Author Topic: Twisty-Stick scaling Hints and Tips  (Read 1194 times)

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
Twisty-Stick scaling Hints and Tips
« on: March 12, 2014, 03:22:46 PM »
Any hints on scaling a twisty for gun platform stability in single-engine fighters?
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Skyyr

• persona non grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Twisty-Stick scaling Hints and Tips
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 03:41:44 PM »
Any hints on scaling a twisty for gun platform stability in single-engine fighters?

I find taking out all of the damping and deadzone helps (I've done this to all axes). This makes your flight controls respond in real-time so you can better see how your inputs affect aircraft flight.

A lot of people put in damping, which makes you constantly be behind the response curve, especially if you have quick reflexes. This has the effect of making the rudder feel shaky, when in reality you're correcting for actions you committed X milliseconds ago (i.e. you're fighting against your own inputs).

I don't touch the curves.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - 296

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 30-11

KOTH Wins: 6, Egos Broken: 1000+

Mmmmm... tears.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 04:33:11 PM »
It depends heavily on how heavy handed you are. My Dad is older and slower so it actually makes him smoother, where my brother in law is a bit heavy handed. Dad uses the default slider setting, and my brother in law drops most of his sliders low to slow his input down.

I use pedals so it a lot different.

A great way to check is to go into the TA and hook up with Morph. He has a screen the size of a house. He'll follow you around and see what controls are twitching and need smoothing out. Other than that it is going to be trial and error. Start at the default and move them down to slow, up to speed it up. 

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 05:27:07 PM »
It depends heavily on how heavy handed you are. My Dad is older and slower so it actually makes him smoother, where my brother in law is a bit heavy handed. Dad uses the default slider setting, and my brother in law drops most of his sliders low to slow his input down.

I use pedals so it a lot different.

A great way to check is to go into the TA and hook up with Morph. He has a screen the size of a house. He'll follow you around and see what controls are twitching and need smoothing out. Other than that it is going to be trial and error. Start at the default and move them down to slow, up to speed it up. 

It's not quite the size of a house and infact if I can convince SWMBO to let me I plan on getting something even bigger!

Something I tell players is to go offline,select planeammomulti and change it to 10 so you have 10 times the ammo available,then bring up the target and shoot at it. It's best to use a plane with central mounted guns,like the P38 or the 109's. If you shoot enough bullets you will see a pattern develope,if it's side to side your rudder is giving inputs when you're shooting. If the pattern appears up and down then it's the elevator that giving inputs while shooting,you could also have both affecting your shooting.

If you find the rudder is the biggest problem,start by adding some deadpan,this will increase center of the stick and may be enough to reduce that unwanted inputs. You may need to add some dampening as well and if you are really heavy handed you might have to do as Fugi's brother inlaw and adjust the scaling.

What you are trying to do is stop the intial inputs on the rudder and/or elevator to stop any nose bounce. A little movement from the tail makes alot of movement of the guns so you want your stick smooth around the centering of the axii.

YMMV.

:salute

PS: my screen is 55 inches.....hardly big as a house!  I need it because I cant see close in,a 24 inch widescreen make me legally blind!

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 01:22:46 PM »
Counter-intuitively, I have found that making the scaling settings more sensitive seems to have improved my aim. I am still having difficulty rolling into my turns or applying Gs while keeping the ball perfectly coordinated however. It seems especially challenging to unload precisely to 0 on the G-meter while keeping the ball in the center all the while.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Skyyr

• persona non grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 12:59:12 AM »
Counter-intuitively, I have found that making the scaling settings more sensitive seems to have improved my aim. I am still having difficulty rolling into my turns or applying Gs while keeping the ball perfectly coordinated however. It seems especially challenging to unload precisely to 0 on the G-meter while keeping the ball in the center all the while.

You don't need to keep the ball centered while in 0G. Only only need to keep it centered when there's a load on the wings.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - 296

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 30-11

KOTH Wins: 6, Egos Broken: 1000+

Mmmmm... tears.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 01:04:21 AM »
you dont need to keep it centered at ALL in AH ;)

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 02:35:22 AM »
you dont need to keep it centered at ALL in AH ;)

Hmmm...what about increased drag from yawing while maneuvering?

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 07:17:37 AM »
I do not stick scale. I found that the scaling did make me more heavy fisted. Kind of like flying a remote control airplane with the dual rates on and off. If you leave them off and learn to discipline your fingers, your flying gets more precise. Insofar as shooting and dogfighting, the best thing I found was having a combat trim on off button toggled to my stick.

If in a stall fight, I leave combat trim off. If still flying on the wing, I would turn it on before the shot to help stabilize the airplane. If you  are having problems shooting at high AoA and low speeds the combat trim may be your issue as it is fighting to level trim your airplane in really un-trim-able states.

I set small dead bands, just to keep from accidentally bumping the autopilot on or off, and as the stick wears.  :salute
If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 12:41:25 AM »
Hmmm...what about increased drag from yawing while maneuvering?

I never look at the ball...never have.

I have hundreds of films of me maneuvering.... :D

its a game....I am not worried about death. :D :rock

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 02:53:07 AM »
I never look at the ball...never have.

I have hundreds of films of me maneuvering.... :D

its a game....I am not worried about death. :D :rock

Tell us again about your shooting.   :D

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 12:05:51 AM »

shoot from the hip.... :uhoh

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 07:05:01 AM »
Um...okay. What I'm saying is that I thought any deviation of the ball from the center indicates some slip, and considering that slipping can be used deliberately as an air-brake I was thinking any slip increased E-bleed in maneuvers.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 07:08:42 AM »

I have a few films of INK's and I agree he doesn't worry about all those technical things. He also seems to get very target fixated even when surrounded. .... which is most often  :D His aim is very good, and with the cannons on his K I one shot is all he needs.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 02:18:29 PM »
I have a few films of INK's and I agree he doesn't worry about all those technical things. He also seems to get very target fixated even when surrounded. .... which is most often  :D His aim is very good, and with the cannons on his K I one shot is all he needs.

:rofl

I do get target fixated....especially if someone HOs then I try to kill them first....(that is a fault)

but the aiming good in the KI.... is why I said to you to grab 1 plane and stick with it...I do know the KI and thats the only reason I can hit good with it.

Um...okay. What I'm saying is that I thought any deviation of the ball from the center indicates some slip, and considering that slipping can be used deliberately as an air-brake I was thinking any slip increased E-bleed in maneuvers.

I am not saying you are wrong....all I am saying is in "Aces High"...it really doesn't matter

the only time it would really show is if you were fighting someone who was around the same skill level and he plays the E game.....but then just be smooth on the stick...

if you know the maneuvers, and are smooth with them...dont worry about the ball, that is just something that takes the mind off of the fight.