Still think 400 is better :p
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
Re: 30mm
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2014, 10:52:32 PM »
I've set it to 350, had good success with it yesterday, made some pretty good shots.  :banana:

The today I logged on, upped meh K4, and I was utter poo once again. :old:  :bhead

I'm  good enough a pilot  to get into a decent position for a shot at least once most fight, but I always end up moving around with rudder too much at the last second and there is lack of steadiness for a hit. That or the lead problem comes to play again. As I'm supposed to, I fire in short 2-3 bullet burst in the K4 and most times their all rounds with no tracers. And because of this I have a lack of knowledge of where to usually aim.
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2014, 12:11:51 AM »
By setting the convergence at 275 yards -as i do-, and the MGs at 300 yards, i manage to land 80%+ ammo on a target.

Really?  Then why's your fighter hit% typically between 5.5%-7.5%?
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Lucifer

• Probation 9/1/2017
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2014, 05:42:07 AM »
Use my Conv, dont shoot utill under 200y and u'll see u cant miss such a close tgt !

If possible, come from under with speed, cut engine at 1200y and enjoy the fireworks ! :rock

I've set it to 350, had good success with it yesterday, made some pretty good shots.  :banana:

The today I logged on, upped meh K4, and I was utter poo once again. :old:  :bhead

I'm  good enough a pilot  to get into a decent position for a shot at least once most fight, but I always end up moving around with rudder too much at the last second and there is lack of steadiness for a hit. That or the lead problem comes to play again. As I'm supposed to, I fire in short 2-3 bullet burst in the K4 and most times their all rounds with no tracers. And because of this I have a lack of knowledge of where to usually aim.

" Army Of Wolves "

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2014, 07:33:06 AM »
Use my Conv, dont shoot utill under 200y and u'll see u cant miss such a close tgt !

If possible, come from under with speed, cut engine at 1200y and enjoy the fireworks ! :rock

I'm gonna have to stick to 350, I've better success with that convergence compared to when I try others. And the problem for me is not dead six attacks…but rather the short opportunities to fire during fights involving complex ACM's.
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline Lucifer

• Probation 9/1/2017
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2014, 08:09:48 AM »
.Target, training arena (center area of the target).

Ty for ur post, i guess u could help... :huh

Really?  Then why's your fighter hit% typically between 5.5%-7.5%?

" Army Of Wolves "

Offline projoe

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2014, 12:46:24 AM »
Think the best response ive ever seen was...."watch where they are gonna fly...and aim half a sector in front of them...then take the shot, works everytime"!
Projoe 367th Dynamite Gang

Spread my work ethic
Not my wealth!

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2014, 08:51:28 AM »
.Target, training arena (center area of the target).

Ty for ur post, i guess u could help... :huh

I think the point is if people can't believe what you say about your hit percentage (which is easy to check) why would people believe what you say about anything else you might post?

It's your reputation, build it as you want.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2014, 12:40:10 PM »
The today I logged on, upped meh K4, and I was utter poo once again.

The K4 is such a torque BEAST even auto trim doesnt level it out well for me, tater shooting-wise. Im starting to use manual trim exclusively for this BEAST! It tend to fight you even on auto-trim so Im going to manually trim and see if my taters become more accurate. You really have to be trim for accurate shooting.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2014, 01:37:41 PM »
Rich, try setting a hotas button to "auto trim on/off toggle" when flying the K4.  I have the elevator and aileron trim on a hat, the rudder on another.  I don't really need anything but the elevator trim and the "auto trim on/off" while fighting in the K4.  I agree, once Wep is on, having auto trim on isn't the best option, so as soon as I get into a fight, I just hit the auto trim off toggle button, and the only thing I really need at most speeds is the elevator trim, and even that is infrequent enough.  When I need to, even in a fight, I can flick auto trim back on for an instant, it'll trim me out for whatever speed I'm now at, then flick it off just as quickly again, so to not have it mess up any shots I may have to take with the 30mm.

That's how I was shown to do it by Fester, and it's always worked well for me.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2014, 01:51:52 PM »
Edit. Misread Gman. He's talking about Combat Trim.  :D
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 02:54:46 PM by FLS »

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2014, 02:41:14 PM »
30mm is the knuckleball of ACM. It's slow, it wobbles, and it's deadly if it's in the strike zone.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2014, 03:01:21 PM »
One thing with the Mk108 has kinda been touched on but I haven't seen it spelled out yet, is to unload the airframe for the shot.  Think of it as timing a rifle shot. you're not swinging with the target but placing your barrel in the line of the target and timing the shot to coincide when the target passes.  In other words fly in lead persuit for your shot and , roll your aircraft where where your target will cross from your wingtip to wingtip (largest field of view on a K4), unload the airframe and take your shot as the target passes.  Having your forward cockpit view as far back as possible helps in timing the shot as well, as you have a larger sight picture. 

I agree with the others, in that concentrate on the Mk 108 alone at first, practice in the TA or offline by emptying all the MG's on the runway and run the 30mm alone until you start to get the proper sight picture.

:salute
BigRat
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2014, 03:23:07 PM »
Grizz wrote a great thread once upon a time with pictures as well, saying precisely that Big Rat, and it's what I've always used since the days of the G10/G6 30mm.  You want to set up shots just like BR said, with the target passing in front of you, preferably with his wings full profile so the largest possible target is available, but that's not always possible.  Either way unloading, or even just slightly positive G will improve your shooting with it.

Grizz also wrote how to use the torque of the K4 to simplify getting into the position of using the 30mm, and getting those perfect crossing/tracking shot solutions.  I'll try and find it.

Edit - found it after a few mins of screwing around.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,280043.0.html

This thread, by far and away, will help anyone using the 30mm, if you apply what's there.  Take note of what I mentioned about a little positive G at the "unload" phase, I remembered it from learning it from Grizz in this thread, and it gives you a huge advantage in making little adjustments as needed for lining up the shot.  Take note of Mace saying this is almost precisely how he taught setting up crossing/gun shots at Topgun.  Higher praise can't be given IMO, as I said, Grizz did an excellent job on this post about 5 years ago now.  Seems like yesterday when I first read it.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 03:34:06 PM by Gman »