Author Topic: Skill = Rage  (Read 1910 times)

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Skill = Rage
« on: May 16, 2014, 03:31:59 PM »
This is something that I just noticed the other day, years ago (as in last year) when I still sucked at the game I enjoyed every minute I had in game. I didn't care about ack huggers, HOers, runners, pickers or the general tard you may think of. But as I started to get a bit more skill in game I started getting pissed off at tactics that happened all the time. I find myself constantly getting irritated by the things I listed above (pickers and HOers not as much anymore since I've learned how to beat them).

I was just curious if anyone else felt the same way.

*It's also worth noting that I use the term "skill" very loosely.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
Re: Skill = Rage
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 03:42:50 PM »
No :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 03:55:57 PM »

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 03:56:29 PM »
I'd say it's not as much skill as it is experience.  I know when I first started out in flight sims I was just in heaven, other airplanes to shoot at with real people flying them.  All I did was die, did a fair bit of training with various people and started to become something resembling a cartoon pile-it.  It went from dying horribly to trying to survive to holding my own to feeling fairly confident that if I come across a single other aircraft I am going to kill him.  That confidence isn't always justified of course. ;)

As you get more experienced and come around to whatever your idea of how the game should be played, you start to have the time as you're playing to notice the things that irk you in other players.  Partly because you're not as overwhelmed as you used to be, partly because this is literally the 5000th time some guy has tried to HO you and run for his ack.

I think a lot of people go through almost a progression as they spend more time in these games.  There's a start, middle, and end to how people feel about the game.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 04:07:49 PM »
I assume the HO is coming every merge, assume the guy above me (whether I see his plane or not) is going to try to pick me, assume the guy in a faster plane will run away, and  assume when I chase enemy planes they are most likely headed towards their ack coverage.  Makes me a lot happier.  :)
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 04:08:58 PM »
This kinda sums it up for me....

http://youtu.be/t4e32wstykg

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 04:15:07 PM »

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 04:25:16 PM »
No :old:

Zack only gets mad when there are no Narzels for him to shoot at.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 04:33:59 PM »
I believe that when you get better at the game you are looking for better opponents to fight against. Your looking to Test your skill level. Coupled with having less patience with those that do what your stating above.   Just natural progression.

One thing I've always managed to do is not get mad.  It's only a game
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 05:00:43 PM by mbailey »
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 04:39:39 PM »
People get mad when their expectations aren't met.   Think about who is setting the expectations you have when playing.  This translates to a huge chunk of real life as well.
AMAX  in game

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 04:46:21 PM »
Anytime that I flew for score, inevitably caused me grief when I got shot down.  Last few years, I set goals for myself and they also sometimes cause grief too.  Still have a ways to go on my current goal and it is difficult and frustrating.  Can't wait until it's done and I can just fly. 

I would say expectations cause grief.

People get mad when their expectations aren't met.   Think about who is setting the expectations you have when playing.  This translates to a huge chunk of real life as well.

What he said.

"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 05:18:11 PM »
ignorance is bliss
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 05:25:48 PM »
I assume the HO is coming every merge, assume the guy above me (whether I see his plane or not) is going to try to pick me, assume the guy in a faster plane will run away, and  assume when I chase enemy planes they are most likely headed towards their ack coverage.  Makes me a lot happier.  :)

well I'd have to agree 100 percent with that I just don't worry about it anymore, if I find myself getting frustrated or pissed off that's when I go find something else to do.  It's just a game.
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 05:38:26 PM »
This is something that I just noticed the other day, years ago (as in last year) when I still sucked at the game I enjoyed every minute I had in game. I didn't care about ack huggers, HOers, runners, pickers or the general tard you may think of. But as I started to get a bit more skill in game I started getting pissed off at tactics that happened all the time. I find myself constantly getting irritated by the things I listed above (pickers and HOers not as much anymore since I've learned how to beat them).

sometimes it does irk me but then again I'm not skilled, nor do I play the game like I expect to be uber for me its all about having fun. I expect others are playing for the same reason so who am I to nitpick how they choose to have fun.
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 07:08:41 PM »

This is pretty close, no cigar. I believe that it isn't skill that = rage.
It's more along line of frustration of not being able to stretch yourself and further expand, learn and understand those skills by "poor form" opponents.
But pilots that use those tactics don't further their own ability because those tactics are short term results, (that "fight" only) and not expanding their own skill set. Often they fall prey to the guy that has fought and earned the vast majority of his kills mano a mano.
The trouble is, as you learn more you naturally want to be tested to at your level and the level above you, anything below can feel repetitive or a wasted time.
It's not rage, it's aggressive disappointment.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho