Author Topic: Food for thought ...  (Read 14693 times)

Offline Pandora

• Copper Member
Food for thought ...
« on: March 31, 2014, 05:30:20 PM »
Hi everyone,

Seriously, I am actually feeling really sad about the game in general.

I've been flying since FA, maybe 6 years now.  I've had bad spells before and taken a break.  But recently I've felt like quitting altogether.

I don't consider myself particularly good pilot, as much as I try, so I am not about to say I'm so much better than everyone else - far from it.  But, the standard of flying I am seeing become more and more prevalent is dire.  When players are asked if they have any interest in ACM we get sarcastic, smartass retorts. 

New players don't spend any time in the training room - I pop in there occasionally, unlike when I first came to AH there never anyone there.  There always used to be trainers, not any more.  I've offered to help new players, a couple have even shown some enthusiasm, but never took me up on the offer.  There is little or no interest from new players from enjoying the spirit of the game as a simulation.

Ho'ing is the expected norm from 90% of the encounters I am involved with. 
Players with alt and E advantage run away from a 1-to-1 fight.
Players ditch, bail and even Alt-F4 to avoid being killed.   
Ramming is not uncommon.  Last night I had 5 enemy planes on me and one resorted to ramming me from above because he couldn't hit and he was so desperate to bring me down.

I'm sad because, like so many, I've put a crazy amount of time into learning and trying to be a better player.  Yet now the game is rarely any fun at all.

Having said all that, I'd like to try and keep positive.  We need to accept that things are not as they should be and work together to find ways to put it right.

The first suggestion I would like to make is that all new players HAVE to spend  a certain amount of time in the training room and in a special new player arena.  In this way they could learn how to fly, but even more importantly, they could learn how to become a part of the "community".   I suggest that volunteers are called for to spend as much time as they are happy to commit towards an Instructor rota.  I suggest that the training room is covered for different time zones.  (I will volunteer if such a plan is put in place.)

I am sure more of you will have ideas.  How about a change in the scoring system?  How about a change in the number of countries? 

When something is not going well, either change occurs or it dies.  The way it is now, more and more players are leaving the game and in a years time, who knows, what will we be left with?

Thank you for taking the time to read my posting.  All I ask is that you give a little thought before replying and if you disagree with me, at least be positive and constructive.

Pandora <S>

Offline bacon8tr

• Nickel Member
Re: Food for thought ...
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 06:12:07 PM »
Pandora...there is nothing wrong with stepping away from the game to take a break.  I have done so for short periods of time and come back each time with a fresh perspective.  I have fought you a few times in your spit and always had good clean fun fights.  I try my best to give an opponent a good fight and normally don't fire nose on unless fired upon in that manner first.  Take a deep breath and remember this is a game and many use it to escape real life and have fun as they see fit.  Fly your style,just keep in mind others have their own idea of fun and it may not jive with yours.  When the newbies get tired of dieing due to lack of ACM, then they will seek out the Yodas of AH.   :cheers:  :salute
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 06:32:55 PM by bacon8tr »

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 06:12:31 PM »
I know where you're coming from. Me and some close friends were just talking about this.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 06:27:29 PM »
pandora come play world of tanks with us.  then you'll really see some really bad players  :D.  but taking a break is good.  I can only play every other week due to work and now I am looking at at least a month before i can play again as my throttle broke and I dont want to spend money to buy another before the x55 is out.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Hoplite

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 06:39:05 PM »
Why is it I rarely experience most of this stuff?  Well, except for the HO attempts....seems like 90% of the Spit16s and Ponys I run into these days come in head on guns blazin'.  It's annoying but easily dodged....so even that's not a show stopper for me.

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 06:47:32 PM »
Pandora...there is nothing wrong with stepping away from the game to take a break.  I have done so for short periods of time and come back each time with a fresh perspective.  I have fought you a few times in your spit and always had good clean fun fights.  I try my best to give an opponent a good fight and normally don't fire nose on unless fired upon in that manner first.  Take a deep breath and remember this is a game and many use it to escape real life and have fun as they see fit.  Fly your style,just keep in mind others have their own idea of fun and it may not jive with yours.  When the newbies get tired of dieing due to lack of ACM, then they will seek out the Yodas of AH.   :cheers:  :salute

....or just look for some other game to play.

I wish Aces High was more "mission orientated". I wish there was a supreme commander for each side that could list a bunch of mission. As they are completed it adds toward the total needed to win the war. I wish the missions had size limits, were for strat, OR base capture, OR GV battles, OR fighter sweep.

I wish hording wasn't possible, scoring a kill from behind the 3-9 line of the enemy scored triple, and bailing from a good aircraft worked like "ALT F4".

That being said, everyone plays the game there own way. Lately it's been much harder to find the fights I like, but now and then I do find them and it's the only thing that keeps me coming back. Like all things, the good game will come around again. I just hope it lasts long enough.

Offline shotgunneeley

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 08:07:43 PM »
I wish the dueling arena was reconfigured more into a "sparring" arena. There seems to be a clear split within the population between strategic war players and tactical combat players. Having the two factions mixed into the MA has proved unpleasant with all the finger-pointing.

For the tactical combat arena, allow only aircraft capable of fullfilling the "fighter" role (i.e. Remove all bombs and rockets) along with tanks and ships. In this arena, players will only be able to engage others through fighter vs fighter, tank vs tank, or ship vs ship. There will be no way to capture fields or destroy objects other than by gun fire. Unlike the DA, perk points and ENY limitations will be enabled. The arena would be very dense to allow quick entry into combat with little required downtime for the player to find a fight. The purpose of this arena would be to allow players the chance to engage enemy vehicles in a pure and controlled environment free from us warmongers.

The MA stays as it is fitting the desires of the strategic war players.
"Lord, let us feel pity for Private Jenkins, and sorrow for ourselves, and all the angel warriors that fall. Let us fear death, but let it not live within us. Protect us, O Lord, and be merciful unto us. Amen"-from FALLEN ANGELS by Walter Dean Myers

Game ID: ShtGn (Inactive), Squad: 91st BG

Offline kappa

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 08:21:16 PM »
Why is it I rarely experience most of this stuff?  Well, except for the HO attempts....seems like 90% of the Spit16s and Ponys I run into these days come in head on guns blazin'.  It's annoying but easily dodged....so even that's not a show stopper for me.

ikr? Its all the norm now a dayz.. Its like you grab to get the badguy's base just to find a bf110 2-4k above you.. He makes one turn and dives straight into his own ack.. Not only does that 110 have multiple friendlies around to protect him.. He doesn't even try to make it a fight.. just straight to the deck in the ack.. Almost all the time these guys are not too much trouble.. They're easily dodged too.. and a giggle as they dive tail tucked.. 8)
- TWBYDHAS

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 08:34:23 PM »
"So far the score is Gunzo 237 - Skyyr 0"
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Hoplite

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 10:45:58 PM »
ikr? Its all the norm now a dayz.. Its like you grab to get the badguy's base just to find a bf110 2-4k above you.. He makes one turn and dives straight into his own ack.. Not only does that 110 have multiple friendlies around to protect him.. He doesn't even try to make it a fight.. just straight to the deck in the ack.. Almost all the time these guys are not too much trouble.. They're easily dodged too.. and a giggle as they dive tail tucked.. 8)

:rofl

Yep!  Kinda like the gaggle of 109K4s and Ki84s I see ALL the time, sometimes above me, sometimes below.  All supporting one another and vulching their heads off...usually waiting for a  plane above them to fly down, turn and die while they do it.   

I usually know when this is going on because I see certain individuals land more than two kills at a time....actually, come to think of it, land kills at all.  It's a huge tip off, kappy.

Enjoy the fight at 214.

Offline Nimrod45

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 11:06:31 PM »
My opinion is that a major part of the problem is attitudes.  Poor ACM is just that and is cured eventually by time, but poor attitudes are malignant and grow with time and isnt a noob problem.  Old sticks flaming Noobs and palying the mine is bigger than your game hear in the forums.  A lot of people here in the forums and in the game really need to take a look from the outside at how they are acting.  If your behavior would get your butt kicked in real life then you should shape it up here because you are still dealing with real people.  My opinion is everyone should try to leave their ego's at the door and treat others as you like to be treated.  Don't flame people for their post in the wish list section or anywhere else.  If someone salutes you salute back, even if you are having a temper tantrum, keep the tantrum in the privacy of your own home.  200 is a disgusting example of the AH community behavior, talk of drugs, sex, peoples mothers, unbelievable.  When I played 5 years ago the community then would not tolerate that behavior and monitored it themselves.  then I would let my boy play, now I would not.  If this community wants more players and wants better then my opinion is they have to be better!  Just watch how this post here goes down the drain and that will tell you what is wrong with the game.  It has nothing to do with the graphics, the flight modeling or peoples skill, it is all about attitude.  I am of the opinion that we should hold eachother accountable for attitude and not continue to support the downward evolution of our game because people cant behave themselves over the internet.

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 11:17:16 PM »
Too much complaining and judging.   :old:

Go shoot down the top ranked fighter pilots and patiently help teach the others how. :joystick:

The game use to be so good and has declined so much recently: http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,1918.0.html :rolleyes:

« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 11:39:46 PM by Midway »

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline ReVo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 11:41:02 PM »
Too much complaining and judging.   :old:

Go shoot down the top ranked fighter pilots and patiently help teach the others how. :joystick:

The game use to be so good and has declined so much recently: http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,1918.0.html :rolleyes:

Shutup Meg.
XO Jagdgeschwader 53 'Pik As'

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2014, 11:43:52 PM »
Pandora just explained why im not playing  :uhoh
AoM
City of ice

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2014, 12:10:53 AM »
Pandora just explained why im not playing  :uhoh

then explain why dont just go away?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.