Author Topic: Midway...  (Read 3167 times)

Offline Hoplite

• Nickel Member
Re: Midway...
« Reply #120 on: April 14, 2014, 10:15:44 PM »

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #121 on: April 14, 2014, 11:24:10 PM »
Yes, unlike Ayn Rand, Hayek does have plenty credibility, unfortunately the economic model proposed by ' the first Austrian school of economics' suffers from deflationary spirals. I should note that although Hayek is often associated with that school of thought he also believed in base line social services and in many ways deviated from that model.

Perhaps, but, per the monetarists and empirical evidence, inflation and deflation are both easily managed - and that's the monetarists primary contribution. I would never argue that any one school had a monopoly on truth. As for the whole social net issue, part of the reason for Ayn's summary denunciations (and they got more and more abrupt and frequent as she aged) was other's "Failure" to adhere to her idea of ideological purity. Hence, anything as practical as a basic net was anathema to her. As for me, I think we need not argue whether those should or should not be. We're so far past that point, such an argument is detached from all reality. My own view is that the LAffer curve says that optimal revenue is realized at around a 20% taxation rate on GDP. Take this historical average and stick to it by policy (because you're stuck with it, in fact, for reasons I can explain, regardless of what you do with marginal rates) and optimize coverage around that level of revenue.

Anecdote: mt old Flint School headmaster and his wife went to one of Rand's last speeches. They were introduced to her after the speech. It was some big deal held in NY where they brought her in in her own rail car, blah-blah. She was their with some handlers, including, of course, the always sycophantic Peikoff (think KEitel in the bunker, at this stage in her life). Somehow, after the intro, she started asking if the Stoll's (my headmaster and his wife) were the one who "ran that school that claims to be Objectivist". They had never claimed any such thing but that was beside the point to her. She proceeded to rip 'em a new one, right there in front of everyone. You don't know George nad Betty Stoll but, in some ways, it was poetic justics. However, it's typical of the treatment she was dishing near th eend.

All this led me to coin my first theorem of politics. It's a limit theorem. At th elimit, as ideological purity approaches infinity, faction size/number of adherents approach unity. I haven't got much use for it, given that I do corporate process/product development work, but I believe it correct.

A Tsarist, though? No. She denounced Tsarism as equally as communism. She didn't much like the Orthodox church, either. Recall Orwell's portrayal of this: the Raven, always talking toejame about "the big rock candy mountain".
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #122 on: April 15, 2014, 09:19:38 AM »
Actually, the topic at hand is Midway.   :old:

Given that, I hereby restrict further discussion in this thread to the named pacific atoll, distance measurement, or the consistent and thorough application of pwnage our beloved character Midway has received.

Thanks in advance.   :salute

Birds are stupid, btw. 
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #123 on: April 15, 2014, 10:04:42 AM »

Birds are stupid, btw.  

You have obviously not watched the videos, the live feed, reflected, nor considered the images and facts in front of you.  You do not know, therefore, what you are missing, sadly. :frown:

We're talking about the Albatross, not just any ordinary " birds :rolleyes: ".

Take some time and try to comprehend (show an "ability to learn and understand") the beauty and skill of the Albatross and maybe, just maybe, you too will see the light.  :O

NASA has seen the light: http://www.downloaddailymotion.com/video/0-nasa-albatross-dynamic-soaring-open-ocean-persistent-platform-uav-concept.html

Now... please consider the following definition...

stu·pid adjective \ˈstü-pəd, ˈstyü-\ : having or showing a lack of ability to learn and understand things

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/stupid

Nuff said. :)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 12:32:41 PM by Midway »

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #124 on: April 15, 2014, 11:24:49 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4zEaYl01Uw

"This aircraft is based on the Albatross which inhabitats the southern oceans by Antarctica. The typical Albatross weighs about 25 lbs. They have an aspect ratio 16 wing with an 11 foot span. They are estimated to have an L/D of 27. Since there are few static soaring opportunities over the ocean, the Albatross uses a technique called Dynamic Soaring (DS) to maintain flight. Dynamic soaring is a figure eight-like flight maneuver that takes advantage of horizontal wind gradients to maintain flight speed and altitude. The albatross can travel over 1000 km per day without ever flapping their wings through the constant use of such maneuvers, while able to tack any direction with independence of wind direction The Albatross is also able to lock their shoulder joint to rest their muscles and even capable of sleeping while performing the DS flight maneuvers." -- NASAPAV

Now, more than nuff said.  :aok

:salute
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 11:26:45 AM by Midway »

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #125 on: April 15, 2014, 11:48:21 AM »
They are truly amazing creatures. Though most of the pelagic birds are.

These aerial pirates are masters of air combat. The frigate bird attacks other gulls and forces them to hand over their dinner with precision aerial attacks.

The Sooty Tern has poor water proofing on it's feathers and rarely rests on the water if it can help it. They skim the surface plucking bait fish out mid-flight without getting a drop of water on their wings. They are masters of close proximity flying unrivalled by most other pelagic birds. They are also exceptionally beautiful.

The list goes on and on.

When most people think of seagulls they can only conjure up an image of a fat bird who steals your chips by the beach. Nothing could be further from the truth.

And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline doc1kelley

• Silver Member
« Reply #126 on: April 15, 2014, 11:54:53 AM »
  The O'club
open forum for off topic and less serious discussions

:huh THIS IS THE REVELANT FORUM

Sorry to tell ya this but Skuzzy moved this thread to the O-Club from the general discussion forum.
awDoc1
The Flying Circus Rocks! We're clowns of a different color!

Beer! helping ugly folks get laid!

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #127 on: April 15, 2014, 12:09:39 PM »
They are truly amazing creatures. Though most of the pelagic birds are.

These aerial pirates are masters of air combat. The frigate bird attacks other gulls and forces them to hand over their dinner with precision aerial attacks.

(Image removed from quote.)

The Sooty Tern has poor water proofing on it's feathers and rarely rests on the water if it can help it. They skim the surface plucking bait fish out mid-flight without getting a drop of water on their wings. They are masters of close proximity flying unrivalled by most other pelagic birds. They are also exceptionally beautiful.

The list goes on and on.

When most people think of seagulls they can only conjure up an image of a fat bird who steals your chips by the beach. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Indeed. :aok

:salute batfink :rock

Offline XxDaSTaRxx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #128 on: April 15, 2014, 02:38:58 PM »
These are no ordinary birds.  :old:
They are beautiful awe inspiring birds.  :)
Quote from: Latrobe
Do not run.
Face your opponent with all you have.
If you die you have something to learn.

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #129 on: April 15, 2014, 07:04:22 PM »
They are beautiful awe inspiring birds.  :)

They truly are. :aok

I'm glad that you too can now see the light of their awesome skill and incredible beauty. :cheers:

Which brings to mind a wish list item for Aces High. :O

:)

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #131 on: April 15, 2014, 11:22:37 PM »
http://cams.allaboutbirds.org/channel/41/Laysan_Albatross/?utm_source=Cornell+Lab+eNews&utm_campaign=7dd922b88f-Cornell_Lab_eNews_2014_4_08&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_47588b5758-7dd922b88f-277783241

The baby Albatross left its nest just now. :)

It was probably the one I splattered with a n ace wing shot from my Citori 12 gage...

Seriously, I like the Frigate Bird. MAriners called them good luck. THeir aspect ratio and max l/d give them some serious climb and glide capability.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #133 on: April 23, 2014, 02:58:13 AM »
terns are a pelagic fisherman's good luck sign

where there's terns, nemo is under balling to avoid being eaten

terns and yellowfin, bluefin, albacore, yellowtail and sometimes dorado work the bait ball,  dolphin/porpoise too

that's where I come in  :devil
They're casting their bait over there, see?