Author Topic: judging e status  (Read 1278 times)

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
Re: judging e status
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 05:18:46 PM »
E status has two measures for me-

First, my TAS.

Second, my TAS in relation to my enemy/target and my immediate position/angle of attack in relation to my goal.

It is all relative to what the goal is, to me it is more about "do I have enough" vs "how much do I have".  YMMV
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2014, 06:19:04 PM »
If you feel confident enough in your ability to not get caught during a furball. Reduce throttle by about half until you actually need full and or WEP to climb or run away. Then place your head on a constant swivel watching everything. You will find the majority of players roar around at full throttle or even WEP all the time while in combat. If you are at half throttle this becomes obvious like night and day. Your worst enemy in most engagements is your own E bank being too full and veteran ACM players allowing you to kill yourself with that.

What you may find in the beginning of this exercise is the fight will pass you by. Even diving in at half throttle will gain you speed but, in many cases you will get to the dinner table late. Still, how often have you dove in on WEP trying to take advantage, and been back in the tower scratching your head because a well known name shot you down for your trouble. That E state you wanted to judge was your own more than his.

Though, when attacked, especially from above, your lower speed will allow you more control over the outcome of your evasive. Including if you even need to towards the end of it, going WEP suddenly and performing an E state changeup of your own. Or slowing down rapidly enough to magically pop your flaps out. Ever hear the old saw about going slower around a circle gets you there faster?

Ask yourself honestly. Which E state is really getting you shot down? The muppets in the DA can help you with the more aggressive aspects of that, along with the Trainers in the TA can ground you in the a,b,c's on a personal 1 to 1 basis. Spend an hour with a Trainer on this subject and you will have better outcomes in the MA. Spend a week in the DA after that with the muppets, and you will be a holy terror in the MA. Ever fight pepprr in her pink spit?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2014, 11:23:20 PM »
It's all feel for me, on first merge sometimes it's hard to judge and opponents can hide energy by flying fast and low, but once you begin to approach, you will start to get a feel for closure rates.  If you truly don't know at the point of the first merge, it shouldn't take long to figure out.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2014, 11:56:15 PM »
Judge not, that ye be not judged.  :old:
Wow! Nice, but that's why I want to be able to judge. The golden rule is in that book as well. I am not asking for much,just ability to do unto others as they do unto me! Or, before they can do unto me would be better. Thanks tho, I needed that :salute
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2014, 12:03:58 AM »
If you feel confident enough in your ability to not get caught during a furball. Reduce throttle by about half until you actually need full and or WEP to climb or run away. Then place your head on a constant swivel watching everything. You will find the majority of players roar around at full throttle or even WEP all the time while in combat. If you are at half throttle this becomes obvious like night and day. Your worst enemy in most engagements is your own E bank being too full and veteran ACM players allowing you to kill yourself with that.

What you may find in the beginning of this exercise is the fight will pass you by. Even diving in at half throttle will gain you speed but, in many cases you will get to the dinner table late. Still, how often have you dove in on WEP trying to take advantage, and been back in the tower scratching your head because a well known name shot you down for your trouble. That E state you wanted to judge was your own more than his.

Though, when attacked, especially from above, your lower speed will allow you more control over the outcome of your evasive. Including if you even need to towards the end of it, going WEP suddenly and performing an E state changeup of your own. Or slowing down rapidly enough to magically pop your flaps out. Ever hear the old saw about going slower around a circle gets you there faster?

Ask yourself honestly. Which E state is really getting you shot down? The muppets in the DA can help you with the more aggressive aspects of that, along with the Trainers in the TA can ground you in the a,b,c's on a personal 1 to 1 basis. Spend an hour with a Trainer on this subject and you will have better outcomes in the MA. Spend a week in the DA after that with the muppets, and you will be a holy terror in the MA. Ever fight pepprr in her pink spit?
Oh yes! She is bad arse! I have run into her a few times,never had very long to even consider her e state :angel:
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2014, 12:06:44 AM »
Thanks guys! I greatly appreciate the input. I now have at least somewhat of an idea, and how to learn it. Thanks again :salute

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2014, 12:06:59 AM »
Closure rates.

ack-ack

Took the words right out of my mouth. 

Except the ack-ack part.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2014, 03:07:03 AM »
if he crashes into you then his e was a bit higher than yours. 

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.