Author Topic: Side switch times  (Read 9306 times)

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
Side switch times
« on: April 13, 2014, 05:19:26 AM »
The entire system is broken Hitech. Eny and side switching are supposed to work together, with eny acting as a deterrent to stay the high numbers side. Since we can basically switch sides one time a day, we have to make it count. Aces high is a social game and if your playing with squad mates and want to switch sides for whatever reason, every squad mate has to be able to switch! What are the chances of that? We are completely handcuffed. Slaves to eny, slaves to a particular country, and slaves to a volatile ever changing map that might be fun on one team for an hour and then suck the next hour.  If I switch sides because there's a good fight and an hour later there is nothing I'm logging! I realize war guys are nervous about spying but they should be more worried about low numbers making the game boring and their efforts fruitless without meaningful victory.

I'm not asking for it to be changed back to an hour but how about some sort of reasonable freakin compromise? How can the only two options tried be 1 hr and 12 hr? There is a lot of middle ground in there.

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
Re: Side switch times
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 05:35:27 AM »
Wholeheartedly agree, especially in the off peak times that are evening in my time zone. I no longer log in then and wait until I have a day off work to play.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 05:39:03 AM »
We've beat this one silly many times in the past. :bhead  IMHO, and based on what I've seen in the past, free side switching would be bad for this game. :uhoh

No matter what ideas people come up with to boot players who aren't really playing, there's a way to game it.

We should be focusing on those players who, quite often, stay logged on but aren't doing anything.

Ask them to log off so others can enjoy the game as intended. Ask them why they're screwing their fellow countrymen out of the chance to enjoy this game too. :furious
92 Squadron RAF - Aut pugna aut morere - 'Either fight or die'

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 06:04:48 AM »
Hitech, if you change that rule, i promise that you will have one more subscriber. 15$ isnt too much, still...
AoM
City of ice

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 06:12:02 AM »
Curious question.  Why would someone want to stay in the Tower for hours or days at a time?  Is it just country win perks?  That doesn't seem to worth much.  As posted before there are several really good high ENY planes.

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 06:15:02 AM »
Curious question.  Why would someone want to stay in the Tower for hours or days at a time?  Is it just country win perks?  That doesn't seem to worth much.  As posted before there are several really good high ENY planes.

One thing I've seen a lot is players who want to stay logged on but don't want to be seen in tower. Some just sit out in the open in the arena and some hide but they still aren't playing.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 06:23:32 AM »
One thing I've seen a lot is players who want to stay logged on but don't want to be seen in tower. Some just sit out in the open in the arena and some hide but they still aren't playing.

Ya but why would anyone do that? 

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 06:27:40 AM »
Ya but why would anyone do that? 

That's what we said! But repeated attempts to communicate with them got no response so....what could we do?

We're in the arena to play and nobody wants to spend very much time on it.

Offline jeep00

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 07:02:57 AM »
Some people have life happen and need to react immediately. Next suggestion will be that campers log until someone finally ups to that spawn. They are providing no more impactful effort then someone in a tower. But it doesn't matter. It's a game desivned for fun and realism of sorts. Side switching provides that for many. I still prefer an hour but grizz has provided an alternative that is sensible as well as a good perspective as to why it needs to change-hitech we love the game and not everyone who does has a bbs account. How about an arena log on poll?

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 07:13:56 AM »
I'm free of flk4's squad demand that I don't switch countries.

Freedom rocks.

Agree, all for it, make it two hours, should be enough to please nearly everybody?  Besides war win perks you have to be on the side that wins without switching w/in 12hrs right?

:old: I know, I know, I repent, once upon a time I thought it might change spiez or something or other like that  :headscratch:
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 08:11:36 AM »
As a guy who used to like to float around, I hated the side switch time rule nearly as much as I hated the guys on country talking about "chess piece loyalty" or spies. I would argue that your typical "side switcher" is the person who is looking for the fight, more then it is the person looking to give away the fight. In my case when I logged on, I would see who had low numbers, switch to that side, and live with it.

The challenge is, the side switch time applies to such as small number of the diminishing player base. Guys in large squads or guys who are country loyal typical either never switch, or switch as a squad in a rotation. The number of just pure furballers is low. I think a reasonable solution is to keep the present time, and add the option to burn perkies, say 25, to switch sides within that time period of the free side switch. Landing 25 perkies in a single sortie is not that big of a deal.

On the ENY question. I started just flying 30 ENY rides and higher because I dislike ENY for one, and secondly, no one is ever going to accuse you of running (lol). When the player base was huge, the effects of ENY were not as noticeable. When you have 400-500 people online, well percentages are percentages. When you have 150, the effect is much more drastic. I would argue for the deletion of the ENY balancing system. When Germany had its back against the wall in early 45' the limitations they faced were industry based, not technology based. So if you want to simulate ENY, limit fuel to cut the reach of the more powerful nation. Dunno, just thought of that one, I am sure someone has in the past...

If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 08:29:22 AM »

It is for the perks.

Staying logged in doesn't cost them any more than not and there is always the chance their country may win the war.... especially as some of the maps are rolled very quickly. For some "earning" those perks could be a major challenge and these are easy. 

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 08:32:21 AM »
 :huh not again
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 08:33:04 AM »
:huh not again

Why not, it's an issue and needs to be addressed. If it's a dead issue, Hitech should post that it is and the reason why he feels it should stay as it is. Then when the issue is brought up it is "on record" and can be pointed out and so end the repeated posts.

Offline 68Raptor

• Gold Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2014, 09:22:37 AM »
Why not, it's an issue and needs to be addressed. If it's a dead issue, Hitech should post that it is and the reason why he feels it should stay as it is. Then when the issue is brought up it is "on record" and can be pointed out and so end the repeated posts.
It wouldn't end the repeated posts.. Hitech has replied to several things in the past and people still post about them.

Personally I have no problem with the side switch rule. As I've stated in another post about this same dead horse topic.. I almost never have a problem finding a fight.. up and fly over to make a base flash.. no one ups I drop the radar. That usually gets me at least 1 upper.

For those that love to furball and furball only.. as has beeen stated 1000's of times before, there is an entire arena dedicated to just that and it doesn't even have a side switch time limit on it. Why the instant action fighter only guys don't gravitate into there and stop beating their heads against a solid piece of granite, demanding, whining and quitting is beyond me.  :bhead
Executive Officer
68th Lighting Lancers