Author Topic: My new MA terrain idea  (Read 1677 times)

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
My new MA terrain idea
« on: May 14, 2014, 08:45:36 PM »
   I've been making terrains since 2004, a butt ton of which are on the server now that get used for the AvA & other places, yet I have never made an MA terrain.  I've said I was gonna many times over the years, but never got into doing it.  To celebrate my 10th year in AH, I want to finally make an MA terrain for the community.  Here is a 5 minute drawing of the basic concept I want to use.  I would want to make the outer ring at sea level, then the next inner ring 1.5-2k higher, then the next ring the same way, etc.  The center island I would want at 10-12k for a tank town resembling the one in Greebo's.  I'd like to here some honest opinions of the design before I start. It would be a 256x256 mile "small" MA terrain.  Keep in mind this was a quick drawing, so I don't actually know how many rings there would actually be. :)

Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline GhostCDB

• Silver Member
Re: My new MA terrain idea
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 09:01:30 PM »
Reminds me a lot of the map we have with the Tank Town in the middle with the 15k mountain range and the air bases behind the vbases.

I don't know the name of the map, I am sure Snailman knows.

I know the P21 is at the bottom of the map I am trying to describe and there is always a furball North of P21.

Top Gun

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 09:07:00 PM »
I know the water wouldn't be so wide, but big enough for CVs to maneuver.  Picture it as a simple bulls-eye design with cuts through the land rings for CVs to go all over.  I can't think of the one you are thinking of either Ghost.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 11:21:06 PM »
I can tell you what I don't like.
* I dont like maps where mountain ranges are so high that you have to climb for ever. Then once you clear the ridge you dont dare going down because you dont want to have to climb back to clear the range.
* I dont like map that dont look realistic, it kill my immersion factor before I even get into the cockpit.

The concept you propose is an un-original variation of a couple of maps we already have. Show brillance by coming up with something that doesnt look like a sandbox and yet provides all the fairness and side balancing of one. :salute
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 11:45:14 PM »
Looks cool,,
My idea if I could build one of my own to follow based on your rendering

I'd like at least a few outer bases at 6k or so with clear paths to launch heavy bombers  and the mountains around TT need to be tight in around the fight, tall and have narrow roads that could be driven on by tanks and such,,  maybe 7k from one side to the other inside the TT area,, the tighter the area, the harder to get large bombers calibrated for targets,, not impossible, just harder, and new berms and bumps more suited to the hieght of the tanks we have and gentle slopes for gun depression .
I'm thinking out loud but also , all GV spawns around the map need to be equal distance from the town and no more than 4k apart, 2 k would be better
As you get closer to HQ the towns could be closer to the fields for field gun protection as well.
Strats all need to go along the outer islands near uncapturable bases, to get 20% , you'd have to capture at least two hard to capture bases or bases on the oposite side of the enemy,, the hard bass need to have nearby , high alt bases that are uncapturable to help defend

Well Im just rattling on and I can't even build one ! My complements to you and those who can and do,, and.  Just my two cents!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline CASHEW

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 11:45:32 PM »
Looks pretty much along the lines of everything we have. need something new. DIVERS  :bolt:
Peanut1 in game.

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 11:55:33 PM »
Wanna drive people nuts...

Place a vbase at each repectable end of the map with a spawn directly to each enemy HQ...

If that doesn't cause a fight, nothing will...
The boiling pot is put away and the crab has gone back to sea...

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 12:21:14 AM »
I'd actually prefer the outer ring "home islands" to be a good deal larger, with the uncapturable bases between the HQ / strats and the final coastline, and other bases beyond. Maybe a port tucked away in a cove right at the back on either side.

I'm all for mountain ranges offering protection to a gv town, and for making some port captures just not worth the effort, sux for the big blue fans not to have any cvs.

It really comes down to base placement I think, in terms of how close vbases are, where the ports are located, etc.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 01:49:01 AM »
Please make it so carriers can go anywhere there is water.

Let each country have a spawn into tank town from another base that is not in tank town. Possibly from an indestructible base.

(edit) Oh and let there be pt spawns to both sides of an island where a strat is to defend against carriers.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 01:51:13 AM by Drane »
92 Squadron RAF - Aut pugna aut morere - 'Either fight or die'

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 04:44:55 AM »
Please excuse me if this is not what you had in mind.  I know that you made a rough drawing to show the rings and have seen the work that you have done, so I am merely suggesting what I would like a finished concept to resemble. 

• Atoll / Barrier Reef shapes and textures
  • "Tank Town" (Village) on Main island
  • Asymmetrical Map NOT bullseye = TT island is in upper right corner
  • Barrier reef / islands deny carrier access to TT island
  • Barrier Islands vulnerable to fleet attack, and provide spawns to inner islands / "rings"
  • Country start either occupying the West, the Interior(with Northern fleet access) or the South as well as equal TT island bases
  • Consider Hi Alt bases will be points where bombers and defenders would depart, make them uncapturable

Premise of the concept is that:
1) fleet battles would be prevalent on the outer ring / wedge,
2) airfield battles would be prevalent in the attacks aimed at interior bases
3) center portion of the Main island would promote "quality" tank battles, with good defensive positions and offensive positons at a centralized village (town) location

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 06:08:28 AM »
I'd like to see a medium to large map made up of all small islands 95% of which were ports with no air feilds and little to no GV spawns but to maybe HQ
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 08:17:40 AM »
I'd make the map a bit less geometric-looking, so it looks like it could be a real place. Have all the islands differently shaped and add a few wiggles in the passages between them, but without losing the essential layout or balance. Put some smaller gaps through some of the islands, too small to pass a CV through, just to break up the regularity a bit.

I know its popular but I wish I'd never put that TT into my map. It makes the rest of the spawn layout on the map redundant and reduces the number of players flying aircraft.

BTW for those suggesting hi-alt airbases, I think there's a rule saying no airbases over 4K on an MA map. Otherwise its a struggle to get heavily loaded bombers off the ground in the length of the runway.

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 08:23:48 AM »
4k would be fine but the end of the runways need to be clear of obstructions ,, runway builders aren't supposed to build airstrips in bowls!  Or with mountains at the end of the concrete !
Flying since tour 71.

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 09:02:09 AM »
Reminds me a lot of the map we have with the Tank Town in the middle with the 15k mountain range and the air bases behind the vbases.

I don't know the name of the map, I am sure Snailman knows.

I know the P21 is at the bottom of the map I am trying to describe and there is always a furball North of P21.

i think your thinking of CRATERMA it's newest map we have
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 09:04:21 AM »
I'd like to see a medium to large map made up of all small islands 95% of which were ports with no air feilds and little to no GV spawns but to maybe HQ

Is this map supposed to produce a decent fight? :headscratch:
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"