Author Topic: Kindergarten Lessons  (Read 20740 times)

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
Re: Kindergarten Lessons
« Reply #240 on: May 10, 2014, 05:47:41 PM »
I'll respond to that, and then I promise to sthu.

The boards are what they are.  Nothing ever has changed, despite the continuous moderation.
Further to that point... boards have been what they are since the day of the local dial-up BBS's on 2400baud modems over 30 years ago.

Several points from all the posting to sum up what I've read - a lot of stuff has been moderated by hitech, so I'm trying to grasp to what the actual issue is.

1. Several forum members were complaining that the 12 hour time limit to switch was unfair and started protesting publicly by having something about it in their forum signature.  (am I on the mark here hitech?)
2. Some were also quite vocal about their displeasure that HTC wasn't going to change a side switching rule as it's been a best practice for online warsims since..well..forever.
3. This topic thread was started by Skuzzy to explain why they moderated the forum and asked several to edit their signature.
4. Some were vocal on their displeasure of this whole issue? (Hence the forum moderation we see).
5. A few veteran players have left the game over this issue...(I'm guessing on this)

For me, I'm with Gman on this... and some of this is just common sense and business sense. HTC is owned by several private individuals who run the company with the best intentions.  I'm sure Dale didn't go "Gee, lets see how I can pizz off a bunch of players this week...lets see... ok. You. Let me pounce on your head."

Am I missing something here, cause if people don't like rules, then call up Dale, Doug, or Roy and have a conversation about it. Being a Keyboard General isn't going to get your point across.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #241 on: May 10, 2014, 05:53:46 PM »
Further to that point... boards have been what they are since the day of the local dial-up BBS's on 2400baud modems over 30 years ago.

Several points from all the posting to sum up what I've read - a lot of stuff has been moderated by hitech, so I'm trying to grasp to what the actual issue is.

1. Several forum members were complaining that the 12 hour time limit to switch was unfair and started protesting publicly by having something about it in their forum signature.  (am I on the mark here hitech?)
2. Some were also quite vocal about their displeasure that HTC wasn't going to change a side switching rule as it's been a best practice for online warsims since..well..forever.
3. This topic thread was started by Skuzzy to explain why they moderated the forum and asked several to edit their signature.
4. Some were vocal on their displeasure of this whole issue? (Hence the forum moderation we see).
5. A few veteran players have left the game over this issue...(I'm guessing on this)

For me, I'm with Gman on this... and some of this is just common sense and business sense. HTC is owned by several private individuals who run the company with the best intentions.  I'm sure Dale didn't go "Gee, lets see how I can pizz off a bunch of players this week...lets see... ok. You. Let me pounce on your head."

Am I missing something here, cause if people don't like rules, then call up Dale, Doug, or Roy and have a conversation about it. Being a Keyboard General isn't going to get your point across.

I would say so.  People crossed the line, broke the rules and then are surprised that HTC did something about it. Whether or not they knew it was a violation of the rules or not, is irrelevant now. The punishments have been handed out, so why bother having more BBS accounts getting PNG'd, over something that is already over with.

Now everyone knows that doing that/using those images are unacceptable, so learn from someone else's mistake (whether you agree with it or not is a different matter, and convincing someone that they are wrong.. when they are the CEO, is quite pointless when the 'victim' violated the rules, blatant or not).

So pretty much after the sentencing was dealt out, everything else because a mute point. Because no matter how much you kick or scream the punishment was dealt out, so accept it and move on.. and don't make the same mistake that the other person did!

Note: Not talking to you Mister Fork, just copied your quote because I think it is relevant/I agree with it.  :salute

If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #242 on: May 10, 2014, 06:52:55 PM »
I dislike the 12 hour rule, but HTC has made their position very, very clear and that is that.  No use talking about it anymore.  While it very slightly affects my desire to play the game, it is not one of the things that caused me to sharply reduce my play time in AH.  Those were general burnout, which as HiTech has noted many times over the years is something that simply happens with any player of any game and isn't indicative of a failure of the game, and the insistence of a small number of vocal players to insist on pushing their simplistic bumper sticker politics on their fellow players and I simply didn't need to hear what a scummy traitor I was every time I logged in simply because of some minor political differences.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #243 on: May 10, 2014, 10:35:02 PM »
off topic, but this is better than reading a book :salute
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #244 on: May 10, 2014, 10:46:34 PM »
Cos the BBS isn't part of the game you pay to play?  It's just for discussing the game you pay to play.  You don't pay to discuss the game you pay to play and don't have to play the game you wouldn't be paying to play in order to discuss it.  You don't even have to come near this BBS if you just want to play, paying or not. er...

I think I've gone cross eyed....

:O  my eyes are bleeding--but swoop is right--sir play the game ' you don't have to read the bbs, there a lot of cool people in this game in all 3 countries...
don't let what you read on these boards keep you from playing a great game. :salute

C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline kappa

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #245 on: May 10, 2014, 11:48:59 PM »
The facts do support the claims.

Several posts on the 12 hour rule were locked and just as soon as one was locked another was opened only to be locked itself.

Threads were being hijacked with 12 hour rule comments regardless what the thread was about and people with opposing views were, if fact, being ridiculed or their views belittled.

I don't have a dog in this hunt as I could care less what the time switch rule is but I'm not stupid enough not to see that there was an organized campaign intended to get HT to cave on the issue.

I didn't see the avatars but that's just a subtle means of pushing the envelope to continue the campaign.  "Who?  Me?  I didn't do anything wrong." while the chocolate from the cookies is smeared across your face.

Kindergarten indeed.

When you post:

"What I saw recently on the BB's was the Internet equivalent of mob rules mentality.  If the mob didn't expect the authorities to step in to restore peace and order they were severley mistaken.  Some who were belittled by the mob will inevitably leave the game as will some of the mob who felt their right to protest was violated."

I do not agree with your facts as you see them.. Maybe you can post an example? Unless you feel HTC felt belittled by the mob. Which would be strange..
- TWBYDHAS

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #246 on: May 11, 2014, 01:26:08 AM »
RAM..Towd.  I remember Torque driving Towd to the point of insanity, or past it.

Ram - remember all that about his sisters?  That and the 190s "ripping wings" too often for him - those were the days.

My fav from RAM:  "You are a stupido peoples"
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #247 on: May 11, 2014, 08:16:28 AM »
I dislike the 12 hour rule, but HTC has made their position very, very clear and that is that.  No use talking about it anymore.  While it very slightly affects my desire to play the game, it is not one of the things that caused me to sharply reduce my play time in AH.

+1   
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Nath[BDP]

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #248 on: May 11, 2014, 10:28:14 AM »
RAM..Towd.  I remember Torque driving Towd to the point of insanity, or past it.

Ram - remember all that about his sisters?  That and the 190s "ripping wings" too often for him - those were the days.

LOL, yes they were the days!  So many hardcore Luftwheenies back then, hristo, fishu, and the whole 9./JG 54 crew.  StSanta was a classy guy. 

back when Leviathn was "Calamari" and we flew Tiffies around, before they nerfed the roll rate.  I remember the first night we winged up together in what would become a perfect duo.

Animal and Glasses trolling the arena.

Early AH arena combat was just a perfect combination of a arena size, tight player base, and flight modeling.  I remember when the 190A8 could hold its own on the deck against most anything.  Seemed easier to capitalize on overshoots  back then, planes bled E faster.  I kinda liked that (not that it was more accurate).

++Blue Knights++
vocalist of the year

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #249 on: May 11, 2014, 11:44:45 AM »
LOL, yes they were the days!  So many hardcore Luftwheenies back then, hristo, fishu, and the whole 9./JG 54 crew.  StSanta was a classy guy. 

back when Leviathn was "Calamari" and we flew Tiffies around, before they nerfed the roll rate.  I remember the first night we winged up together in what would become a perfect duo.

Animal and Glasses trolling the arena.

Early AH arena combat was just a perfect combination of a arena size, tight player base, and flight modeling.  I remember when the 190A8 could hold its own on the deck against most anything.  Seemed easier to capitalize on overshoots  back then, planes bled E faster.  I kinda liked that (not that it was more accurate).

Tiffies with a proper roll rate, sounds almost erotic :old:
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #250 on: May 11, 2014, 11:50:19 AM »
Please stay on topic.

Offline TheForce

• Zinc Member
« Reply #251 on: May 11, 2014, 02:06:47 PM »
See rule #2
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 02:13:57 PM by hitech »

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #252 on: May 11, 2014, 06:24:31 PM »
See rule 2
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 07:22:22 PM by hitech »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #253 on: May 11, 2014, 06:30:30 PM »
See rule _2
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 07:22:57 PM by hitech »
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #254 on: May 11, 2014, 08:15:25 PM »
See rule 2

How so?   I was responding to a comment and you didn't Rule 2 that.    :noid
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -