Author Topic: My new MA terrain idea  (Read 1678 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: My new MA terrain idea
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2014, 07:18:41 PM »
Yep, and plenty of them think 30 CV groups

With the numbers we currently have,  that many CV's will for the most part of the day not create "many good fights" but dozens of individual base sneak attempts, except for us prime.

and with little to no GV fights (which I do not constitute as a "good fight")

Not ever going to happen for very good reasons :)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2014, 07:39:10 PM »
I like GVing, so there will be plenty of spawns.  It will be a desert-ish terrain for some variety.

Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2014, 07:58:56 PM »
I like GVing, so there will be plenty of spawns.  It will be a desert-ish terrain for some variety.

I'm curious about what kind of foliage you are going to put into the terrain with it being a desert theme. I think it would also be cool if there were still some non-desert areas scattered around the map. Maybe a mountain or two but with the shape of the islands, I don't think that will be happening. Will you be waiting until the new terrain engine comes out before finishing your work?

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2014, 08:06:19 PM »
I'm curious about what kind of foliage you are going to put into the terrain with it being a desert theme. I think it would also be cool if there were still some non-desert areas scattered around the map. Maybe a mountain or two but with the shape of the islands, I don't think that will be happening. Will you be waiting until the new terrain engine comes out before finishing your work?

For an MA terrain, it would have the default clutter set (foilage).  And yes there will be green areas.  That's why I said desert-ish instead of desert.  I'll wait for the new engine to come out.  I've got more AvA terrains to do in the meantime.  I'll probably start it and get the basic land & water in, then wait for the new editor to come out before picking it back up.  So light a fire under HTC's butt to get the new engine done! :D
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩

Offline MotleyCH

• Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2014, 08:59:21 PM »
I've had a few ideas in the past for an MA Map. But it's so time consuming to finish one.

I find it easier to make the terrain than to place all the fields, towns and spawn points.

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2014, 10:18:12 PM »
That's cool!! :rock
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2014, 12:05:37 PM »
Well first a big  :salute to anyone making ANY kind of new map and for taking the time to do it. Im sure it must be satisfying too ; To see the community digging a map you made.

A map or two ago there was one that look set in the south Pacific. For me everything was perfect. Plenty of water, plenty of fights. Large but not to large to find fights. But most of all the colors. the colors were hit right on the head. Most of all the aqua blue of the water. I enjoy just flying over it and looking at it. :salute
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2014, 01:28:01 PM »
Please excuse my ignorance on how maps and terrains work with tis question.

Can you start this now and have it work with the new terrain stuff HTC is doing, or do maps need to be designed and built after that happens?

Suggestions:

Greebos Crater MA TT is great, maybe too great.  I usually just gv when its up.  It allows instant action or spawning in safe and sneaking around, lots of terrain variation and limited bombing.   :aok

I like some gv spawns to strats with the ability to counter them with gvs.

1 sector or less opposing airfields in some spots with some terrain that funnels guys into some canyon/terrain fighting to promote good furballs.

Would love a desert or Fall colored map  :aok

I won't complain no matter what it is.  New stuff is good.
AMAX  in game

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2014, 02:17:12 PM »

More reef island eye candy  :cool:

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2014, 05:40:16 PM »
How about real maps but not real...

Mythical lands...outta scale but

Pangea...the land that time forgot..might just be it..

CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline WEZEL

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2014, 08:11:27 AM »
I know this will not go over well but....I would like to see more maps without a tank town. This would get the Gv guys more involved in the actual fight to take a base or defend them. Have one spawn from each side go deep into the other country's  homeland this would force bombers and fighters to fly fighting all the way in to drop hangers and support the fight for the base, if the base does get captured you all know what kind of  fight will ensue to get it back or to spread the fight out in the enemy's homeland. The "Alamo" type fights on any map are the most intense and fast paced fights I have ever been in. 

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2014, 12:42:28 PM »

get the Gv guys more involved in the actual fight to take a base or defend them

Wezel,

I agree with your intent, but as a fellow Knight I think you know as well as I do, there is very little that will convince them to organize, especially for a base take.  Tank Towns at least gather folks with a similar intent in a general area.  I know with Knights, this is still like herding cats, but at least the "cats that are there (in TT) typically form into a fighting unit for safety's sake.

Similarly, the discussions about high altitude fish bowls, canyons, and my barrier reef idea are designs in maps that attempt to channel action.  The best explanation for such an apparent need for these types of designs is that AH offers so much freedom in movement and not enough reward for country advancement. (There I said it.  I love the game, but writing my name with the Carrier Group spawn can be just as entertaining as taking the last base to "win the war").

Therefore, your premise that having no Tank Town, will gather tankers into better action elsewhere, will have to involve much more in the evolution of the base take system.  This is entirely in HTC's hands and there is hope that with a new terrain and field designs will come renewed interest in "The Warz" (for heaven's sake at least for Knights).  Until we know what these changes are, I will assume that game play will be status quo.

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2014, 04:46:03 PM »
Great question:

Please excuse my ignorance on how maps and terrains work with tis question.

Can you start this now and have it work with the new terrain stuff HTC is doing, or do maps need to be designed and built after that happens?

anyone have an answer??
=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2014, 05:59:01 PM »
IIRC HTC intend to release a terrain converter when the next version comes out. However I'd say its a bit risky doing much more on an MA terrain with the current terrain editor than the ground elevations and coastlines. The new base/town setup is going to be completely different in the next version as is the terrain mesh size. It is quite possible the strat and supply system could also be altered and there might be new stuff added (new bases, bridges etc.) So any work you do on that would likely need to be revised later.

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2014, 06:04:52 PM »
IIRC HTC intend to release a terrain converter when the next version comes out. However I'd say its a bit risky doing much more on an MA terrain with the current terrain editor than the ground elevations and coastlines. The new base/town setup is going to be completely different in the next version as is the terrain mesh size. It is quite possible the strat and supply system could also be altered and there might be new stuff added (new bases, bridges etc.) So any work you do on that would likely need to be revised later.

I have enough terrains on the server to convert without throwing an MA terrain in the mix.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 06:06:41 PM by USRanger »
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩