Author Topic: One Choice  (Read 320 times)

Offline BreakingBad

• Copper Member
One Choice
« on: January 31, 2014, 06:10:56 PM »
I had a bartender ask me this question the other day when making small talk.

Suppose you had an incurable disease with only one month to live.  Or, you could opt to be put in a cryogenic freeze for 100 years, and at the end of the 100 years there would be a cure.  (Bear with me)

Would you choose the 1 month, or 100 years into the future with presumably the rest of your expected life span?    :bolt:

Offline BluBerry

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Re: One Choice
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 06:30:57 PM »
1 month.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 06:50:53 PM »
35, i'll take the month

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 07:19:26 PM »
Deep freeze, its a time machine, make it 500 years though.
Pies not kicks.

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 07:39:09 PM »
I'd wait an extra 400 years for good measure.  :aok

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO8kFHCXiEg&list=PLAFBD9B0D98049FFD
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 07:52:44 PM »
The flaw with the whole cryogenic stuff is this:  Why would the people of the future revive you?  Oh, sure if there are only a few such frozen people I can see the historical curiosity motivating it, but if they are not that rare you had better be somebody that has an interesting historical perspective or significance or they are going to either leave you as a popsicle or just turn the machine off and bury/cremate you.  Why add someone who is hopelessly out of date to the population?  That is just asking for the person to be a net drain for the rest of their lives.

For those of you asking for 500 years, imagine if we had tens of thousands of cryogenically preserved people from 1514 that would could revive and cure of their generally curable ailments?  We're talking about people who were put into cryogenic suspension during the reign of Henry VIII, and early in it.  They don't even know of the Protestant Reformation, let alone the massive changes to human perspective and knowledge in the last 100-200 years.  Why would we revive more than a handful of these people?  They have no connection to our time or to anybody in our time.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 08:04:13 PM »
1 month i dont want to learn the three seashells thing
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Rogue9Volt

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 08:12:31 PM »
I think I would pick one month..  Death is the greatest adventure.  Besides, who's to say I won't be born into another life time?  Or even if there's a God he may let me travel around time and look at stuff.  Might be cool. 
InGame:  SW9volt

-Born To Lose, Live To Win-
Recruiting Officer,125th Spartan Warriors.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 08:31:03 PM »
Deep freeze, its a time machine, make it 500 years though.

I am with you.  Although there is this to consider:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yCeFmn_e2c

- oldman

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 08:34:57 PM »
1 month i dont want to learn the three seashells thing

:lol

Just swear a lot.

I'd take the cryo-tube please. One month give or take isn't really useful in my life at the moment.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 08:37:00 PM »
Tough choice.  If I could take Julie with me I'd go into the freeze if not I'd embrace the croak
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 08:40:37 PM »
The flaw with the whole cryogenic stuff is this:  Why would the people of the future revive you?  Oh, sure if there are only a few such frozen people I can see the historical curiosity motivating it, but if they are not that rare you had better be somebody that has an interesting historical perspective or significance or they are going to either leave you as a popsicle or just turn the machine off and bury/cremate you.  Why add someone who is hopelessly out of date to the population?  That is just asking for the person to be a net drain for the rest of their lives.

For those of you asking for 500 years, imagine if we had tens of thousands of cryogenically preserved people from 1514 that would could revive and cure of their generally curable ailments?  We're talking about people who were put into cryogenic suspension during the reign of Henry VIII, and early in it.  They don't even know of the Protestant Reformation, let alone the massive changes to human perspective and knowledge in the last 100-200 years.  Why would we revive more than a handful of these people?  They have no connection to our time or to anybody in our time.

How's that different from immigration from the third world today?

They're people... Regardless of sophistication.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 11:53:17 PM »
Why would we revive more than a handful of these people?  They have no connection to our time or to anybody in our time.

And you call yourself a historian.  Shame.

If nothing else, Karnak, we could teach them to fly bomber formations in AH2 and pad our scores.

- oldman

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 12:05:29 AM »
How's that different from immigration from the third world today?

(Image removed from quote.)

They're people... Regardless of sophistication.
The vast majority of immigrants from third world nations come from their middle or upper classes, many (most?) being more educated than the average American.  Almost none come from subsistence farming backgrounds, let alone hunter-gatherer backgrounds.  Your chosen image is highly misleading.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 01:14:31 AM »
That may be true in your part of the world. They are people, regardless of sophistication.