Author Topic: Health insurance  (Read 2621 times)

Offline rogwar

• Silver Member
Health insurance
« on: April 07, 2014, 11:41:17 AM »
So what has happened to yours?  same, gone up or down?

Our cost is up along with what we pay out of pocket. Not as bad as some of other peoples. We are using more of the flexible spending account.

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
Re: Health insurance
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 11:47:20 AM »
In. Old insurance was cancelled (didn't meet standards of ACA); new one costs about the same premium-wise, but higher out of pocket costs (combined with lower flex-spending available, again due to ACA changes). My daughter, who self insures had her premiums raised by 8% this year.
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 11:55:22 AM »
Cost is up a bit since my employer absorbed the brunt of the increase.  More meds are being added to the "do not use" list unless all others have been tried, in other words, unless you've tried all the generics we aren't paying for what you want.  Flex spending now can be rolled over to next year, that helps.
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline smoe

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 12:24:38 PM »
Mine went up 50% in the last 6-months.

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 12:43:58 PM »
40% price increase immediately after the new law went into effect.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 01:19:21 PM »
My Health Insurance in the UK is pennies  a day and covers a cut fingers and full cancer cover care  :old:

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 01:23:41 PM »
See Rules #14, #6
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 01:56:03 PM by Skuzzy »
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline MrGeezer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 01:34:31 PM »
I used to be a licensed rep for one of the largest Health & Life insurers out there and there are many many issues that can cause a person's rates to go up....or even get dropped.

Getting older (usually in 10 year increments), having expensive health problems or procedures, are obvious reasons.  Now that companies cannot discriminate for pre-existing conditions THAT is one expensive problem for companies.  Considering  if someone had cancer, heart disease, diabetes, stroke, etc. those issues can ring up a very expensive tab in a year when before those people normally couldn't get coverage -- even at a extremely high rate.

Also, it does matter if you get health insurance as an individual or as part of a group (through an employer, i.e.).  Individual rates are almost always higher than group.  Group rates can go up depending on the health and ages of those in the group.  Working at a large law firm, for example, where most all of the employees are over 50 will have far higher rates than a daycare where most of the employees are in their 20's and 30's.  

I am not going to get into the problems of the current national problem of health care other than the fact that if you force a business to do something that drastically screws with their bottom line and profit margins they will jack the rates up to compensate themselves for the extra pay-out costs or simply drop a policy holder who seems to be a greater liability to them in a heartbeat -- with usually no recourse available to the "dropee".

Health and life are both things that if you get it while you are young, say early 20's, will always be cheaper...however most young people think they are bulletproof and don't care to get either.
Killing Virtual Bad Guys Since 1995  Disabled, retired.

"Posting anything, which says anything positive about anyone, on our board, will always turn into a derogatory mess. It should be a forum posting rule."  Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 01:46:10 PM »
I dont even want to talk about this. I'll get banned from the forums were my views known.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 03:08:26 PM »
premium up
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 03:41:54 PM »
My Health Insurance in the UK is pennies  a day and covers a cut fingers and full cancer cover care  :old:

I pay 0,82% of my salary for health insurance for full coverage, including dental.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 04:04:49 PM »
Odly enough it was health insurance that made it possible for the great leaps forward in medical care in the US.  They were willing to pay which gave healthcare companies incentive to develop products and services.

When I was a boy, the doc came to your house, opened his black bag and pretty much, your healthcare came out of that bag.  No, MRIs, no CT scans, no wiggly things that went up the unspeakable orifices in the human body.

It is a wonderful healthcare system we have but it is just real expensive.

My best advice for young people, get a job with a government either state or local.  LOL My next door neighbor complained because his state teachers insurance plan went up to 70 bucks a month.  When I told him how much we paid, he never said another word.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 06:35:16 PM »
See Rules #14, #6

My health insurance premiums went up 40%.  I wanted my old plan but I couldn't keep it.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 06:43:34 PM »
mine went up. i've got at least 3 customers, and 2 friends that've lost theirs. moms went up, along with her deductible. i've got a customer that's a doctor.....he's saying that there's some ridiculous deductibles. like $6k/year ridiculous that many people don't realize yet.

ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 07:12:23 PM »
mine went up. i've got at least 3 customers, and 2 friends that've lost theirs. moms went up, along with her deductible. i've got a customer that's a doctor.....he's saying that there's some ridiculous deductibles. like $6k/year ridiculous that many people don't realize yet.

And I've heard one story of a guy with pre-existing Diabetes and other issues, saw deductible of 16k.
Opted out and was notified that IRS would get info to assess his penalty, because he opted out.
 Wait till the supporters of it realize theirs :aok                                                                                                                                    
                                                                                                                                :cheers: Oz

Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID