Author Topic: P38 Performance  (Read 7391 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Re: P38 Performance
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2014, 10:05:11 PM »
Note the problem in this case is separation on the top wing changes the down wash angle.  The bottom flap counters that by producing its own separation.

Downwash is produced by lift.  Compressibility results in stall of the wing, hence reduction in downwash.  Add some lift by the dive-recovery flap, and you get downwash re-established.

So, there are three positive things the dive-recovery flaps do:  add lift, add drag, add downwash.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2014, 10:51:07 PM »
Stark is the designer of the flap. 

"Stack's idea was to use the flap to maintain lift in the face of the compressibility burble, hence eliminating the change in the downwash angle, and therefore allowing the horizontal tail to function properly."

Note the problem in this case is separation on the top wing changes the down wash angle.  The bottom flap counters that by producing its own separation.

The compression problem isn't the airflow over the tail. The problem is the center of pressure moving back on the wing and pitching the nose down.

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2014, 12:30:07 AM »

cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2014, 12:55:09 AM »
Thanks for posting that. One of my first posts here 12 years ago was about the P-38 dive flaps modeling. It's good to see more info available now.   :D

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2014, 01:21:26 AM »

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2014, 06:59:37 AM »
Cactuskooler your reply should be a Sticky.

I am glad we all kept digging to get to the technical explanation of the dive flap's function.  Between this and the document FLS found.  It nails it down.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2014, 09:49:41 AM »
Nails what down, exactly?
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: March 15, 2014, 11:44:02 AM »
nice post on the p38.

P38s still look funny trying to pull up at 580mph  :cool:
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #83 on: March 15, 2014, 12:58:42 PM »
Nails what down, exactly?

The technical reason behind the design of the flap.

The only open question now is wither Mach Drag is included in the AH P-38 model or not when entering transonic speeds.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #84 on: March 15, 2014, 01:18:21 PM »
We still don't know how much drag we should see in subsonic flight or if we should see a pitch change when deployed in subsonic flight. We don't know how much drag the flaps add at compression either. We have a wind tunnel test on a 3 ft model wing and advice to pilots that extending the dive flaps after compression causes a pitch up and leaving them down limits your speed.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 01:47:58 PM by FLS »

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: March 15, 2014, 01:36:49 PM »
Yes, we don't know anything about the drag, except that there was some (obviously), and that it isn't modeled in the game right now. Unless the P-38 ran on magic and unicorn juice those flaps must produce drag at any airspeed.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #86 on: March 15, 2014, 02:27:50 PM »
These calculations represent a stick-fixed trim change that, for a wing loading of 60 pounds per square foot at 25,000 feet at Mach numbers of 0.600 and 0.890, will correspond to approximately a 3.6g pullout; however, at lower altitudes the normal acceleration will be somewhat greater.

That's a lot stronger pitch moment that I expected.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #87 on: March 15, 2014, 07:10:07 PM »
Just tested it again.

At 35k, 382 TAS, M .58 the flaps do nothing whatsoever.

I then took it to 40k and dived it past M .72 in a long shallow dive, but experienced no Mach tuck effect. Lots of shaking and controls stiffened up, but no increase in dive angle. Can anyone confirm that Mach tucking and compressibility effects are actually modeled in the game, or perhaps only superficially simulated as loss of control authority?

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #88 on: March 15, 2014, 07:50:01 PM »

I then took it to 40k and dived it past M .72 in a long shallow dive, but experienced no Mach tuck effect. Lots of shaking and controls stiffened up, but no increase in dive angle.

Were you hand flying or using auto-angle?  Any chance you cancelled out any pitch down that was present?  I don't expect that mach tuck is modeled, the shaking and loss of control is sufficient for AH needs.

Here's a question…why does the 38 roll left at high speed?
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #89 on: March 15, 2014, 08:05:00 PM »
I used auto pilot, which only controls trim IIRC.

So compressibility effects are not really modeled in AH?