Author Topic: Aces High Gunnery Films (Prologue)  (Read 1324 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Aces High Gunnery Films (Prologue)
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2014, 07:59:25 PM »
I see Skuzzy's new Ban Hammer is doing it's job.

It's faster to create the tables than the pretty pictures. You have enough pretty pictures for anyone actually interested in the subject and motivated by that, to carry on with their own pretty pictures. Anything else might become Hammer fodder instead of simple information.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2014, 03:05:35 PM »
Skuzzy and his ban hammer :lol

Tinkles if you'd like me to help with any filming just give me a shout.  :salute
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2014, 11:58:51 AM »
   But, in Hitech's world it's 1unit@1000unit for everything       

I've been trying to relearn my gunnery since the strokes, what is the unit you are
referring to in the above quote?
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2014, 12:36:05 PM »
Army real world 1 degree = 17.8Mil or 6400Mils in 360 degrees
Optical real world 1 degree = 17.4 Mil or 6283 Mils in 360 degrees
Russian is 6000Mils in 360 degrees.
Sweden is 6300Mils in 360 degrees.

1Mil at 1000ft = 1ft
1Mil at 1000yd = 1yd
1Mil at 1000m = 1m

If I remember it correctly.

In WW2 Mil was the common measurement language to describe deflection as a function of lead as viewed at range through a collimating optical gunsight with a 100Mil calibrated reticle. All of our different cannon shoot their round to 1000ft over a different sub 1second time span. During that time your target at any given speed will travel a predictable distance which can be measured in Mils at range. So having a rule of thumb lead holdoff reference point for the expected general speeds you will run into during combat becomes a necessary tool. Other wise you can spend years in this game shooting by trial and error maybe remembering what worked over time.

One of the earliest rule of thumb I remember hearing in this game over a decade ago, lead with the windscreen bars. An interesting real world lead principle that works in this game. A con traveling at 45-90 degrees to your line of travel at a speed, from 100ft to 1000ft at that same speed, your hold off lead will effectively remain the same from the perspective of your gunsight. 
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2014, 08:23:55 AM »
I remembered I have Shaw's Fighter Combat.
If I understand it correctly, the rings are an attempt to negate the
effects of the distance of a pilots eyes to the gun sight.
Is this correct?
Ram

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2014, 12:02:55 PM »
If you mean the reticle ring, it was a quick ruler to determine range by the relationship of the con to the diameter or radius of the ring. And it was a quick gauge to determine hold over lead allowance based on your ability to judge your con's speed. And it was a bullet drop gauge for shots longer than 2000ft. And a bomb aimpoint and rocket aimpoint aid.

Here is a link to my Historic Gunsight Package. It has every major gunsight used by most of the countries in WW2. It also has a folder with WW2 gunnery manuals. The gunsights are calibrated to the Aces High 1Mil = 2 pixels. You can actualy use them to do everything up to a point from the gunnery manuals. Hitech's physics is very well programed.

Read the readme's so you will know which gunsights went with which plane. And that each gunsight.bmp has a control file named gunsight.mil which has to be copied with the gunsight.bmp to the sights folder. Or you will get one wee tiny gunsight showing up when you spawn on the runway.

http://www55.zippyshare.com/v/63472571/file.html   
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2014, 03:04:04 PM »
Thanx bustr...it will help
me a lot <S>
Ram

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2014, 03:27:39 PM »
I remembered I have Shaw's Fighter Combat.
If I understand it correctly, the rings are an attempt to negate the
effects of the distance of a pilots eyes to the gun sight.
Is this correct?
Ram

Yes. That's why the reticule stays the same size as you move your head forward and back. Otherwise your "gauge" would be changing size.