Author Topic: P-63 King cobra & the French.  (Read 6544 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Re: P-63 King cobra & the French.
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2014, 12:43:35 PM »
I don't think there is a doubt the P-63 saw combat in the Far East doing ground attack missions, there is just doubt as to whether or not it engaged in A2A combat.

ack-ack

Regardless, it puts the P-63 way, WAY down near the bottom of the priorities list.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2014, 12:41:03 PM »
Why would it deserve a perk price?

Perk price can be about limiting a plane's use, if the plane was very rare.  It's not always about capability, but the higher the capability, the more perks would be required to keep it rare.Not sure if it would need to be perked to be rare. I think many will not like it because of two significant drawbacks:
1) The limited rear view due to the Opaque armor plate behind the pilot which replace the bullet proof glass of the P-39.
2) The gun package is difficult to use effectively.

those two things will keep all but it's fans in something else.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2014, 01:11:20 PM »
Perk price can be about limiting a plane's use, if the plane was very rare.  It's not always about capability, but the higher the capability, the more perks would be required to keep it rare.Not sure if it would need to be perked to be rare. I think many will not like it because of two significant drawbacks:
1) The limited rear view due to the Opaque armor plate behind the pilot which replace the bullet proof glass of the P-39.
2) The gun package is difficult to use effectively.

those two things will keep all but it's fans in something else.  :salute

OK, and thanks for the  :salute, but name one airplane we already have that is perked simply because it was "rare"? Or GV for that matter. They are perked because they are "BEASTS"! in either speed, firepower, or both. I dont even think the P-63 would deserve a 5 eny. Not when you look at its performance and firepower.  :salute
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2014, 02:55:14 PM »
OK, and thanks for the  :salute, but name one airplane we already have that is perked simply because it was "rare"? Or GV for that matter. They are perked because they are "BEASTS"! in either speed, firepower, or both. I dont even think the P-63 would deserve a 5 eny. Not when you look at its performance and firepower.  :salute

Ta-152 is not a beast in my opinion, but it was very rare in the war. A8 is fast on the deck and has one of the best gun packages in the game, not perked.  P-51 is a beast and is not perked, because it served in large numbers. The F4U-C was rare so it's perked. The niki has 4 cannons and turns better but it's not perked because it wasn't as rare.

Just my opinion on why planes are perked. I could be wrong.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2014, 04:18:44 PM »
Ta-152 is not a beast in my opinion, but it was very rare in the war. A8 is fast on the deck and has one of the best gun packages in the game, not perked.  P-51 is a beast and is not perked, because it served in large numbers. The F4U-C was rare so it's perked. The niki has 4 cannons and turns better but it's not perked because it wasn't as rare.

The F4U-C was not perked because it was rare, it was perked when it was introduced in game because it was unbalancing to the game play and that was the only reason.  You can verify that yourself if you ask HiTech.  The reason why the P-51D isn't perked is because it served in large numbers, it's not perked because it does not nor has it ever unbalanced the game play when it was introduced in game. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2014, 05:52:04 PM »
it's not perked because it does not nor has it ever unbalanced the game play when it was introduced in game. 

and also because its plane 1 :)

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2014, 07:04:26 AM »

The F4C was perked due to performance and 4 Hispanos/ammo load. None of the others are perked.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2014, 08:31:33 AM »
The F4U-C was not perked because it was rare, it was perked when it was introduced in game because it was unbalancing to the game play and that was the only reason.  You can verify that yourself if you ask HiTech.  The reason why the P-51D isn't perked is because it served in large numbers, it's not perked because it does not nor has it ever unbalanced the game play when it was introduced in game. 

ack-ack

I remember very early when the F4u1-c was introduced it was the only aircraft flying for that tour, it wasn't fun at all especially when the majority of people flew it, I even quit the game over it and came back few years later because I figured the Main Arena was only going to be F4u-1C's

JG 52

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2014, 09:00:56 AM »
The F4C was perked due to performance and 4 Hispanos/ammo load. None of the others are perked.

That's pretty much why it is and should REMAIN perked. It's not just that it's got four Hispanos. It's that it's a CORSAIR with four Hispanos. That's a series whose only real negatives are climb and acceleration, and the 1A/D/C are middle of the pack and hardly at the bottom there.

Unperk the C-Hog, and guaranteed that's the only Corsair you'd see.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2014, 10:47:33 AM »
"A8 is fast on the deck and has one of the best gun packages in the game, not perked"

More than half of the planes on-line catch the A8 with ease, also the 20mm and 30mm guns have lousy trajectory compared.
Its only asset  is that no plane can dive with it.
Its totally useless 1vs1 dogfights.
At high altitude you solidly get out-turned and outperformed by 4 engined bombers in formation in AH.

Hopefully they perk the A8 very soon -  :lol

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2014, 09:00:03 AM »
"A8 is fast on the deck and has one of the best gun packages in the game, not perked"

More than half of the planes on-line catch the A8 with ease, also the 20mm and 30mm guns have lousy trajectory compared.
Its only asset  is that no plane can dive with it.
Its totally useless 1vs1 dogfights.
At high altitude you solidly get out-turned and outperformed by 4 engined bombers in formation in AH.

Hopefully they perk the A8 very soon -  :lol

You're being goofing, maybe not having read the whole thread. I didn't say perk the A8.  I said that being uber is not the only reason planes are perked. I don't know what else was around when the C-hog was introduce that made everyone fly the C-hog, but the N1Ki is much better Ma fighter and it is not perked. 4 hispanos in a Corsair may have been great at the time. I've flown it, as a fighter it's the worst Corsair in the game. My point was, if 4 cannons make a plane Uber than there are more uber planes in the game than the C-hog.

Not that the A8 should be perked.  :salute

[/quote]
Who is John Galt?

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2014, 09:09:39 AM »
I've flown it, as a fighter it's the worst Corsair in the game

Counterpoint: It's STILL a Corsair.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2014, 09:57:17 PM »
Counterpoint: It's STILL a Corsair.

F4U-4 is perked. Fastest corsair but slower than a 109-K4, Pony, Dora, and at less than 10K it's also slower than La7, P-47N, P-47M
F4U-4 will also be out climbed by every 109 except the E, every Spitfire from the Mark VIII onward, and a Pony D. It's about equal to Dora.
F4U-4 is nothing special in the gun department.

But it's perked.

perhaps there is a reason other than it's Uberness that determines perk cost.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2014, 10:12:16 PM »
F4U-4 is perked. Fastest corsair but slower than a 109-K4, Pony, Dora, and at less than 10K it's also slower than La7, P-47N, P-47M
F4U-4 will also be out climbed by every 109 except the E, every Spitfire from the Mark VIII onward, and a Pony D. It's about equal to Dora.

But it's perked.

perhaps there is a reason other than it's Uberness that determines perk cost.  :salute

I guess you've skipped over every single thread (and there have been many) that's ever explained why the F4U-4 is perked. It's not one thing, it's EVERYTHING.

Offline Xavier

• Copper Member
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2014, 02:34:23 AM »

But it's perked.

You're just comparing it to superior planes stat by stat. And I don't know where you got your numbers. The F4U-4 is faster on the deck than a P-51D, 109K4 and can match La-7 and 190D9.

Why is the Tempest perked? A Bf-109K4 can easily outrun it above 16K, climbs worse than a La-7 and the armament is worse than a mossie's!  :uhoh See? There will always be a better plane in a specifit stat, as Saxman put it it's the whole package that matters.

The F4U-4 is one of the fastest on the deck and little else can outrun it at altitude, climbs well and can carry a lot of rockets, bombs and fuel. This performance envelope is shared by no other aircraft in the whole planeset, not even the Tempest.
Started from the bottom...still at the bottom.