Author Topic: Two countries vs Three  (Read 4262 times)

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
Re: Two countries vs Three
« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2014, 08:40:56 PM »
You don't need to re-write the foundation the Main Arena is built on.  Simply do this in the AvA.  Why does everyone want HTC to redesign something that is working for most players when they already have the tools in front of them to set up exactly what they want? 

The AvA is empty while the MAs are stuffed with a few hundred people.  Seems pretty clear to me.  The main arena has a few hundred players while FSO is going on with another few hundred players, and the AvA is still empty.  Take your 2 front war and make it happen. HTC needs to do nothing for this to occur. The AvA group, I am sure, would love to see a reason to keep the staff busy and set this up for you.  As it is, you guys are looking for a 2 front war and the people who can make it happen are flying in the Main Arena because their arena is empty.  And you want HTC to redesign the main arena because some of you think it's a good idea?  Doesn't look so good to me. 

If it's a great idea, then you can make it work in the AvA.  Try it there, if it's wildly successful you now have some facts to show HTC.  Some of you have spent more time in here wishing it were so, and could have simply made it so.

Thank you ROC.  Sadly most won't listen.  They don't even realize they are missing out on half the terrains on the server.  Tuesday & Thursday nights we are getting around 20 players, so I invite all of you, yet again, to at least come in and check it out on one of those nights. :salute
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2014, 10:10:39 PM »
The more I think about two countries, the more I see the flaw.  With two countries, inevitably, one side would become dominate and stay that way.  With three countries, the chance of that is more remote.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2014, 10:30:54 PM »
The more I think about two countries, the more I see the flaw. 

Everybody should have seen the flaw by page 3 when this was posted..

It is not going to happen.

Hitech

Why anybody thinks they need to ponder the subject another three pages
is the real mystery.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2014, 10:38:34 PM »
Equally inexplicable is the decline in housing and new car sales. Imagine how delusional Hitech would be  without the constant correction he receives here on the BB.   :lol

This ain't cars and houses, bruh.

This is a market segment in decline.   Other games in this genre have slogged this death march already.  It remains to be seen if AH will go the same route.   I am hoping not.  We shall see.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: May 24, 2014, 10:40:34 PM »
The more I think about two countries, the more I see the flaw.  With two countries, inevitably, one side would become dominate and stay that way.  With three countries, the chance of that is more remote.

Not true.  The only way that might happen is if switching sides is too hard.  In WBs people switched sides for balance regularly.  The movement of the battle lines was dynamic and exciting.   It went back and forth. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #80 on: May 24, 2014, 10:51:01 PM »

This ain't cars and houses, bruh.

Thanks for the heads up. You cut straight to the point. I don't know what I was thinking.  :D

I should have remembered you made a similar point earlier. Where you pointed out that landing an aircraft is nothing like choosing between 2 and 3 sides in the MA.
Let me try to find it.

Because things have obviously changed.

"I already tried landing off the ILS and couldn't see the approach lights at minimums.   Why must I try again?"    Because the RVR has gone up.   You can get in now.   American and Delta just made it and they said they had the runway at 500 feet.   (Or you can head to your alternate if you so choose.  Whichever is safer.)

Oops, sucks to be old, I remembered that wrong.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 11:45:05 PM by FLS »

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #81 on: May 24, 2014, 11:39:38 PM »
In WBs people switched sides for balance regularly.

Odd.  Reading the posts on WBs right now.  I don't think you really meant to bring this up ;)  It won't help your argument at all.  Their big concern?  The horde steam rolling the bases, unacceptable odds, 5 hours of fighting for the under dog and this has gone on for 6 months.  It's so bad, that one side even had enough players on that they could send 2 to 3 bombers onto the other sides field and level them.  7 to 2 at around 10pm eastern. 
Like I said earlier, you should make it happen instead of trying to convince everyone in here it should happen.  I think it's possible that HTC has enough sense to not model this game after one that in prime time has the audience of a Wednesday night snapshot.

This isn't a dig at you Vraciu, it's clarification.  You have at your fingertips a game that will support you with tools we have in place to create the game you want.  Quit waiting for HTC to do something that doesn't need done.  Use the AvA and make it happen.
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: May 25, 2014, 02:33:46 AM »

Odd.  Reading the posts on WBs right now.  I don't think you really meant to bring this up ;)  It won't help your argument at all.  Their big concern?  The horde steam rolling the bases, unacceptable odds, 5 hours of fighting for the under dog and this has gone on for 6 months.  It's so bad, that one side even had enough players on that they could send 2 to 3 bombers onto the other sides field and level them.  7 to 2 at around 10pm eastern.  
Like I said earlier, you should make it happen instead of trying to convince everyone in here it should happen.  I think it's possible that HTC has enough sense to not model this game after one that in prime time has the audience of a Wednesday night snapshot.

This isn't a dig at you Vraciu, it's clarification.  You have at your fingertips a game that will support you with tools we have in place to create the game you want.  Quit waiting for HTC to do something that doesn't need done.  Use the AvA and make it happen.

A horde in WBs these days is five players--essentially the entire country.   Behold the future if past is prologue.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 02:35:29 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #83 on: May 25, 2014, 03:47:58 AM »
A horde in WBs these days is five players--essentially the entire country.   Behold the future if past is prologue.

This ain't WB, bruh.   :aok

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #84 on: May 25, 2014, 07:29:42 AM »

Vraciu
Silver Member

Reg: Nov 2013

View Profile WWW Personal Message (Offline) 

« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2014, 12:55:53 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote 

Quote from: Wiley on May 23, 2014, 12:30:43 PM

I've come to the realization that what I actually want by supporting this wish is for there to be more of a chance of opposing action for me to work against.  Number of countries doesn't matter, I just want to be able to get in on whatever action is available rather than watching a red bardar on the other front from across the map.

Wiley.

I am with you on this one.   Chasing Dar Bars is boring.

Shrink the map in relation to player numbers and leave it three sided then.     I am guessing three sides dampens the volatility of the battles.   Only reasoning I can think of.  But the maps are way too big.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 12:57:33 PM by Vraciu »  Report to moderator    Logged 

A worthy cause for a childhood hero of mine....   http://www.AlexVraciu.net.

lunatic1 

you can never satisfy everybody--big map people whine that the map is too big--smaller map--people whine it's too small
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #85 on: May 25, 2014, 07:36:24 AM »
I tell you what  randy1--go to the ava and set up a 2 country ma type map do it for-lets say 2 nights advertise it--let people know what you are doing...and see how it turns out.......I won't be there....I already have fun in the ma.
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: May 25, 2014, 07:49:51 AM »
I tell you what  randy1--go to the ava and set up a 2 country ma type map do it for-lets say 2 nights advertise it--let people know what you are doing...and see how it turns out.......I won't be there....I already have fun in the ma.

Keep in mind my Original Post did not advocate a two country system nor do I now.  I was trying to understand the bases for the current three country system.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2014, 09:31:55 AM »
Keep in mind my Original Post did not advocate a two country system nor do I now.  I was trying to understand the basis for the current three country system.

Fixed
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2014, 10:41:04 AM »
This ain't WB, bruh.   :aok

Pretty much is.  WB circa 2008.   You can see where they are.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #89 on: May 25, 2014, 10:44:01 AM »

you can never satisfy everybody--big map people whine that the map is too big--smaller map--people whine it's too small

Which is why dynamic map scaling would please everyone.   There is no need for 250 bases when you have 25-50 players total.   Or even with 200 players.  Too big.
”KILLER V”
The Damned