Author Topic: more naval traffic  (Read 644 times)

Offline Helm

• Nickel Member
more naval traffic
« on: May 09, 2014, 10:22:01 AM »
  Ah has giant expanses of water.  Yet almost no naval traffic.  There is only a tug boat towing a barge on some maps.  As far as I can tell it's only on certain maps.  It is a rare sight for sure.

A huge portion of WW2 was the destruction of Naval traffic.  English channel, Malta.  the Pacific Campagin just to name a few important areas where this occured.

Some naval traffic to harrass during slow times in the arenas would be a welcome diversion.

A couple of tankers, tramp steamers, and a few frieghters milling around doing their thing would be fun.

Helm....out
XO of ^"^Nazgul^"^
Proudly serving since campaign #13
"No Rain?" ...."No Rainbow, baby!" ....Bootsey Collins 2009

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
Re: more naval traffic
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 10:24:17 AM »
+1
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 10:32:15 AM »
 :aok +1
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 10:42:33 AM »
+1 Along with the occassionsl convoy yes :aok

There are going to have to be routes, trading ports from which they come and bases that they resupply. They can't be there for no reason, not for as big a system it would be.
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline Blinder

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 07:36:38 AM »
 Ah has giant expanses of water.  Yet almost no naval traffic.  There is only a tug boat towing a barge on some maps.  As far as I can tell it's only on certain maps.  It is a rare sight for sure.

A huge portion of WW2 was the destruction of Naval traffic.  English channel, Malta.  the Pacific Campagin just to name a few important areas where this occured.

Some naval traffic to harrass during slow times in the arenas would be a welcome diversion.

A couple of tankers, tramp steamers, and a few frieghters milling around doing their thing would be fun.

Helm....out

An excellent suggestion. And unlike a multitude of other requests, this one can easily be granted by the powers that be. Merchant marine shipping would be great addition and great targets for anyone wishing to fly the slower single-engine carrier-based bombers. I'm all for it.  :aok

« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 07:39:33 AM by Blinder »
Fighter pilots win glory .... Bomber pilots win wars.

17th Guards Air Assault Regiment (VVS) "Badenov's Red Raiders"

Offline Xavier

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 07:47:09 AM »
+1
Started from the bottom...still at the bottom.

Offline Helm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 08:05:13 AM »
+1 Along with the occassionsl convoy yes :aok

There are going to have to be routes, trading ports from which they come and bases that they resupply. They can't be there for no reason, not for as big a system it would be.

I don't think these ships would need to be part of the "Strat" system.  It takes a very long time for a ship sailling 8-12 knots to cover the huge distances required.  This would force the base down time to be too long.  I have a much simpler solution.  Think of these vessels as being everything else that a base requires.  A freighter could be delivering all the things that are needed to run a base that is NOT part of the "strat" system.   Paper, pencils, food , lubricating oil, G.I. Socks, tank treads, spare parts, mail, bricks, AA shells, request forms, Red tape, flight jackets, medical supplies.  etc etc.  With out these "other" items no base could function.  By looking at these ships in this manner makes for a much simpler solution.

Each ship would have a 37mm AA gun, with a medicore gunner,  You would also need to check the flag it was flying.  Rook....Knight ....Bishop before you attacked it.

Helm ....out

XO of ^"^Nazgul^"^
Proudly serving since campaign #13
"No Rain?" ...."No Rainbow, baby!" ....Bootsey Collins 2009

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 09:39:38 AM »
I think there is an issue with the number of ship groups. I seem to remember reading something about limiting the number of CV groups on a map. One map we have what 6 or so cv groups. If that was the limit for a 512 map then you would have to remove a couple to add "convoys". Maybe it's not an issue anymore, but I thought it had something to do with updating the data location for each group to everyone all the time, real time.

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 10:50:29 PM »
I think there is an issue with the number of ship groups. I seem to remember reading something about limiting the number of CV groups on a map. One map we have what 6 or so cv groups. If that was the limit for a 512 map then you would have to remove a couple to add "convoys". Maybe it's not an issue anymore, but I thought it had something to do with updating the data location for each group to everyone all the time, real time.

You might be thinking of Grinder map has 9 cv's.........way to many IMHO :salute
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline Paladin3

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 08:15:44 AM »
There are no mediocre ack gunners. They are all aces and have radar assist and a rank of like colonel seems to me.

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 09:33:01 AM »
Fishing trawlers and such, (spy ships) as well as oilers,convoys, you name it,, it would be cool!

All of it should be able to be destroyed,, no need to be controllable ,, the spy ships should have small radar and flash when detected but delayed for a short period to reflect com. Problems,,, they might not even show up on the map unless they are flashing,, just a red dot on the map flashing,, wouldn't tell you much but might save your base from an NOE, or a sneaky CV!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 03:58:59 AM »
+1
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline Lucifer

• Probation 9/1/2017
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 01:11:58 PM »
+1 good idea.  :rock

" Army Of Wolves "

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 03:35:47 PM »
seems to me the more stuff thats on the screen the more it affects frame rate--i could be and probably am wrong-just seems since the game controls the fleets speed and respawn time it would affect frame rate-it's more for htc servers to do. but more targets are more fun to shoot at.
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.