Author Topic: So, you want to fly the wooden wonder - again.  (Read 15393 times)

Offline BluBerry

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Re: So, you want to fly the wooden wonder - again.
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 11:05:46 AM »
Beef skirt has been cooking in the clay pot since 10.am, serving about 6.30pm. Chunks of bell peppers and red onions and a bundle of fresh coriander :old:

*  nice write up bozon

Offline Hoplite

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 12:25:11 PM »
<continued>
 Another option is to fly next to P-38s, 110s, 410s and C47s - these are the only planes that may pull some aggro away from you :)

Hey!  That's just not right!  Go fly next to a goon or something!  :lol

<continued>
The lives of twin-engine fighters are not easy...

Ain't that the truth.... :frown:

Outstanding write up, bozon.  This may motivate me to up a Mossie and go make some kindling / toothpicks somewhere on the map!   :aok

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2014, 04:34:46 PM »
Oh god, I laughed all the way through that, what a fantastic post :old:

Loads of info and wit and when I got to "A mosquito bearing down on someone spewing tracers out of her nose" I almost got an excitable patriotic tear in my eye, mind you I am cutting onions and peppers for a Jalfrezi so thats my excuse.

Love flying a Mossie and now I've read this I intend to attempt, poorly no doubt, to put some of this into practice

Superb work Bozon. Thank You  :salute
Beef skirt has been cooking in the clay pot since 10.am, serving about 6.30pm. Chunks of bell peppers and red onions and a bundle of fresh coriander :old:
Damn you. I just raided the kitchen because of you and still am not satisfied.

Hey!  That's just not right!  Go fly next to a goon or something!  :lol

Ain't that the truth.... :frown:

Outstanding write up, bozon.  This may motivate me to up a Mossie and go make some kindling / toothpicks somewhere on the map!   :aok
Out of the planes in that list, I think the 110 is the one to be targeted the least. 410 draw a lot of attention due to rarity and P-38 is perhaps the plane least flown to its full potential in the game. 110s I meet are often well flown and they are much more dangerous in a fight than the 410.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Hoplite

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2014, 07:57:02 PM »
Out of the planes in that list, I think the 110 is the one to be targeted the least. 410 draw a lot of attention due to rarity and P-38 is perhaps the plane least flown to its full potential in the game. 110s I meet are often well flown and they are much more dangerous in a fight than the 410.

*shhhhh*

Pay no attention to bozon.  He's crazy.  The 110 is a fat ugly target!

;)

:lol

FYI - You are also correct about the 410...still it's fun to fly and die in it...which is the typical result for most.  It is also fun to hunt bombers in one.  :aok

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2014, 08:10:01 PM »
Boson,

If your Mossie is topping out at 354 at SL on WEP and 315mph at SL on MIL you've got a dirty airframe.

If you are taking her out as a fighter never take DTs or wing mounted bombs.  Under no circumstances take rockets unless you plan on doing nothing other than air-to-ground.

Clean and 50% internal fuel the Mossie'll do 357mph at SL on WEP and 320mph at SL on MIL.  Not a lot better, but every mile per hour helps.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline F77

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2014, 01:36:09 PM »
Loved the write up. :aok  Mossie XVI can be very agile as a fighter and I have duped players in to dogfighting with me, thinking it was a VI, great fun.

JABO's I have recently found that dropping at 400 yds is giving me a good success rate, and you are travelling that fast and low it makes you a difficult target.  Yet to drop a cookie on a crowded tank scene... want to try it sometime soon!

Spin recovery.  When I started fighting the mossie and getting in to really deep spins, I found that switching off the engines removes the torque component that is pulling you ever deeper in.  Having said that with experience I'm catching it well before that.

Alone, Unarmed and most definately, Unafraid :)

Offline F77

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2014, 01:36:53 PM »
Any chance of doing this write up in a nifty PDF with pictures for download?

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2014, 06:25:37 AM »
Any chance of doing this write up in a nifty PDF with pictures for download?

Ask and you shall receive! This guide in PDF format and some motivational pictures included, all free of charge.

Click to Download PDF Version

I'll be posting the figures and captions here later for the benefit of those who can't be bothered with the PDF.
:airplane: Mossies Rule!  :rock

Offline beepee

• Zinc Member
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2014, 08:34:43 PM »
I am new to the game, and was just skimming the Help topics when I came across this gem.

Your mission is achieved sir, I will be flying the Mossie on my next visit into AH land. <S>

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2014, 12:57:52 PM »
I am new to the game, and was just skimming the Help topics when I came across this gem.

Your mission is achieved sir, I will be flying the Mossie on my next visit into AH land. <S>
Welcome to AH beepee!

I am happy to motivate at least one player :)
The mosquito is a great and powerful plane. Let me warn you though that it is not the easiest plane to fly and hence not the best trainer plane. The Mossie is a very demanding mistress, so the workload is high and a lot of attention is required to control this beast. This is relative to some other planes that are more of a start-and-go kind that let you worry about the combat and less about flying the plane.

Do not be discouraged though! It is a wonderful and versatile bird, that is also very rewarding. Even if you find it difficult initially and decide to focus on another plane as the main ride, please make the occasional run in the mossie and you will notice a huge improvement as your skills improve. If you happen to fly Rooks and see me online I'll be happy to wing with you for a mossie day "ranger" mission.

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2014, 05:39:35 PM »
You inspired me to take the Mossie XVI up for a spin today, so I upped to help attack the town of a base we were hitting. This was the result of a single cookie.  :t

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2014, 05:57:44 PM »
 Bozon,

This is great stuff,just enough humour to get a person interested and keep them reading yet packed with tons of useful imformation!  As a mossie flyers I found everything to be spot on with my experiences flying it.

I wish some other players who specialize in a bird could come up with a similar writeup.  This is exactly what will encourage new and old players alike to venture out in a plane they may have not considered before!

I give it an A grade,would have gotten A+ but 303's arent ballast,they will zip the tip of a lancs wing off in no time once close enough! :devil  Now those 2x500lbs in the bomb bay,those are what I call ballast! :aok

:salute

Offline NikonGuy

• Copper Member
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2014, 11:23:48 PM »
Absolutely awesome post Bozon <S>

I was a 38 stick but fly the mossie mostly now .. great info :)
You break 'em, I fix 'em.
RAAF Retired Aircraft Maintenance Technician, General Dynamics F111, Lockheed P3C, Douglas A20G & DB7

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2014, 12:58:47 AM »
You inspired me to take the Mossie XVI up for a spin today, so I upped to help attack the town of a base we were hitting. This was the result of a single cookie.  :t

(Image removed from quote.)
Now that is a fine cookie toss  :aok

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2014, 02:28:54 PM »

If you want to see the most out of the Mossie then fly with a wingman or better yet 3 or 4 mates. I know you can say this about any plane but Mossies flown in this B@Z style support each other and bring an awful lot of firepower to the B@Z game and when flown in the vertical with support can dominate the 5k and up airspace. No bombs, no rockets, just support each other with an awful lot of bullets. Its a great gunning platform and quite nimble in its best speed range. Good views....ect And if you get control of an airfield airspace its a murderous vulcher.

I forget the name of the guy who taught me this Mossie play style. He was a top Mossie guy, kind of grumbly, but he knew a lot about fighting Mossies.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"