Author Topic: Civil War Reenactment  (Read 675 times)

Offline shotgunneeley

• Silver Member
Civil War Reenactment
« on: April 19, 2014, 10:48:40 PM »
I participated in my very first Civil War reenactment today with the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Poison Spring in Camden, AR. A guy I work with has some family-friends who do this as a hobby and thought I'd be interested, so I said "shoot yeah"  as they were looking for a few extra bodies. I joined up with the 18th Iowa Infantry Regiment on the Union side (the losers of this particular battle). There were about 60 reenactors and some 700 spectators out to watch on the park grounds (the History Channel was also seen filming for a bit). Learned a lot of the local history that I wasn't aware of:

General Steele of the North was supposed to launch a pincer attack from his base in Little Rock, AR that was supposed to meet up with another force out of Shreveport, LA, the idea being to crush the Confederate forces of southern Arkansas, northern Louisiana and eastern Texas. Steele's forces occupied Camden when it was discovered that the Confederates had pulled out and learned of a rebel cache of corn 20 miles to the south. Critically low on supplies, he sent a foraging party with 200 wagons to capture the corn stash. On the return trip, the Yankees were ambushed by a large contingency of rebel soldiers, resulting in a loss of around 300 men and nearly all of the corn wagons. This became known as the Battle of Poison Spring - which got its name because it had been thought that the Confederates had poisoned the local "white oak creek" (Today, it is believed that the heat-stressed Yankee soldiers merely made themselves sick by drinking from the cold spring water). A few day's later, Steel withdrew from Camden and made his way back to his base in Little Rock. Along the way, he was dogged again by the pursuing Southern forces at Jenkin's Ferry while trying to cross the flooded Saline River. Overall it was a Confederate victory as they prevented the North from carrying out their crushing pincer move to end the Red River campaign, but the South missed an opportunity to destroy Steele's army at Jenkin's Ferry - allowing personnel and material to escape.

I'll post some pictures as they become available. Anybody else carry out these military reenactments? I still do more paintball than anything but this is definitely more involved and true to life for the scenario driven mind. 
"Lord, let us feel pity for Private Jenkins, and sorrow for ourselves, and all the angel warriors that fall. Let us fear death, but let it not live within us. Protect us, O Lord, and be merciful unto us. Amen"-from FALLEN ANGELS by Walter Dean Myers

Game ID: ShtGn (Inactive), Squad: 91st BG

Offline HL117

• Nickel Member
      • Aircams
Re: Civil War Reenactment
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 10:51:37 PM »
Always figured it would be a blast , pun inteaded, maybe some day................
Whether you think you can or cannot, you are right!

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 03:24:00 AM »
Dressing up and fire guns, whats that all about :old:

Lets see the pictures please :)
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 04:38:17 AM »
Always something I wanted to do. Used to shoot a little BP with a Mountain man club. Never had time to properly get into that as well.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 09:41:35 AM »
I'd like to participate in a reenactment of some sort some day.  be in US Civil War, American Revolution, etc.  I have much of the kit needed to be a US soldier in WWII, but I'm not sure if that would be as fun.

I'd really like to participate in a reenactment of the Zulu War of 1879 where the "independent fire at will!" order was common.    ;)   
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 10:02:55 AM »
Your all going to die!

The GFC

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 12:19:28 PM »
Reenacting is a very entertaining past time.... I used to do Old West reenactments, but limit myself to the rare SASS event now.

I've been to many Civil War reenactments....

A few photos...

I had a conversation with these boys about where to point their muskets... At my wife and grand daughter was not one of them...

The Yankees milled around smartly... The Confederates... Not so much.

The great thing about being a Confederate.... Any combination of uniform will generally work.

I don't know what that badge is for, but it would make a fine target.

A prisoner... The guy on the left just passed wind. The guy on the right isn't sure who did it. The guy in the middle doesn't care.....

My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 08:51:33 PM »
Your all going to die!

iirc.....

says a pvt: "He's right.  Why us"?

replies a sgt: "Because we're here lad, nobody else."

Zulu was a great movie.  Still is.  Love it.   :aok
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline shotgunneeley

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 10:01:09 PM »

Me holding my trusty Sharps rifle with my sister after the battle. I've got black powder all over my face from biting off the paper cartridges, but surprisingly it didn't taste as bad as I would've thought.

Me being checked by a rebel soldier, according to him I was a "dead blue belly".

Each side had a cannon and those things would rock the world when they went off.

Members portraying the 1st Regiment Kansas Volunteered Infantry (Colored).

My particular unit portrayed the 18th Iowa Volunteer Infantry Regiment.

Finally here are three videos to watch.

http://www.mediafire.com/watch/3n6h9n3qvoicgsp/IMG_0791[1].mov
http://www.mediafire.com/watch/986bxvvj56p5vxz/IMG_0794[1].mov
http://www.mediafire.com/watch/u25frrkr31clx75/IMG_0790[1].mov
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 10:26:37 PM by shotgunneeley »
"Lord, let us feel pity for Private Jenkins, and sorrow for ourselves, and all the angel warriors that fall. Let us fear death, but let it not live within us. Protect us, O Lord, and be merciful unto us. Amen"-from FALLEN ANGELS by Walter Dean Myers

Game ID: ShtGn (Inactive), Squad: 91st BG

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 04:20:49 AM »
That monochrome photo is awesome which one is Slowman :old:

The GFC

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
      • http://www.71sqn.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 11:10:43 AM »
I don't do ACW, But I do Napoleonic period.

Big time for us, it is the becentineries at the moment so lots to do with the big Waterloo 200 next year. Already planning for that one. I portray the famous 95th Rifles (Sharpe anyone?) who were skirmishers and armed with rifles as opposed to muskets.

Great fun and everyone who partakes in reenacting is very friendly and happy to help out! Glad you joined up Shotgun, though that was merely a small skirmish you were in. You should get to Gettysburg for a big one. The one I am going to next week has nearly 1000 reenactors taking part. Rumours abound of Waterloo being up to 5000.

Hope you have been bitten by the bug and join up full time. It will be great fun and you will always learn something!
seeds have been laid...but they arent trees we're growing. we're growing organic grenades!- 321BAR
I'd have a better chance in running into a Dodo Bird in the middle of rush hour, walking down the I-5 with two hookers in tow before I see a useful post from glock89- Ack-Ack

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 04:48:14 PM »
I've never seen one in person, but watched some of a Gettysburg re-enactment on TV.  Looks like a lot of fun.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 06:01:45 PM »
Very nice!

Get rid of the comfy shoes and get you some authentic brogans, though.

http://www.crescentcitysutler.com/footwear-brogans.html

:salute :cheers:

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 07:53:13 PM »
I've always wanted to run one of those things as the "historical" looser on one side or the other. Then when it came time for the reenactment. Alter the tactics and change the "historical" outcome of the battle to where the "historically" loosing side wins  :D
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 07:58:09 PM »
I've always wanted to run one of those things as the "historical" looser on one side or the other. Then when it came time for the reenactment. Alter the tactics and change the "historical" outcome of the battle to where the "historically" loosing side wins  :D

I had a 'shipmate' (squadron-mate?) in the Navy who participated in CWR back in the 80s (he may still). He started out Confederate then switched to Union because the Confederate players usually outnumbered the Union players by a factor of two to one even in the battles where the North outnumbered the South historically. To paraphrase him, 'I got more play time. They'd drag my dead body over a hill and 'resurrect' me. Sometimes twice.'