Author Topic: Aces High Gunnery Films (Prologue)  (Read 1323 times)

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
Aces High Gunnery Films (Prologue)
« on: May 11, 2014, 06:00:49 PM »
I've seen a handful of topics where someone has asked for help on gunnery tips. Most common two are the 30mm and the 50 cal (which is normally followed by a new post in the wishlist forum for increased 50cal damage).  Since I can't fly online until I get my new rig, I wanted to make a few gunnery films just flying offline shooting at drones.

When I get my new rig, and the new terrain engine comes out. I will give a 3-5 minute gunnery film on each and every fighter in the game. Giving convergence details, gunsight details (and if I use a specific one a link to download it), and the download link for each film. If the gunsight I used in the film isn't in the default gunsights, then I will post a link of that gunsight as well by the related film. When that happens, I hope that Skuzzy stickies it .  :D

In the mean time, here is a 'rough draft/prologue' of what I plan to do.

109-K4
Convergence 250
Gunsight Revi 16

http://www.mediafire.com/download/2k4ywshbsjwdb3d/109K4_Gunnery_-_Tinkles.ahf

F4U1A
Convergence 275
Gunsight Default

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8aa6vn7zlynr31o/F4U1A_Gunnery_-_Tinkles.ahf

P38G
Convergence 650
Gunsight Default

http://www.mediafire.com/download/y25tltno5o64vx5/P38G_Gunnery_-_Tinkles.ahf

P51-D
Convergence 300
Gunsight Default

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ada4at6ia1ds7q0/P51D_Gunnery_-_Tinkles.ahf

If you guys have any requests in the mean time, I will be more than happy to do it for ya.  :aok  Gotta do something while I want for my new rig.  :cool:

:cheers:

If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
Re: Aces High Gunnery Films (Prologue)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 01:16:21 PM »
Is this a good idea?   Since p51, p47 fm2 etc are all 50 cal, wouldn't it be better to just do the caliber or weapon type?
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 09:07:39 PM »
Gunnery on the drones isn't the same as with the online play. Droves fly about half the speed and don't maneuver much. Figuring the lead in the TA, or off line against the drones is easy, just turn on the lead computing site.

OTOH, if your having fun doing them, keep at it!  :D

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 10:56:52 PM »
A basic demonstration video might still help, but maybe you could get a buddy to go at you in the DA, so you can film the sorties and show what high speed shooting is like.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 12:53:12 PM »
Fair enough, guess I'll wait til I get my new rig in a few weeks.  :cheers:

Thanks for the responses.
HiTech

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 08:55:24 PM »
Gunnery on the drones isn't the same as with the online play. Droves fly about half the speed and don't maneuver much. Figuring the lead in the TA, or off line against the drones is easy, just turn on the lead computing site.

OTOH, if your having fun doing them, keep at it!  :D

It doesn't really matter.

His Mk8 gunsight is 100Mil. I used Hitech's 1Mil = 2pixel format when I constructed the Mk8 you see in Tinkle's film. So just like real world pilots, you are on the hook for estimating your target's speed if they are traveling 60-90 degrees across your front and you want to take a snap shot. Anything else and you are in some variation of a tail chase pulling 2G or less. You will have generally synced your speeds while deflection will be more of your worry if you haven't exceeded 2G in your turn.

Remember the definition for the 100mph gunsight ring? 50Mil equals the distance traveled right to left by your target at 100mph 1000ft in front of you.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 09:05:18 PM »
But thats what I mean. Practice is about building a library of site pictures. If your site pictures are all based on 200 mph your going to be shooting behind everything.

Now if he did a video explaining how your sites work and how to figure the speeds and such then using the 200 drones wouldn't be a problem.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 09:47:23 PM »
Fugi,

If you cannot load up one of those gunsights knowing the 50Mil radius = 100mph left to right at 333yards. Then extrapolate up 300-350 mph. Or down 200-250mph. And you have the LCG offline gunnery aid........

A film will not tell you anything more than that screen capture I modified. Pilots read the manuals, listened to lectures, then shot at drones with a 70Mil ring, towed along at, Oh my gosh...200-250mph stateside. Then spent less than an hour shooting in a P40 with a 100Mil ring at the same 200-250mph towed target. Then at their duty station, the CO told them with the 100Mil ring to increase their lead to 3-31\2 radius and not shoot until inside of 300.

The only way to get what you really want, is to wish list Hitech to change how fast and what patterns the drones fly offline. In essence, that's what your combat duty station did to you and the enemy shot back. Like going into the MA after practicing offline.

Offline because the drones are slower than average MA combat speeds, you hold longer in near 2G turns for a perfect sight picture. In the MA many miss shooting the same sight picture from offline because they run into 2G faster and either were not aware of it or never saddled up soon enough to have a "shot window" before 2G in the turn. And then there is the whole other world of shooting with inline mounted guns.

Honestly this is why gyroscopic lead sights were being developed by all sides at the end of the war. And why Germany and Russia taught 200m as the longest range for fighter to fighter shooting. No matter how many classes, hours of target shooting and time in combat, roughly about 39% could hit anything in air to air combat because they had a natural ability to start with. Or as the AAF found from gun cam review, they shot sub 400yds.

Did you even download my latest gunsight pack to peek at the gunnery manuals Fugi?  Tinkles didn't do anyone a favor by turning off the range icon for the Drones.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 10:21:11 PM »
Fugi,

If you cannot load up one of those gunsights knowing the 50Mil radius = 100mph left to right at 333yards. Then extrapolate up 300-350 mph. Or down 200-250mph. And you have the LCG offline gunnery aid........

A film will not tell you anything more than that screen capture I modified. Pilots read the manuals, listened to lectures, then shot at drones with a 70Mil ring, towed along at, Oh my gosh...200-250mph stateside. Then spent less than an hour shooting in a P40 with a 100Mil ring at the same 200-250mph towed target. Then at their duty station, the CO told them with the 100Mil ring to increase their lead to 3-31\2 radius and not shoot until inside of 300.

The only way to get what you really want, is to wish list Hitech to change how fast and what patterns the drones fly offline. In essence, that's what your combat duty station did to you and the enemy shot back. Like going into the MA after practicing offline.

Offline because the drones are slower than average MA combat speeds, you hold longer in near 2G turns for a perfect sight picture. In the MA many miss shooting the same sight picture from offline because they run into 2G faster and either were not aware of it or never saddled up soon enough to have a "shot window" before 2G in the turn. And then there is the whole other world of shooting with inline mounted guns.

Honestly this is why gyroscopic lead sights were being developed by all sides at the end of the war. And why Germany and Russia taught 200m as the longest range for fighter to fighter shooting. No matter how many classes, hours of target shooting and time in combat, roughly about 39% could hit anything in air to air combat because they had a natural ability to start with. Or as the AAF found from gun cam review, they shot sub 400yds.

Did you even download my latest gunsight pack to peek at the gunnery manuals Fugi?  Tinkles didn't do anyone a favor by turning off the range icon for the Drones.

You can turn icons on in the film viewer.  Whether or not it turns on the range icon (or if they are the same thing) I am unsure of.  :noid

I don't mind re-doing the films, I enjoy flying those planes.  :D But if I did something wrong, or you think I should add/change something, then please do tell, I want these films to be helpful to newbies, not confusing or misleading.

HiTech

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 11:47:00 PM »
Or,

Put one of these 100Mil gunsights in your ride. Screen shot the default forward view. Zoom in a little. Then in an art program draw large rings. One extra for every 100mph or 50Mil. Sudenly you have your 300mph hold off picture for our game. Oh since the MK108 mm round is a 500m\sec round, your 100mph radii is really 60Mil. so you need to use a 120Mil base ring and work out by 60Mil radii. Don't you remember over the years being told to lead with the windscreen bars as your lead holdoff?

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 06:34:59 AM »
All well and good for the 50cals bustr.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 03:31:52 PM »
Fugi,

This is great.....in the real world. We PLAY in a computer world where things are done a bit differently. I'd be willing to bet that 70% of the players playing have no clue what all this stuff means or how to use it. I have worked with you, and read everything posted about it and I STILL have trouble wrapping my head around "mils" and "radii" and how they relate to each other.

In the game most people learn lead by repetition. I the real world it took weeks to get a few hours of gunnery practice in. In the game it takes a few hours to get a few hours of practice in. Practicing at 200 mph targets isn't going to help as much as practicing against 400 mph targets. And seeing as the 400 mph targets are just as available why wouldn't you practice against the "real thing"?

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 05:34:30 PM »
This is great.....in the real world. We PLAY in a computer world where things are done a bit differently. I'd be willing to bet that 70% of the players playing have no clue what all this stuff means or how to use it. I have worked with you, and read everything posted about it and I STILL have trouble wrapping my head around "mils" and "radii" and how they relate to each other.

In the game most people learn lead by repetition. I the real world it took weeks to get a few hours of gunnery practice in. In the game it takes a few hours to get a few hours of practice in. Practicing at 200 mph targets isn't going to help as much as practicing against 400 mph targets. And seeing as the 400 mph targets are just as available why wouldn't you practice against the "real thing"?

When I make the actual AHGF post, I probably will use recorded 'footage' of me online. However, since I am 'grounded' until I get my rig, I wanted to show this to the BBS and see if it would be used.  Looking at how many times my films have been downloaded, I'd say it might be worthwhile.  :aok

I do understand where you are coming from though, in both using drones and 'real targets'.  As for the mil and radii, yeah, I never learned or memorized the gunsight. I memorized the trajectory of each round at the convergences I'm good at. Then, by shooting at different angles, I learned how far to lead, and to estimate my targets speed. Based on my targets speed I would determine how far to lead. Which is why I am very good in the 88 and 5" guns.

In my opinion, 50cals are by far the easiest caliber round in the game to aim.
HiTech

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 05:55:28 PM »

Dolby,

If your fingers aren't broken, and your computer has a calculator and an art program. Or the internet will tell you what division of 1 second 500m\sec and 720m\sec is if you and your calculator are not on speaking terms. Then update my picture or one from the K4 or 190 with slightly larger rings. I'll give you a starting place. And I believe where we and the Commonwealth used 1\6400 Mil units in WW2, the German optics was in Mrad, the Russians used 1\6000 as their Mil unit. Finland and Sweden used 1\6300. But, in Hitech's world it's 1unit@1000unit for everything. Hitech Unit of Mil (HUM).

AN\M2.50 cal and Hs404 20mm both reach 1000ft in .35sec+-. So 100Mil, 101Mil and 105Mil rings all are 100mph rings. 

500m\sec = .60sec 100mph ring = 176Mil, Radius = 88Mil. MK108 30mm<--aiming outside the windscreen bars for snapshots.
610m\sec = .49sec 100mph ring = 144Mil, Radius = 72Mil. M4 37mm
720m\sec = .42sec 100mph ring = 124Mil, Radius = 62Mil. MG151/20 20mm<--why so many missed snapshots in FW and 109.

850m\sec = .35sec 100mph ring = 102Mil, Radius = 52Mil. AN\M2 50. M8 API<--Why spits rule for snap shots and
880m\sec = .34sec 100mph ring = 99.96Mil, Radi = 49.98Mil. Hs404 20mm<-----new player gunnery.

The 100mph main ring in WW2 was the standard across all of the combatants. It also describes the reality of WW2 air combat in real world physics. Opposed to how we play air Quake shooting from convoluted positions never dreamed of in WW2. If Germany had designed the MK108 for shooting at spitfires and other small fast maneuvering fighters with it's slow 500m\sec initial velocity. They would have moved the Revi gunsight to the center of the windscreen and projected a 175Mil ring and cross onto the wind screen. In the screen capture of the F4u, the largest blue ring is only 150Mil.

MG
Type97.7.7mm..750m/s...Bullet=13.2g
Brit.303......762m/s...Bullet=11.3g
MG17 7.92.....865m/s...Bullet=11.5g
MG131.13mm....750m/s...Bullet=76g
AN/M2.50......850m/s...Bullet=112g
UB-12.7.......850m/s...Bullet=64g
Type3 13.2....789m/s...Bullet=52g

20mm
Type 99-1..600m/s...Bullet=200g
MG151/20...720m/s...Bullet=205g
Ho-1 20mm..750m/s...Bullet=164g
Ho-5 20mm..750m/s...Bullet=84g
ShVAK 20mm.770m/s...Bullet=96g
Type 99-2..750m/s...Bullet=222g
Hs404 20mm.880m/s...Bullet=257g

30-37mm
Mk108 30mm.500m/s...Bullet=336g M-Gesch
M4-37mm....610m/s...Bullet=608g HE
Mk103 30mm.860m/s...Bullet=336g M-Gesch
NS-37 37mm.880m/s...Bullet=760g AP
NS-37 37mm.900m/s...Bullet=735g HE
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 06:49:22 PM »
I comment that all is good and I get that verbal :rolleyes: your such a windbag sometimes... Keep up the good work... I guess
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez