Author Topic: From back in the day  (Read 674 times)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
From back in the day
« on: February 16, 2014, 11:13:10 AM »
Over what is now Holloman AFB, New Mexico.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
Re: From back in the day
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 05:06:49 PM »
Over what is now Holloman AFB, New Mexico.

(Image removed from quote.)
:airplane: I bet that stirs some memories for somebody in this game! Below is my beloved DC-6B, which in 2012, 15 were still being used in different parts of the world. 64 Years of continuous service to somebody!

The Office!

On short final, 120 knots, bleeding!
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 01:57:15 AM »
DC-4 and DC-6 are two of my favorite large aircraft in history. So graceful and beautiful, yet practical and utilitarian.

Had the honor of seeing Redbull's beautiful DC-6 in person at the 2012 Bodø Air Show.

Notable other airliners I particularly like from that era are the Lockheed Constellation and the world's first modern long range airliner, which looks remarkably like a DC-4, here in the colors of the Danish Airlines:

Sadly, no Fw-200 exists today. During the war the Fw-200 took on a much more sinister role of course, but during the happy '30s in Europe it was the dream ride of the flying public.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 02:06:16 AM by GScholz »
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 01:34:15 PM »
DC-4 and DC-6 are two of my favorite large aircraft in history. So graceful and beautiful, yet practical and utilitarian.

Had the honor of seeing Redbull's beautiful DC-6 in person at the 2012 Bodø Air Show.

Notable other airliners I particularly like from that era are the Lockheed Constellation and the world's first modern long range airliner, which looks remarkably like a DC-4, here in the colors of the Danish Airlines:

Sadly, no Fw-200 exists today. During the war the Fw-200 took on a much more sinister role of course, but during the happy '30s in Europe it was the dream ride of the flying public.

:airplane: good pic of "bull 1"! One of the little know facts about the DC-6B is that it was faster than the Super Connies, yet had smaller engines. R-2800's on the 6 and R-3350 compounds on the connies. I never flew a 1049G, but judging from the dihedral in the wing, was probably a very smooth ride for all on board!
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 05:07:06 PM »
Several outfits operated, some still do, Douglas transports here in Alaska in the 70s and 80s.  Nothing quite like the sound of 4 PW2800s coming up to takeoff power!!
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 06:23:30 PM »
In the late 60's they ran us from Tachikawa, Misawa, to Wakkanai in those rattle traps. The old joke was going to the lew meant looking straight down at the ground. The draft of air that came out when you opened the lid was that cold. But, then there didn't seem to be much between you and the fuselage skin back in that cramped compartment.

Wasn't as bad as the C-135 cargo carrier from Karachi to Frankfurt with a Saudi Arabia fuel stop into 100 degree weather. They bolted in rows of metal frame and wood fold down troop seats. No insulation in the fuselage. And the only window to look out was the engineer's tiny view port you had to scrape the ice off of if he felt like letting you peek out side. Most of the trip was sleeping in a frozen stupor with your butt aching because we lifted off Karachi in March in spring clothing. And Frankfurt that year was still doing winter. 
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.