Author Topic: Airfield orientation  (Read 1037 times)

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
Re: Airfield orientation
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2014, 11:42:37 AM »
So why comment?
Since they had photo reconnaissance during the war is it too much to ask that our maps reflect actual field orientation?

as suggested earlier, go recon the field first then.

and then make a note of it for future reference.

nobody cares.
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2014, 12:25:03 PM »
arent the field orientation "hard coded" on the map itself?  and since we only have a few maps wont the orientation be known many moons ago?  it would just be hard for the new guys who are trying to figure out the game.

semp

Yes.  What I was getting at is when a map comes up, the fields and towns will generate in a random orientation.  To push it further, the orientation could generate in 15degree increments.  What it will do is that each time a map is won or rotated out, when the next one pops up it will take a minute or two for the server to generate a random orientation for each base (minus Ports) and town.  Example: We get Compello five times in a row.  Every single time, A1 AND it's Town will have a random orientation.  I am really hoping that HTC's new terrain engine will support this kind of randomization.  Our current maps and fields can't do this, because as you pointed out, they are hard coded into the terrain.

My Scouting idea was something that intended to add upon the randomization of orientations.  Until someone flies over a field then land successfully, no one will know that fields orientation.  Once a person has flown over it and landed successfully, their maps as well as those in their country will have the field icon in the orientation that is sitting at currently.  And as I mentioned before, get the same map tomorrow and the orientation of that field will be different.

This entire thread is a solution looking for a problem..

Good.  I like problem... :D
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2014, 01:52:50 PM »
Yes.  What I was getting at is when a map comes up, the fields and towns will generate in a random orientation.  To push it further, the orientation could generate in 15degree increments.  What it will do is that each time a map is won or rotated out, when the next one pops up it will take a minute or two for the server to generate a random orientation for each base (minus Ports) and town.  Example: We get Compello five times in a row.  Every single time, A1 AND it's Town will have a random orientation.  I am really hoping that HTC's new terrain engine will support this kind of randomization.  Our current maps and fields can't do this, because as you pointed out, they are hard coded into the terrain.

My Scouting idea was something that intended to add upon the randomization of orientations.  Until someone flies over a field then land successfully, no one will know that fields orientation.  Once a person has flown over it and landed successfully, their maps as well as those in their country will have the field icon in the orientation that is sitting at currently.  And as I mentioned before, get the same map tomorrow and the orientation of that field will be different.

Good.  I like problem... :D

no, you dont understand, when the maps are created the fields are coded at whichever place and orientation by the map creator.  they cannot be changed every time the map comes up for rotation.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2014, 02:01:52 PM »
no, you dont understand, when the maps are created the fields are coded at whichever place and orientation by the map creator.  they cannot be changed every time the map comes up for rotation.

semp

As this is the "wish list" Im guessing he is wishing that when a map comes up, the fields and towns will generate in a random orientation. Pay attention.

Offline Gemini

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2014, 04:40:05 PM »
I would love my airfield regardless

It's not a choice, it's the way they were made

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2014, 04:46:29 PM »
I have noticed that small airfield orientation is not correct.  If the orientation is corrected you would know that the field has flipped and the VH is on the south end of the field rather than the north and adjust accordingly!  For example maps may show a northwest to southeast direction when actually you have a north east to a south west runway. :airplane:
:airplane: Since I am a mission leader and bomber pilot 95% of the time in this game, I have to go with what Aces high is doing with the airfields, just from the stand point of being somewhat un-predicable the first time you hit a base. Most of the time, when I run across one which is not orientated like the clip board map indicates, I try to make a note of it for future reference!
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline ReVo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2014, 08:14:15 PM »
So why comment?
Since they had photo reconnaissance during the war is it too much to ask that our maps reflect actual field orientation?

I'm commenting because I really don't want to see time wasted on something as silly as "fixing" this non-issue.

If it really bothers you chalk it up to fog of war and move on.
XO Jagdgeschwader 53 'Pik As'