Author Topic: One Choice  (Read 324 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: One Choice
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2014, 01:30:05 AM »
I would think about if for 29 days and get frozen on the 30th.  why not take advantage of both.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2014, 01:31:07 AM »
The flaw with the whole cryogenic stuff is this:  Why would the people of the future revive you?  Oh, sure if there are only a few such frozen people I can see the historical curiosity motivating it, but if they are not that rare you had better be somebody that has an interesting historical perspective or significance or they are going to either leave you as a popsicle or just turn the machine off and bury/cremate you.  Why add someone who is hopelessly out of date to the population?  That is just asking for the person to be a net drain for the rest of their lives.

For those of you asking for 500 years, imagine if we had tens of thousands of cryogenically preserved people from 1514 that would could revive and cure of their generally curable ailments?  We're talking about people who were put into cryogenic suspension during the reign of Henry VIII, and early in it.  They don't even know of the Protestant Reformation, let alone the massive changes to human perspective and knowledge in the last 100-200 years.  Why would we revive more than a handful of these people?  They have no connection to our time or to anybody in our time.

some of them girls would be hot?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 04:19:54 AM »
I've read a couple of novels about the subject, neither of which has been translated. One was about a man accidentally frozen in an iceberg a few hundred years ago and his efforts to adapt to modern society. A sad story... The other one was about a scientist who was frozen in hope to get him cured in the future. He was the only survivor of those preserved: The freezing company had bankrupted and got unplugged from the mains after only a few decades. I suppose the latter would be the most probable scenario considering a time lapse of one or several hundred years.

There are many examples of people getting the said month to live. Yet many of them have lived long past their presumed dying day, some even for several years. For example the husband of my former colleague got a bad case of cancer and only months to live. He made a deal with his then teenage four daughters: He'd stay alive if the girls did their school well enough to prove they'd grow to self-reliant citizens. He hung along for six years, seeing his offspring graduate and get jobs.

I've also heard about a guy who got a whole year. He started doing things he had planned to do someday and when he felt that his end was nearing, causing him to become a vegetable at a fast accelerating pace, he arranged his own funeral party. A participant told me that the atmosphere was quite stiff at the start with the to-be deceased sitting there still going strong. After awhile the party got relaxed, folks memorizing how nice a guy he had been etc. I suppose the late would appreciate all the nice speeches much more during their last moments than six feet under...
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline HPriller

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2014, 05:54:31 AM »
The whole cryogenic freeze nonsense is just another contrived grasp for the fountain of youth that gets overused in scifi.  It doesn't work, and pretty much can't possibly work.  We're not even remotely close technologically to pulling it off.  And, as previously stated, even if it could work, there's no guarantee anyone would care enough to spend the resources to revive and cure someone.  If I had some incurable disease that would kill me off soon, I'd pull a Heisenberg and cook a monster batch of crystal meth in my bathtub, surely hilarity would result.

Offline BreakingBad

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2014, 10:04:37 AM »
^^  Thankfully we have some here who will set us all straight.