Author Topic: Damaged Engine Model  (Read 865 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Damaged Engine Model
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2014, 09:24:20 PM »
Isn't the biggest reason why we can hit things from 800 out is because of the icon??? fly icons of and you'd be surprised how close you actually get without the range computing.

As has been said elsewhere, removing icons will actually make things LESS realistic. It's not the icons that make gunnery too easy at long ranges, unless it's a matter of the range indicator being too precise (thoughts: what would you all think about showing the aircraft ID and, if the rate of closure or opening is sufficiently high, giving a + or - to indicate this, but NOT showing the actual range?).

The real problem I think is the environment. There's not really any air out there; it's a vacuum. There's no turbulence, prop wash, slip streams, thermals, high and low-pressure areas, none of the myriad little factors that would impact flight and gunnery. I think it's been confirmed that ground effect does exist, and the last time I flew I think I saw wind layers being used in the Mains, but the wind is at a consistent airspeed and direction in each altitude band, with no gusting or direction changes, but otherwise the game is a static environment.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 09:26:04 PM by Saxman »
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2014, 10:21:22 PM »
+1, provided it differentiates between damage that would reduce engine output, and stuff that wouldn't. You can still run at full power with a radiator or oil leak, you'll just do serious damage to the engine at some point.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2014, 10:42:17 PM »
As has been said elsewhere, removing icons will actually make things LESS realistic. It's not the icons that make gunnery too easy at long ranges, unless it's a matter of the range indicator being too precise (thoughts: what would you all think about showing the aircraft ID and, if the rate of closure or opening is sufficiently high, giving a + or - to indicate this, but NOT showing the actual range?).

The real problem I think is the environment. There's not really any air out there; it's a vacuum. There's no turbulence, prop wash, slip streams, thermals, high and low-pressure areas, none of the myriad little factors that would impact flight and gunnery. I think it's been confirmed that ground effect does exist, and the last time I flew I think I saw wind layers being used in the Mains, but the wind is at a consistent airspeed and direction in each altitude band, with no gusting or direction changes, but otherwise the game is a static environment.
There is also no flexing of the aircraft, wing twist and so on and on.

Icons play almost no role beyond letting you know something is there.  The ranges haven't been precise for more than a decade.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-