Author Topic: Heading indication while in bombsight  (Read 1035 times)

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
Heading indication while in bombsight
« on: February 02, 2014, 04:25:54 PM »
Could we get aircraft heading added to the info displayed while in the bombsight?  Left side above/under altitude would be as good a place as any.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Rogue9Volt

• Nickel Member
Re: Heading indication while in bombsight
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 05:05:56 PM »
That would be handy...
InGame:  SW9volt

-Born To Lose, Live To Win-
Recruiting Officer,125th Spartan Warriors.

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 03:18:40 PM »
+1
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 04:04:34 PM »
Could we get aircraft heading added to the info displayed while in the bombsight?  Left side above/under altitude would be as good a place as any.

This sounds practical and doesn't seem like a coding nightmare. Refreshing in wish-list-ville.

:salute :cheers:

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 04:05:17 PM »
+1
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 10:15:49 PM »
doesn't seem like a coding nightmare.

The code already knows which direction we're pointing, shouldn't be hard to display that info.  Real world the bombardier had heading, airspeed and altitude available to him…we already have two of the three.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 10:23:43 PM »
+1
LtCondor
          The Damned
Fighter pilots are either high, or in the process of getting high.🙊
The difference between Dweebs and non dweebs... Dweebs have kills

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 01:05:42 PM »
+1
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 01:32:49 PM »
+1
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 04:25:08 PM »
+1

One would think this would be rather easy to include as an additional line of text displaying in bomb site. Great idea with minimal (from what I understand) programming.

Keep the good idea's rolling so we can put out the flamers!  :cheers:
56th Fighter Group -  Jug Life

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 04:36:59 PM »
I suspect the OP knows he is asking Hitech to give him the equivalent of a lead computing gunsight. One that won't be interfered with by Internet Lag or poor connection quality.

You can pull up the clipboard while looking through the cross hair.

Since you want an aimbot, ask for a timer along with a 360 heading read out. Without wind, you will be dropping an almost JDAM. They didn't have laser marking in ww2. First they had to evolve radar aided bombing through overcast and night missions.

Below is a photo through a Norden eyepiece. Your red HUD readout takes the place of the manual calibration dials. I could not find anything resembling a compass in or on the Norden. Maybe if Hitech upgrades us to radar bombing from the end of ww2. The B25H used radar controlled sighting for it's 75mm by 1945 to hit shipping at 4000yds.

By the way, the cross hairs were made with real human hair. Just like some rifle scopes cross hairs back then were made with Black Widow silk.

Poor buggers didn't even get a heads up display like Hitech gives us.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 05:08:32 PM »
I suspect the OP knows he is asking Hitech to give him the equivalent of a lead computing gunsight.

I'm asking to have the same information available that was available to a bombardier during WWII.  Right next to the bombardiers seat in all the WWII bombers I've been in were 3 instruments;  airspeed indicator, altimeter and heading indicator.

If those instruments work in AH at the bombardier position (I know in the B26 they do not) that would be fine, it doesn't have to be "in" the bombsight….I just don't want to have to pop to the pilot position to get a peek at my heading.
Columbo

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 08:59:46 PM »
I kept looking for bombardier position photos just for compass and other instruments. I remember reading interviews were the old guys wouldn't let things get in their way. The would mount compass and other instruments if they could. Stop watches were common.

This is the Russian reticle Hitech should have in the Tu2 and why I can understand additional reticle structures in the generic bombsight reticle.

We already beat the chart below in our game. Almost JDAM at all alts. So now you have the (.dt) command, and you are asking to be able to drop your loads in a shot glass. And we have GV main gun single shot commander mode sure shot killing of airplanes. I have squad mates who sink carriers 9 out of 10 times first pass as it is without additional input. And I watch players hit everything they drop bombs on closing down the fields I'm defending like clock work.  At what point do we all phone it in and find another game? How easy do you want Hitech to dumb this game down?

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 04:41:16 AM »
How easy do you want Hitech to dumb this game down?

Having some urine with your Wheaties?

I didn't ask for anything to be dumbed down. The game is way to easy as it is.  Again, all I asked for is what was available to the bombardier real life.

Columbo

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 06:46:27 AM »
As long as the heading displayed is the exact same heading as read from the compass (i.e. not the true ground heading in a cross wind) I think this is a harmless request.

Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs