Author Topic: Unlock/Achievement Arena  (Read 607 times)

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Unlock/Achievement Arena
« on: May 10, 2014, 05:14:19 PM »
Shooting from the hip here.

Take the idea of Early War Arena, Mid War Arena and Late War Arena and roll them into 1 arena.

The Terrain would have 3 separate zones Early, Mid and Late that are separated by a considerable distance to discourage flight between the areas.

Instead of perks use for individual sorties, perks would be used to unlock different aircraft in each zone. Perks could be spread over the three zones so you could fight in the early zone and gain enough perks to unlock an aircraft on the late war zone or vice versa. Every aircraft would have to be unlocked except for the initial opening set, Hurri I, I-16, Bf 109E4, etc.

Each zone would be capable of resetting the arena, so the fight could hinge on any of the zones.

Just an idea, maybe it has been proposed before, but things like these usually pop into my head every now and then.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Re: Unlock/Achievement Arena
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 02:06:51 AM »
Nef that is a genius idea.   Sounds alot like WT but people would have to actually EARN those unlocks by fighting contemporary aircraft.  

Maybe add in air spawns to the early area of the arena so new guys get to the action quicker.

You would get the odd idiot flying mid / late war planes into the other areas but if they are sad enough to do that they shouldn't be difficult to kill.  

The difficult part would be existing subscribers being put off by not being able to play with their "favourite" rides.   It would however go a long way in improving the general skill level because you would have to master the basics of good flying to get enough perks to unlock the faster planes.    
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 03:20:58 AM »
Very interesting idea.

My first thought regards the dedicated gv'rs, I'd think the early gv lineup would have to be greatly expanded to get them to participate and keep the fight going to preserve the map. That could be a great thing, but that would also be a lot of gvs to add.

I think this has a lot of potential though,  :aok
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 04:43:09 AM »
The issue I can foresee with this model is simply that the best players would rapidly find themselves in Spit 16's, LA7's, late war 109's and jets.

The worst players (like me) would end up pootling around in a Hurri 1 getting mullered by guys flying the now uber rides.

Also you may well get an increase in dull and boring behaviour, instigated by a score dependent playing style e.g more camping, more alt monkeys.

Coupled with the fact that a single arena would end up with everyone bar about 10 guys flying late war, no different than happens now.

Not being disparaging, it's really not a bad idea until it meets the playerbase.
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 09:40:56 AM »
The issue I can foresee with this model is simply that the best players would rapidly find themselves in Spit 16's, LA7's, late war 109's and jets.

The worst players (like me) would end up pootling around in a Hurri 1 getting mullered by guys flying the now uber rides.

Also you may well get an increase in dull and boring behaviour, instigated by a score dependent playing style e.g more camping, more alt monkeys.

Coupled with the fact that a single arena would end up with everyone bar about 10 guys flying late war, no different than happens now.

Not being disparaging, it's really not a bad idea until it meets the playerbase.

As I mentioned, the areas would be separated by a considerable distance or terrain (mountains). Also, this would not be replacing an arena at least not the Late War, Open it up as an experiment, see how it works. Tweak it as needed.

There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 09:09:58 PM »
I would get  a jet and come shoot your arse down, Nef  :aok
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 04:16:52 PM »
after seeing snailman's charts over the years regarding the "average" player's skill level.. I think you'd lose a ton of players if they had to "earn" planes.
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 04:38:45 PM »
after seeing snailman's charts over the years regarding the "average" player's skill level.. I think you'd lose a ton of players if they had to "earn" planes.

There would still be other Arenas, like LW that would keep the same format as it does now.

Sounds like people are interested in changes to the game play, perhaps a new twist is what is needed? I will admit, I do not fly in the MA, interest for me dropped a long time ago. I only fly SEA, primarily FSO.