, you're confusing things. They maneuver, yes, but they don't turn fight.

From what I remember of my few encounters with moot, he uses the vertical a lot more than he uses flat turns.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2014, 01:13:50 AM »
See, you're confusing things. They maneuver, yes, but they don't turn fight.

From what I remember of my few encounters with moot, he uses the vertical a lot more than he uses flat turns.

I am not confusing anything :aok

I know what TnB is and BnZ...both I mentioned TnBed in their perspective rides...

notice I didnt mention "steve" in the 51? even though he was the very tops in that plane....but he used it for what it was designed...he stayed fast but also flew aggressive...in other words he didnt make a pass go 4K away and then come back...He knew how to do proper BnZin in one of the best planes for that....

OlDemon TURN fought the 51

there is more to TURN fighting then the very basic simple flat turn.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2014, 01:28:18 AM »
in other words he didnt make a pass go 4K away and then come back...He knew how to do proper BnZin in one of the best planes for that....

I beg to differ.  I think Steve killed me twice.  Both times he ran until I turned around then came back and picked me while I was engaged with someone else.  AKDG used to do the exact same thing.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2014, 01:33:01 AM »
I beg to differ.  I think Steve killed me twice.  Both times he ran until I turned around then came back and picked me while I was engaged with someone else.  AKDG used to do the exact same thing.

maybe you got him on a bad day....

I know I have fought him a few times..and being a squady I know how he flew. :aok

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2014, 08:50:06 AM »
I hate to...but I must...the P51 is definitely not a zero....but by far is it one of the worst "turners" hell the flaps come out at 300.....

Every single engined fighter except the 190 family can make a smaller turn radius than the P-51 can. And you have to be careful with those flaps. More than one notch creates a great deal of drag and reduces your turn rate a lot for not much gain in radius. Widewing did some testing on this you can probably search for on the BBS.

it is great at high speed maneuvers,one of the best..... it is good at slow speed maneuvers....
Again, everything is great at "high speed maneuvers". 5g@300mph IAS is the same whether you'e doing it in a Pony, Corsair, Hurri, P-39, 190, P-47-Whatever. The laws of physics dictate that the same speed and the same G-load=The exact same rate and radius of turn. The P-51 has no special advantage in blackout-riding turns. As for slow speed...the P-51 stalls at 100mph IAS clean. This is just about the highest of prop fighters in the game, except for various 190s (Hint: The stall speed is the minimum airspeed needed for the airframe to generate one G of lift. Study some aerodynamics to grasp the implications) Even with full flaps out I believe the stall speed will still be above 90, and they create massive drag in game. By way of comparison, the Corsair stalls at about 70mph with full flaps.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 08:52:33 AM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2014, 08:54:57 AM »

there is more to TURN fighting then the very basic simple flat turn.

The ability to generate more G at lower speed will lead to quicker and smaller turns whether the maneuver is in the horizontal or vertical. Physics is not to be denied.

"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2014, 10:02:25 AM »
The ability to generate more G at lower speed will lead to quicker and smaller turns whether the maneuver is in the horizontal or vertical. Physics is not to be denied.

Again, the physics are irrelevant. It is what the players perceive they can or can not do with certain planes. This is why you see so many complain "...a pony can't out turn my Nik! ... figgin hack". In the same vein, you will see newbs just run in a pony, because they perceive that that is all it can do.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2014, 10:48:59 AM »
Again, the physics are irrelevant. It is what the players perceive they can or can not do with certain planes. This is why you see so many complain "...a pony can't out turn my Nik! ... figgin hack". In the same vein, you will see newbs just run in a pony, because they perceive that that is all it can do.

The physics may not be relevant to your point but that's not what you first posted. Now you're just saying some players don't know how aircraft turn. What you first posted made it seem that you're one of them. You can clear that up by agreeing with BnZs.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2014, 11:41:56 AM »
When that happens it is because the N1k leaves his throttle firewalled and never gets down to its own cornering speed.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 11:48:34 AM by BnZs »

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2014, 11:49:42 AM »

Every single engined fighter except the 190 family can make a smaller turn radius than the P-51 can. And you have to be careful with those flaps. More than one notch creates a great deal of drag and reduces your turn rate a lot for not much gain in radius. Widewing did some testing on this you can probably search for on the BBS.
Again, everything is great at "high speed maneuvers". 5g@300mph IAS is the same whether you'e doing it in a Pony, Corsair, Hurri, P-39, 190, P-47-Whatever. The laws of physics dictate that the same speed and the same G-load=The exact same rate and radius of turn. The P-51 has no special advantage in blackout-riding turns. As for slow speed...the P-51 stalls at 100mph IAS clean. This is just about the highest of prop fighters in the game, except for various 190s (Hint: The stall speed is the minimum airspeed needed for the airframe to generate one G of lift. Study some aerodynamics to grasp the implications) Even with full flaps out I believe the stall speed will still be above 90, and they create massive drag in game. By way of comparison, the Corsair stalls at about 70mph with full flaps.

:rofl...sorry I dont mean to laugh at you.....but.....

there is no way you can tell me that a 51 and a KI84 has the same turn rate at 450 mph.....

a 51 doing 150 will turn far faster then a zero doing 400.....

a Ki84 doing 450 will never be able to turn as fast as a spit doing 450.....

a bunch of planes get stiff on the controls the faster they go, unlike the 51 the faster it goes the better it handles....same with the 47....and such like that.

tell me I am wrong.....

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2014, 12:19:55 PM »
You can easily pull to blackout at 450 MPH in a Ki-84. You won't maneuver as well but your turn rate and radius will match the P-51 at the same speed and G load.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2014, 12:22:30 PM »
You can easily pull to blackout at 450 MPH in a Ki-84. You won't maneuver as well but your turn rate and radius will match the P-51 at the same speed and G load.

You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2014, 12:51:03 PM »
Ummm...I`m going to have to laugh at laughing at the basic laws of aerodynamics which apply to air combat?

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2014, 01:17:51 PM »

so what you guys are saying is that no matter what plane you are in...when you hit the 5g mark...all planes turn rate is the same?

im not trying to be obtuse and my question is not a troll, I want to understand what you are saying.