Author Topic: Last of the Grumman cats....  (Read 2030 times)

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
Re: Last of the Grumman cats....
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2014, 07:49:41 AM »
All are pretty planes, but the problem is not their looks.
Here is what Giora Epstein had to say about the F-16 (07:10):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ESF4RObYB3M#t=429
I remember him saying the exact same thing already some 25 years ago.

He is not wrong. I feel the same thing about cars. My old cars were like pets - I cared about them like they were animals, they had character. My current one is a Toyota and the worst thing I can say about it is that there is nothing wrong with it.

See your point. Indeed. However as you can see it hadn't started with F-22/F-35. But as you quoted F-16 was already that way.

In any case I assume, the modern fighters are still far more romantic than Toyota. Finally some stuff makes things simpler like no need to manually control the mixture is quite a nice thing...
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2014, 11:05:25 AM »
The same arguments have been used by pilots going all the way back to the original fighter...

Some day in the not so distant future, a commander in a bunker, warship or command aircraft somewhere will be informed by a computer that the enemy has been detected and can be engaged. The commander will then release the computer to go fight this enemy as it deems best, launching its UCAVs and other unmanned assets and fighting a war with minimal human interference. Human flight will be limited to transport and recreational/sporting purposes.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 03:02:13 AM »
The same arguments have been used by pilots going all the way back to the original fighter...

(Image removed from quote.)

Some day in the not so distant future, a commander in a bunker, warship or command aircraft somewhere will be informed by a computer that the enemy has been detected and can be engaged. The commander will then release the computer to go fight this enemy as it deems best, launching its UCAVs and other unmanned assets and fighting a war with minimal human interference. Human flight will be limited to transport and recreational/sporting purposes.
That would be great if machines could do all the fighting with other machines, leaving us humans free to chill out and smoke pot.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 03:24:42 AM »
Sure... Until one side runs out of machines to defend themselves, and then the enemy machines starts predating upon them.

Well... that's already a reality.

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 06:28:35 AM »
I sure do miss the Grumman Tomcat... Last and greatest of the cats...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=n81pIulraxY

There was always something about the Tomcat. I always thought she was the most beautiful of that generation of American fighter Planes.  Out of the F-14 F-15 F-16 and F-18 it was the F-14 I was always most excited to see flying and I was an Air Force puke.  :lol

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2014, 10:11:53 AM »
 :lol

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2014, 10:21:14 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

That wont end the war.   To win a war History has proven the losing side will have to lose half or more of it population. Fighting with drones will not fix the problem. Do YOU REALLY THINK THAT some A******e  in some goverment is going to back down just because all there robots were shot down.  It has been proven many times in history that artificial intelligence does not make up for real intelligence.  

Another example of what I am talking about is when the Air Force said that there would be no need for guns in Dogfights anymore. Well the F4 Phantom was  created with no gun. The next thing they know is that they are on the 6 of mig with no way to shoot them down. ( IF was in those Migs Iwould been scared SH****ss until I realized they had no gun.. . Then probable laughed till I cried.)

My point is Robot will never ever replace human pilots. Reason is that there is no way to make up for Human Intelligence.  Artificial intelligence will never cut it.  There are to many reasons why they need to keep a warm body in the cockpit of the fighter
LtCondor
          The Damned
Fighter pilots are either high, or in the process of getting high.🙊
The difference between Dweebs and non dweebs... Dweebs have kills

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2014, 12:05:16 PM »
The human decision making can be done remotely if needed.

This is five years old already: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1pr683SYFk

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2014, 01:35:25 PM »
I don't know how can you romanticize a pig with small wings

As an FM2 fan I sincerely hope you understand that there's a stubby hard to kill exception to that statement  :)

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2014, 01:41:03 PM »
The human decision making can be done remotely if needed.

This is five years old already: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1pr683SYFk

Just wait till a drone gets hacked. It is not a question if it will get hacked, just when.  Then see what happens.

If a terrorist(i.e Chinese)  could hack a drone with Helfires on think of the political ramification.  Congress will be have a cow. That day will be worse than nuke dropped on Washington :salute.
LtCondor
          The Damned

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2014, 02:13:03 PM »
Not going to happen with autonomous systems. You will no more be able to "hack" an autonomous UCAV than you're able to "hack" a cruise missile today. If you have the right codes you may be able to order it to abort or change its mission, but never to engage targets its on-board systems identify as friendly. It's not like these things will be flying around with open WiFi and Bluetooth giving access to its core programming. That only happens in the movies... Experience shows that autonomous computer systems are much harder to compromise than system involving humans. "Social engineering" is the most successful hacking method these days... Simply asking an unsuspecting human for the log-in credentials. A human pilot can be fooled by a convincing radio transmission. A computer cannot.

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2014, 03:25:22 PM »
Not going to happen with autonomous systems. You will no more be able to "hack" an autonomous UCAV than you're able to "hack" a cruise missile today. If you have the right codes you may be able to order it to abort or change its mission, but never to engage targets its on-board systems identify as friendly. It's not like these things will be flying around with open WiFi and Bluetooth giving access to its core programming. That only happens in the movies... Experience shows that autonomous computer systems are much harder to compromise than system involving humans. "Social engineering" is the most successful hacking method these days... Simply asking an unsuspecting human for the log-in credentials. A human pilot can be fooled by a convincing radio transmission. A computer cannot.

Is that computer software wrote by a human. Also is it connected to a satelitte.
LtCondor
          The Damned

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2014, 04:11:21 PM »
  Everyone knows the best thing about the F14 is it's "Cruise",they dont call it a "Tom" cat for nothing.....  :devil

Sorry Mace I couldnt resist! :lol

:salute

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2014, 04:12:46 PM »

Is that computer software wrote by a human. Also is it connected to a satelitte.

Should we also be worried about Skynet? I ask because you're obviously an expert in this field  :rolleyes:.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline TOMCAT21

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2014, 06:58:33 PM »
Tell me about it Wide. Thats the main reason I left the Navy and went to the Army.  I worked on the Tomcats for 8 years and when I found out they were being decommissioned, I decided to switch branches. It kind of sucked. My dad spent 21 years out of his 40 at Grumman as an engineer on the F-14 so I was groomed to work on it.  I have hours of video of the air power demo's done by the F-14 from my days on carriers. One of my fondest memories about the F-14 was at an airshow at NAS Oceana  ( where I was stationed ). My mom and I could not find my dad anywhere so we put our heads together and we wandered over to the F-14 static display and there was my dad surrounded by Tomcat pilots answering their questions about it........ thought I would share that.
RETIRED US Army/ Flying and dying since Tour 80/"We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded." - Capt. Richard Winters.  FSO 412th FNVG/MA- REGULATORS