Author Topic: your thoughts my for build...  (Read 662 times)

Offline trukrr

• Zinc Member
your thoughts my for build...
« on: February 18, 2014, 10:08:28 AM »
trying to get a decent system for under 1,000.00 cdn, for AH only for a 3-4 years.

this is what I came up with.

i5-4670
cooler master hyper 212 evo
asrock z87 pro3 atx lga 1150
kingston 8gb (1x8) ddr3 1600 does it really matter if 1 or more modules
seagate barracuda 1 tb 3.5 7200 rpm
asus radeon r9 270 2gb
cooler master k280 atx mid tower..  any thoughts on this one
Silverstone 600w atx
asus drw-24b1st/blk/b/as dvd/cd writer
OS MS 8.1 oem 64bit

system uses up 453 watts of power

only upgrade for the future will be faster ram and cpu and GPU

have a few other games on my old system and no office program of any sort on this new build.

thanks for any idea for better but yet reasonable, I can play with a 100 buck if need be..

Offline BluBerry

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Re: your thoughts my for build...
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 10:25:13 AM »
trying to get a decent system for under 1,000.00 cdn, for AH only for a 3-4 years.

this is what I came up with.

i5-4670
cooler master hyper 212 evo
asrock z87 pro3 atx lga 1150
kingston 8gb (1x8) ddr3 1600 does it really matter if 1 or more modules
seagate barracuda 1 tb 3.5 7200 rpm
asus radeon r9 270 2gb
cooler master k280 atx mid tower..  any thoughts on this one
Silverstone 600w atx
asus drw-24b1st/blk/b/as dvd/cd writer
OS MS 8.1 oem 64bit

system uses up 453 watts of power

have a few other games on my old system and no office program of any sort on this new build.

thanks for any idea for better but yet reasonable, I can play with a 100 buck if need be..

Not a bad build at all. The tower you selected is super roomy, and out of curiosity how many fans are they saying are included? I'm surprised it only uses 453, if it was me I would shop for a little bit better PSU as the Silverstone one is known to make a really annoying sound that gets worse over time  :lol

Offline BluBerry

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 10:32:09 AM »

Make sure if you upgrade all those components, that you also upgrade the tower, if you go with the one you posted, it maxes out at 3 fan slots. While its a great tower for a budget build once you start getting higher end components your going to want something with better cooling.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 11:41:00 AM »
Overall the build looks well thought out with reasonable bang for the buck.  Here are my own nitpicky choices for some of the items.

Consider this HSF artic cooling freezer i30, highly rated by hardocp as a low cost but high performing cooler:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186058

I use this HSF in my computer, which is the same artic cooling freezer i30 but with a fan rated for 24/7 operation.  It is just $7 more:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186085

As others have also stated in other threads, consider seasonic power supplies and look for real reviews like the killer PSU reviews that hardocp does.  I have never had a seasonic psu go bad, they are very quiet, and their modular ones are reasonably priced and help with cable management and decluttering the case for better cooling airflow.  This is "only" 550w but is 80plus "gold" rated and has lots of good reviews and is reasonably priced:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119

This PSU is only 80 plus "bronze" rated but is 620w, for the same price, with tons of good reviews:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095

Regarding memory, your system will run a bit faster with 2 memory sticks but if you get 2x4GB and later on want to upgrade then you may need to toss out both sticks if you have clearance problems with your cpu heatsink that prevent you using 4 sticks.  Going with a single 8GB stick will slightly hurt performance but it makes it easier to upgrade to 16GB later on.  Personally, I'd just go with 16GB (2x8GB) up front, and be done with it.  I've had good luck with gskill, so I'd get something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231606

I like corsair cases.  If you are considering quality smaller cases with great airflow, look at this one (considered a "budget" case but with many more features than most in its price range), and read the review at hardocp:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139018
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/01/07/corsair_carbide_series_200r_compact_atx_case_review/#.UwOYYU2YZaQ

I have had great luck with western digital black drives and just had a Seagate drive fail a month ago, but I have no real hard data either way, just my own preference based on my own experiences.  They had a sale of their 1TB western digital black drive for around $79 at newegg if you get their promo code from their ad mailer.  I have also had good luck with running a 1TB western digital blue drive, and that's only $59.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236339

Consider a BD drive.  They're only about $60 now for OEM versions without BD player software.  You may only need it that one time, but if you don't have one when you need it then it'll be irritating when the price difference between a DVD burner and BD drive (which will still burn DVDs) is not very large.

I prefer windows 7 because I hate the UI for windows 8, but if you're ok with win8 then there is no reason to not use win8 that I know of.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 10:07:04 PM »

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 06:22:12 AM »
I would also suggest using Windows 7 64 bit for the OS.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline trukrr

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 11:29:44 PM »
update..

thanks all for the tips..

this is what i got coming in now..

i5-4670
Artic cooling freezer i30  " got it for 35.00

msi z87-g45 gaming

kingston 8gb

no gpu yet all out of stock tomorrow project

WD caviar blue 1tb

corsair 200r  thanks for the tip on the cooling

still looking for a psu.. tomorrow project a seasonic 620

asus drw 24 b1st/blk/b/as/dvd/cd writer os 7 friendly  " so much for the cheap one"

OS windows 7 64 bit..  thanks for that tip also  research is killing me.. I'm still on dial-up..  8 hours later..

thanks again all for the inform nitbits.. 

as for high speed feel like I should go out their and tap in as the cable " they laid down 5 years ago" if i knew how..

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 05:54:31 PM »
That's going to be a nice fast computer, should last quite a while.

Offline trukrr

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 10:13:35 AM »
everything ordered..  should be in sometime this week.. now to figure out how to put it together..  hope all is in by the time I'm back Sat.  it's going to be fun..  thx for the tips..

Offline trukrr

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 09:11:28 AM »
thanks for everything gentlemen..  the system is up and running..the corsair r200 is roomy no complaints..happy I went for the seasonic 650 gold modular, less cables to deal with..put in an extra fan in PWM..  and very surprise when I boot up the system how quiet it is compare to my old one..now to finnish the updates and load up ACES HIGH and see what happens..oh got it built for 1200.00.