Author Topic: high power laser pointers should be outlawed, period!  (Read 641 times)

Offline RngFndr

• Nickel Member
Re: high power laser pointers should be outlawed, period!
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 05:36:55 AM »
Guess it's time to stock up on Laser Sights too huh???

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2014, 12:09:27 PM »
Guess it's time to stock up on Laser Sights too huh???
Laser sights are not what is being discussed.

In addition I have not seen any talk of any government proposal to ban any of these.

If you're in the habit of using your laser sight on airliners, light aircraft, helicopters or motorists you ought to reevaluate your actions.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 12:11:13 PM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline rogwar

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2014, 12:58:38 PM »
You have to think they could come up with goggles of some type that would protect the eyes of aviators.

Here you go!

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2014, 09:26:02 PM »
Kids with lasers, pshht, nobody will ever believe that.

Now an alien ship with bright green lights in the middle of nowhere.... :aok

I hate those ships

Offline Skyguns MKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2014, 12:51:48 AM »
just to clarify... i just wanted to mention that the way i made this post has been typed in anger in the moment. just a full disclosure after reading some of these comments.

Offline Skyguns MKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2014, 12:58:35 AM »
Define "high power" please.  How many watts? :headscratch:

this powerful, and i would believe this is a mid grade...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=680xwwEs7Lg

Offline Skyguns MKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2014, 01:14:07 AM »
Is it not helpful at all to have some opaque object something like a magazine, and hold that against the windshield?  Or is scattering from inside the glass still too much of a problem?
Also there's got to be some solution from metamaterials tuned for "invisibility" at some wavelengths.

Really seems like an interesting and very solvable problem.  As far as reporting goes, wouldn't you only need GPS for vehicle position and attitude, and terrain map to crunch numbers from laser surveillance sensors, so you'd have almost automated report of laser origin coordinates to shoot to whoever is on the ground to do something about it?

no magazine would help specially at night. It will illuminate your entire windshield, reflect off any other window/windshield as well as have the whatever light beam not yet dissipated from the first glass surface pass though to whatever is the next glass surface in your car/cabin/cockpit. In short if I'm pointing a laser at your car at the right window. the beam will continue to pass though and hit your left window illuminating everything in its path. Such sensing equipment probably would not be used in private small planes. I would imagine the cost would be too much as well as all the work to install such a system and to calibrate it for a private aircraft owner. Not to mention i would have to believe that its small aircraft owners/pilots that experience this problem the most unfortunately do to there inherently lower altitude ranges. I'm expressing this from a soon to be A & P tech perspective. but hey what do i know. However as for law enforcement i know the do this without such a system from there choppers.   :cheers:

Offline pensley

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2014, 01:41:52 AM »
no magazine would help specially at night. It will illuminate your entire windshield, reflect off any other window/windshield as well as have the whatever light beam not yet dissipated from the first glass surface pass though to whatever is the next glass surface in your car/cabin/cockpit. In short if I'm pointing a laser at your car at the right window. the beam will continue to pass though and hit your left window illuminating everything in its path. Such sensing equipment probably would not be used in private small planes. I would imagine the cost would be too much as well as all the work to install such a system and to calibrate it for a private aircraft owner. Not to mention i would have to believe that its small aircraft owners/pilots that experience this problem the most unfortunately do to there inherently lower altitude ranges. I'm expressing this from a soon to be A & P tech perspective. but hey what do i know. However as for law enforcement i know the do this without such a system from there choppers.   :cheers:

You are quite correct. Any type of device that would be worn or carried to counteract a laser beam would be way too cost prohibitive to buy as a general aviation pilot. Beside, all that will do is cure the symptoms, but not cure the cause. It's wrong and ill advised to point any kind of laser at a vehicle of any kind.
I'd rather be flying!

Offline Skyguns MKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2014, 01:52:33 AM »

You are quite correct. Any type of device that would be worn or carried to counteract a laser beam would be way too cost prohibitive to buy as a general aviation pilot. Beside, all that will do is cure the symptoms, but not cure the cause. It's wrong and ill advised to point any kind of laser at a vehicle of any kind.

much agreed

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2014, 01:27:11 PM »
Well for every idiot we catch 3 are born. The split like amoebas, so somebody better think of something before a 737 goes thru someones front room window due to an idiot with a Laser.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline RngFndr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2014, 03:15:48 PM »
Laser sights are not what is being discussed.

In addition I have not seen any talk of any government proposal to ban any of these.

If you're in the habit of using your laser sight on airliners, light aircraft, helicopters or motorists you ought to reevaluate your actions.

Well, I wouldn't think of pointing any of my lasers at anyone anyway, they are all attached to a weapon..
Never mind an airplane or whatever.. A little too old for that kind of dangerous sillyness..
(provided I don't have a just reason to do so)

But there always seems to be a consistency in narrative to these stories providing pretext for some kind of powertripping idiocy!

So what's next???
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 03:39:02 PM by RngFndr »