Author Topic: Two countries vs Three  (Read 4146 times)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
Two countries vs Three
« on: May 22, 2014, 01:14:35 PM »
In Lusche's wish and in past threads, the two country approach keeps coming up as an alternative to the current three country setup.

Outside of the technical issues, why would two countries be a bad idea?  I assume someone with a good deal of past experience might be able to say how we got to the three country system we have now.

Seems to me two countries is the way to go but I don't have the wherewithal to be sure that is the way to go.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
Re: Two countries vs Three
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 01:21:48 PM »
If the perceived hoarding now is bad, imagine the fun getting railroaded with only one option of attack.

Offline sunfan1121

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 01:27:31 PM »
It's great fun to fight against a horde. I don't see a problem with more action. Aces high matchmaking, just like everything else, is user created. Less choice means more action.
A drunk driver will run a stop sign. A stoned driver will stop until it turns green.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 01:40:18 PM »
Well, you wouldn't have to worry about seeing that big juicy bardar and not being able to do anything about it because it's not on your country's front.  Even if one side did horde up and start facerolling maps, I can't see how it would be much different than what happens now.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 01:42:17 PM »
HiTech tried all combinations through warbirds to aces high. He found that 3 sides works best for keeping things more even and playability. I read that some place on the boards. On my phone or I'd look it up.

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 01:43:14 PM »

Two for Tuesdays.  

Give it a rip.

- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 02:05:23 PM »

Two for Tuesdays.  

Give it a rip.

Good compromise
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 02:58:27 PM »
New motto: "Two for Tuesdays!" I give it a solid +1

A week or so ago about 40 of us ended up in the WW1 arena during a map change. The fight lasted 15 minutes or so. What was interesting is the sideswitching rapidly resulted in almost everyone one two sides, with great fights. Cleary AH is seeing a dip in the number of sticks. Going to two sides, and of course the oft discussed 12-hour rule could result in better fights.

As for AH having tried everything....I remember when they would have one Late War arena then sharply at 5PM they would close that and open two, smaller latewar arenas. When that happend 100-150 would promptly log off. It basically dumped the fight. AH changed that, kept the one arena open full-time, which is where we are at now.

Let's give two sides a try on night a week for a few hours and see what happens. Likely it would require some randomization on which chess piece you get the first time, and they may need to change the side switch rule to allow a more dynamic, organic adjustment to imbalance....

Let's see what happens!
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 03:04:04 PM »
So which country gets to rage quit Tuesday?

Offline shoresroad

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 03:14:59 PM »
So which country gets to rage quit Tuesday?

Someone posted a good idea on this several weeks ago: two new country names such as Eagles and Falcons, etc. so no existing country feels jilted.
"Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant."
Manfred von Richthofen

Offline TheCrazyOrange

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 03:15:32 PM »
I feel like auto balancing would be needed then. Resides, nothing good about side loyalty, and this would just increase that.

Offline shoresroad

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 03:24:16 PM »
...nothing good about side loyalty, and this would just increase that.

Side loyalty creates a sense of teamwork.  Many players like teamwork at both the squad and country levels.
"Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant."
Manfred von Richthofen

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 03:26:43 PM »
. . . side loyalty, and this would just increase that.

Side Loyalty when there is a choice between sides is a part of one's profile I would think.  The percent of people who share that type of profile is probably fairly constant.  Meaning, in very course terms, you either are a loyalest or not. I don't think two countries would effect the number of side loyal people.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 03:30:17 PM »
What terrains would you use?

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 03:32:25 PM »
See rule #4
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 03:42:52 PM by hitech »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."