Author Topic: novice builder question  (Read 1944 times)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: novice builder question
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 01:42:12 AM »
Test the fans in different connectors. There was not much told in the manual as you said, only that sys1/2 can be automatically controlled whereas sys3/4 are more traditional ones. Do you have the monitoring program installed from the motherboard cd?

Large fans can draw more juice than can be delivered through the motherboard, so an external fan controller block connected directly to the PSU might be a nice solution. http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l2/g34/c17/list/p1/Bay_Devices-Fan_Controllers.html has a huge variety of fan controllers from simple splitters to touch operated illuminated show stealing gadgets.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 01:33:51 PM »
One other thing, when you load your OS on to your HDD .  If it doesnt load and keeps saying you have a  corrupted file and can not load. Try returning you mobo. In my experience that means that it is something wrong with the mobo. Normally getting a mobo fixes this.
LtCondor
          The Damned
Fighter pilots are either high, or in the process of getting high.🙊
The difference between Dweebs and non dweebs... Dweebs have kills

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2014, 01:52:15 PM »
Derp, it appears that the problem was Operator Error.  The motherboard has two fan connectors with 4 pins and two with 3 pins.  All four fans have 3 pins, so that should explain why only two fans work.

Just ordered some widgets and thingies to hook up the fans to the power supply and then all will be well.  In theory.  ;)

Thanks everyone for the help.

p.s. Mbailey, it's a piece of cake.  More or less.  It does require an IQ of 90 or above but my 88 was somehow just enough to squeak by. :D
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2014, 04:27:53 AM »
This shows you how to connect 3 pin fans to 4 pin connections.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-012074.htm

Connecting them to the PS will work too.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 04:29:27 AM by FLS »

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2014, 09:33:23 AM »
Be very careful if you use molex adapters. Some are so badly made that the contact pins move inside the adapter -> you need to wiggle and use force to connect them -> adapter housing is so badly made you can force it upside down in -> bad stuff happens. Been there, tried that. I learned never to connect 'fool proof' connectors without visually checking them for polarity the hard way.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2014, 08:47:48 PM »
Derp, it appears that the problem was Operator Error.  The motherboard has two fan connectors with 4 pins and two with 3 pins.  All four fans have 3 pins, so that should explain why only two fans work.

Just ordered some widgets and thingies to hook up the fans to the power supply and then all will be well.  In theory.  ;)

Thanks everyone for the help.

p.s. Mbailey, it's a piece of cake.  More or less.  It does require an IQ of 90 or above but my 88 was somehow just enough to squeak by. :D

caldera, the fourth pin allows the mobo to control the fan speed.  but if you only connect fans with 3 pins then they run at full speed.  however I think the reason yours didnt work is because you had them connected to the wrong pins.  if I remember correctly.

if you want to control fan speed then get a fan speed controller like they suggested.  they're around 30 bucks and they look pretty cool on your computer.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2014, 06:46:28 AM »

p.s. Mbailey, it's a piece of cake.  More or less.  It does require an IQ of 90 or above but my 88 was somehow just enough to squeak by. :D

Thanks Sir......with an IQ hovering somewhere around the weight of a gnat when it comes to computers....i think ill take the plunge

Just out of curiosity....how do you tell what componants work with what?

Over the next few weeks, im going to start bying stuff piece by piece.....My boy wants to play games like Arma and Crysis (think i got that right)  and im looking for a system thatwill do that...and play AH with some eye candy on..... I dont want to derail your thread....so if youwant me to starta new one I will....Im budgeting around 800 +/-

Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2014, 08:38:16 AM »
Thanks Sir......with an IQ hovering somewhere around the weight of a gnat when it comes to computers....i think ill take the plunge

Just out of curiosity....how do you tell what componants work with what?

Over the next few weeks, im going to start bying stuff piece by piece.....My boy wants to play games like Arma and Crysis (think i got that right)  and im looking for a system thatwill do that...and play AH with some eye candy on..... I dont want to derail your thread....so if youwant me to starta new one I will....Im budgeting around 800 +/-

Look at tomshardware.com to get ideas.  They have lots of technical info and there is a header at the top of the homepage which lists major components.  You can search articles that rate all the popular models of that component.  Since AH relies more on the CPU than GPU, I looked for a processor first and went from there.  I went for what was recommended as the best buy.  Then did some pointing and clicking on amazon.com and spent only a couple bucks more than what a much less capable computer from 5 years ago cost me.  The grand total to my doorstep (including the fan splitter and molex adapter I just bought) came to $1004.  Other sites may cost less if you want to shop around.

Here are my system specs:

Intel I-5 3570K processor
MSI Z77A-G43 motherboard
Corsair TX-650 power supply
Corsair Vengeance (2x4gb) DDR3 memory
WD Blue 1TB hard drive
EVGA GTX760 Superclocked video card
CoolerMaster Hyper EVO cpu cooler
Asus dvd drive
Antec 900 case

Make sure to check the specs on everything before you buy.  Your processor and motherboard have to be he same type, ie: lga1155.  Also make sure your case has enough room for your video card and don't skimp on the power supply.  I could have picked a better one but this one should be adequate for the time being.

This shows you how to connect 3 pin fans to 4 pin connections.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-012074.htm

Connecting them to the PS will work too.

Looking at that diagram, I could swear they were hooked up just like that.  They are unhooked now, so I could be wrong.  Going to see if the adapter I ordered works.  :noid

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2014, 02:46:30 PM »
Success!  :banana:

Everything works now.  Just flew a few sorties with the graphics cranked and the load was so light, the power supply fan didn't even turn on.  :lol

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2014, 03:01:43 PM »

Everything works now.  Just flew a few sorties with the graphics cranked and the load was so light, the power supply fan didn't even turn on.  :lol

you mean the fan in the power supply?

semp

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2014, 04:33:53 PM »
you mean the fan in the power supply?

semp

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2014, 07:25:53 PM »

you dont have to be a dick you know.  wasnt sure if you were talking about the ps fan or the case fans that you couldnt figure out how to connect to the mobo and connected to the power supply instead.

semp

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2014, 10:47:58 PM »
you dont have to be a dick you know.  wasnt sure if you were talking about the ps fan or the case fans that you couldnt figure out how to connect to the mobo and connected to the power supply instead.

semp

Thin skinned as ever, huh? 

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2014, 11:42:58 PM »

You might want to look into that. I would expect the PS fan to run from power on to power off.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2014, 12:04:36 AM »
Thin skinned as ever, huh? 

only when i laughed when you couldnt figure out how to connect 3 pin fan connectors to your mobo.

semp