Author Topic: P51D V Tiffy  (Read 2447 times)

Offline projoe

• Copper Member
P51D V Tiffy
« on: January 30, 2014, 08:22:56 PM »
Actually ran into a Mustang that wanted a fight.  I was 10k he was 12k...ahh he's gonna make a guns blazing pass then run like hell....nope....I nosed dwn lil bit and he went straight up....Can't out turn him....Can't out roll him....Can't out climb him...Can't out run him...what to do what to do...ended up going straight up with him...stalled out....went straight dwn with chopped throttle to see if he would overshoot....he didn't....we ended up on the deck for several minutes before he got me...except for the big guns the tiffy has no advantages over a fighting stang....he pretty much dictated the whole fight....any pointers on what a tiffy driver might do??
Projoe 367th Dynamite Gang

Spread my work ethic
Not my wealth!

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: P51D V Tiffy
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 08:50:28 PM »
If you're in a typhoon and you don't have E, you're pretty much screwed. Sorry bud, but typhoons are just a tasty snack for pretty much any fighter once you get them on the deck.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 09:24:10 PM »
I don't fly either of those planes much but one thing is turn right.  It will be easier for you and harder for him, especially if you're both at stall at the top of a loop but you'll have to use a good amount of rudder in the Typhoon.  If you do get pulled into a left turn reduce throttle long enough to get it around.

The big torque in the Typhie can work for you or against you.  Make it work for you and not against you.

I'd also get the fight to the deck as quickly as possible.   The Typhie works best down low.  Keep your speed up as acceleration is moderate at best.  I didn't look it up but IIRC speeds are pretty close on the deck so you may be able to use that to reset.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 09:28:47 PM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 09:56:57 PM »
I don't fly either of those planes much but one thing is turn right.  It will be easier for you and harder for him, especially if you're both at stall at the top of a loop but you'll have to use a good amount of rudder in the Typhoon.  If you do get pulled into a left turn reduce throttle long enough to get it around.

The big torque in the Typhie can work for you or against you.  Make it work for you and not against you.

I'd also get the fight to the deck as quickly as possible.   The Typhie works best down low.  Keep your speed up as acceleration is moderate at best.  I didn't look it up but IIRC speeds are pretty close on the deck so you may be able to use that to reset.

P-51 out accelerates the Typhoon though, IIRC. The P-51 will have the edge in the E-game on the deck.

Not 100% sure, but I think the P-51 will turn inside the Typhoon on the deck as well, though I could be wrong.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 01:05:24 AM »
According to Dokgonzo's fighter comparison, the Typhie has a smaller no-flaps and full-flaps turn radius. The problem could be the P-51  having flaps more useful at a higher speed.

Also, the Typhie is slightly faster than the P-51 below 5K and accelerates better on the deck.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 06:22:56 AM »
Most my losses occurs when I get the plane I have chosen out of its element.   I keep telling myself don't do it but that little, inside devil wins all too often.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 10:16:22 AM »
Tiffie has a slight edge in speed and the P=51D has a very slight edge in climb and acceleration down low, and as said, turn to the right.

Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 11:24:47 AM »
Most my losses occurs when I get the plane I have chosen out of its element.   I keep telling myself don't do it but that little, inside devil wins all too often.

You have to admit its more fun. Its an easy road to sit up high and BnZ planes below you, but a much harder one to start maneuvering with them.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 11:43:12 AM »
You have to admit its more fun. Its an easy road to sit up high and BnZ planes below you, but a much harder one to start maneuvering with them.

You are right there but I keep taking a fighter suited for BnZ into a furball filled with turney planes.  It always turns ugly. :aok

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 11:49:34 AM »
I don't think the graphs represent well how hard the matchup is for the typhie. Kermit does give me a lot of trouble with his, but he has to fly very well to do so, while I'm pretty much on auto pilot in my 51.

Offline projoe

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 04:26:44 PM »
Think the shell shocker was a willing p51...and I have to admit I didn't think to turn him to the right.
Thanks for the replys  :salute

Spread my work ethic
Not my wealth!

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 04:36:51 PM »
Actually ran into a Mustang that wanted a fight.  I was 10k he was 12k...ahh he's gonna make a guns blazing pass then run like hell....nope....I nosed dwn lil bit and he went straight up....Can't out turn him....Can't out roll him....Can't out climb him...Can't out run him...what to do what to do...ended up going straight up with him...stalled out....went straight dwn with chopped throttle to see if he would overshoot....he didn't....we ended up on the deck for several minutes before he got me...except for the big guns the tiffy has no advantages over a fighting stang....he pretty much dictated the whole fight....any pointers on what a tiffy driver might do??

Did you happen to save a film of this engagement, Projoe? 

Posting a film would allow for an even more specific review of things you might have done differently in that fight (in addition to the idea of generally turning to the right, which is good advice).

<S>
Ryno

Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline projoe

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 05:06:46 PM »
No I didn't Ryno...wished I did...it was a very fun fight when we got on the deck, it lasted for several minutes...but again it was mostly defensive flying on my part and was just trying to rack my brain on what advantages the tif would have had against a well flown stang.

Spread my work ethic
Not my wealth!

Offline SAJ73

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 04:50:56 AM »
I can't understand why it is so hard to find a willing 51, it's a great fighter and can be had much fun with if flown proper. I am still learning it myself, but I allready have alot of fun in it. In the beginning I was afraid to engage the yak3 when it first was presented in AH, it seemed to turn on a dime. Now I think the yak3 is one of the tastier little planes to engage in my 51, they can actually be beaten.  :x

But as a tiffy driver against the willing 51 I'd have to say keep your speed, you will outrun the 51 if you are not too slow to begin with. Or do highspeed turns, ride the tunnel. Seems like the tiffy turns inside the 51 if the speed is in the 280-300 range, but in slower speeds you will have to start making use of that proptorque, the 51 driver will have to chop trottle to make the plane whip over to the right. If you plan your move down low, doing rolling scissors to the right chances are big the 51pilot will chop his trottle one time too much when low and not be able to regain control before he crashes.. That's one way to do it.  :aok
TheStig

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 04:54:38 AM »
I can't understand why it is so hard to find a willing 51, it's a great fighter and can be had much fun with if flown proper.
Because it is the second worst turning fighter in the game, right after Fw-190s? Wait, I guess now with the Me-410 it'll probably be third.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."