Author Topic: 30mm  (Read 3390 times)

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
Re: 30mm
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2014, 03:29:22 PM »
Grizz wrote a great thread once upon a time with pictures as well, saying precisely that Big Rat, and it's what I've always used since the days of the G10/G6 30mm.  You want to set up shots just like BR said, with the target passing in front of you, preferably with his wings full profile so the largest possible target is available, but that's not always possible.  Either way unloading, or even just slightly positive G will improve your shooting with it.

Grizz also wrote how to use the torque of the K4 to simplify getting into the position of using the 30mm, and getting those perfect crossing/tracking shot solutions.  I'll try and find it.

Gman,

I learned a lot of that from watching Grizz's videos actually.  Not that I'm a great shot with the MK 108, but those videos deffinitly helped me out a lot.

:salute
BigRat
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2014, 04:39:25 AM »
Yeah I do have combat trim mapped. I also have manual trim for elevator mapped on a wheel to make it easy to trim myself. The the K4 is the only fighter i actually really need it for.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2014, 07:31:38 AM »
You're probably doing everything "right" then already.  Like I've said, if you're not already doing it the way Grizz describes, or at least trying as often as you can to set up shots that way from the link, give it a whirl - I found it works well with almost any guns, but particularly with the 30mm. 

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2014, 11:01:57 PM »
Grizz wrote a great thread once upon a time with pictures as well, saying precisely that Big Rat, and it's what I've always used since the days of the G10/G6 30mm.  You want to set up shots just like BR said, with the target passing in front of you, preferably with his wings full profile so the largest possible target is available, but that's not always possible.  Either way unloading, or even just slightly positive G will improve your shooting with it.

Grizz also wrote how to use the torque of the K4 to simplify getting into the position of using the 30mm, and getting those perfect crossing/tracking shot solutions.  I'll try and find it.

Edit - found it after a few mins of screwing around.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,280043.0.html

This thread, by far and away, will help anyone using the 30mm, if you apply what's there.  Take note of what I mentioned about a little positive G at the "unload" phase, I remembered it from learning it from Grizz in this thread, and it gives you a huge advantage in making little adjustments as needed for lining up the shot.  Take note of Mace saying this is almost precisely how he taught setting up crossing/gun shots at Topgun.  Higher praise can't be given IMO, as I said, Grizz did an excellent job on this post about 5 years ago now.  Seems like yesterday when I first read it.

Thanks a lot for the link :)

:salute
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline Lucifer

• Probation 9/1/2017
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2014, 10:28:29 AM »
When i write "DOT TARGET in TRAINING area", there is a (slight) possibility im talking about the circle u can spawn at specific degrees to test your weapons convergence.

I never said i landed 80% of my hits on an enemy flying plane.

What bothers me here is that some people can't help posting messages to ennoy others (this one was nicely sneaky), even in a damn training/help channel.

And for my reputation, i need no internet forums vigilante for it : believe me, my "@-reputation", i dont give a **** about it : i know who i am and
i don't care to know what others may think about this "reputation".

But Thank you, have a nice @-day !  :aok

I think the point is if people can't believe what you say about your hit percentage (which is easy to check) why would people believe what you say about anything else you might post?

It's your reputation, build it as you want.

" Army Of Wolves "

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2014, 10:56:49 AM »
Sorry bud, just trying to help, but if you don't care, I certainly don't either.

Have a nice day.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2014, 02:52:49 PM »

By setting the convergence at 275 yards -as i do-, and the MGs at 300 yards, i manage to land 80%+ ammo on a target.

:uhoh
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2014, 03:05:17 PM »
Lucifer, I wouldn't take that very personally if I were you, Fugitive is the least vindictive person I've met on this BBS.  Cartoons and all. 

I think the issue may be more that you may be getting 80% success in terms of killing your targets, or winning fights, but nobody in this game can honestly land 80 percent of their ammunition on target when fighting other planes.  That's virtually impossible.  That's all that was being pointed out I think.

Offline Lucifer

• Probation 9/1/2017
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2014, 06:17:38 PM »
.target= dot target in training area= a static target you can spawn by typing ".target + range",
which allows u to see where you r ammo lands at different convergences. :pray

Lucifer, I wouldn't take that very personally if I were you, Fugitive is the least vindictive person I've met on this BBS.  Cartoons and all. 

I think the issue may be more that you may be getting 80% success in terms of killing your targets, or winning fights, but nobody in this game can honestly land 80 percent of their ammunition on target when fighting other planes.  That's virtually impossible.  That's all that was being pointed out I think.

" Army Of Wolves "

Offline Lucifer

• Probation 9/1/2017
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2014, 06:18:21 PM »
Wasn't aimed at u.

S!

Sorry bud, just trying to help, but if you don't care, I certainly don't either.

Have a nice day.

" Army Of Wolves "

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2014, 10:41:15 PM »
Wasn't aimed at u.

S!

No, it was me.

Here's the part of your quote that grabbed my attention:

By setting the convergence at 275 yards -as i do-, and the MGs at 300 yards, i manage to land 80%+ ammo on a target.

It wasn't clear at all that you were saying 80% on a static target in the TA which is why I questioned it.

There's no need to get defensive.  I simply asked a question and all you had to do was explain (or not).
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline McShark

• Nickel Member
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2014, 05:32:13 AM »
Lag times and arena population is one of the biggest issues in my opinion.

As I fly EU timezone, there are days when I fly between 5 and 9 pm, I hit quite well with the 30 mm. Yet, after 10 pm, or,  when arena tops about 200 people, the issues start stacking up.
Strange enough, as soon as arenas top about 300 it feels getting better?!  :uhoh But that is my personal view.

Not only in a dogfight but also versus Lancasters or any other form of 4 engine buff.
When I see 3 to 5 big splashes on a rudder of a Lancaster or below the cockpit I expect some damage.

When I want to send film to Skuzzy, is it okay I have watched it first or does it render the film useless?  :headscratch:

Most important things to me regarding the 30 mm:

I. Try not to fire simultaniously 30 mm / 12.7 mm, except on bombers
II. Learn the grizz way. It just works.
III. Analyse your shooting on film, very slow motion, check the range when you open fire. Does it fit with your convergence?
IV. Tracers off. To me it works as you try to learn the gun and the plane and don't do erratic stuff because you see your tracers all over the place.
V. Stick with the gun!!! One day in WW I arena and my 30 mm aim ( if I have any ) is absent for 2 weeks. A day in a Dora cost me a week. It's that bad....... :lol
VI. Unload your plane! Let the engine do the work to pull the lead you need.
VII. Be patient and get close. Really close. When you take damage due to your own round exploding is just about right. I like to get within 200 yds or less, preferably at speeds that allow flaps.

Carry on.

The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence. -Charles Bukowski
Gleams the blade,Shines my Honor
Tour 19 - 163 McShark
Tour 163 -      Barkhorn

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2014, 06:44:08 AM »
Lag times have no impact on your ability to hit anyone.  It does impact the amount of time it might take for that remote player to appear to die.

As long as you are sending the native film (.ahf file) and you have not tampered with it (cut it up), then it will contain the information we need to debug it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline McShark

• Nickel Member
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2014, 09:25:53 AM »
Thanks Skuzzy, will send the film.

The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence. -Charles Bukowski
Gleams the blade,Shines my Honor
Tour 19 - 163 McShark
Tour 163 -      Barkhorn

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2014, 10:54:24 AM »
I was flying last night for a bit and also forgot to mention, if you typically aim high and/or over lead targets, set 350 convergence. If you aim on average low and tend to shoot under planes or not lead enough use 400. I use the latter because I shoot low and it helps boost the bullet a lil higher.

It really is all about timing and using angles to get your nose in the position to shoot where they are about to fly.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion