Author Topic: BBs issue  (Read 2606 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
BBs issue
« on: May 25, 2014, 10:02:06 AM »
I recently reinstalled XP on my ancient laptop w/IE 8.  Now when I'm on the BBs posting a reply it always bounces back to the top of the reply window after every letter I type.  It's normal until I go below the bottom of the window so quoting someone can be a real PITA.  Any ideas on how to fix this?  I'm restricted on SW by the age of the computer.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
Re: BBs issue
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 10:04:05 AM »
Set IE to run in compatibility mode for the hitechcreations domain.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 01:27:53 PM »
And don't use IE8.

Why not? Well, you must be fed up with security issues, so I don't mention them. But as you may well know, IE was heavily dominating the browser market for quite a long time. Its dominating power was so strong that it could force web site coders to make sites in both the standardized way and the non-standard IE way. With some sniffing a site could then determine which version to show. Now that IE has become more and more standard friendly with every version (the newest is actually announcing itself to sites as "gecko" instead of IE!), the sites with two versions don't know how to react. As IE8 has become obsolete, web administrators and site coders no longer care about the non-standardity of IE8 and just push the standard code to it.

This explanation is utterly simplified, but I believe the basic idea is correct. Someone more familiar with web site coding will certainly pop up and give a more accurate and detailed disambiguation about the subject.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 02:46:17 PM »
Hey,  I tried compatability mode and it seems to be working.

Thanks!

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 12:02:24 AM »
Hey,  I tried compatability mode and it seems to be working.

Thanks!

You should not surf on windows xp anymore and especially you should not surf on XP and ancient version of IE. You're just begging to get infected really.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 10:19:13 AM »
Not worried about it.  

This is a 2000 Sony Vaio with a 650 Mhz PIII and 256 Mg RAM.  It's a little slow but surprisingly smooth for it's age and power.  There's nothing on it except XP, IE8 and MSE which I'll switch out when they stop supporting.  JAVA isn't installed.  Adobe is only installed for shockwave but that's disabled unless I want to see omething on Youtube; then I enable it and disable when I'm done.  I don't access secure sites with it.  I don't use it for e-mail.  I don't DL anything to it.  Mostly read the BBs, check weather at the National Weather Service and surf Minnesota Vikings news at known sites plus a little other random surfing (Wikipedia, etc.).

If it bows up I've gotten my 14 years of use out of it but I bet I'll be here with it a year from now with no issues.

You probably don't remember but I didn't stop using Win98 until well after Vista was released and Win7 was already on the horizon and that was only because no one suported AV for 98 anymore.

BTW, MS just released a security update for IE8/XP within the past two weeks.  Can't be that "ancient".
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 10:29:32 AM by BaldEagl »

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 12:19:38 PM »
Not worried about it.  

This is a 2000 Sony Vaio with a 650 Mhz PIII and 256 Mg RAM.  It's a little slow but surprisingly smooth for it's age and power.  There's nothing on it except XP, IE8 and MSE which I'll switch out when they stop supporting.  JAVA isn't installed.  Adobe is only installed for shockwave but that's disabled unless I want to see omething on Youtube; then I enable it and disable when I'm done.  I don't access secure sites with it.  I don't use it for e-mail.  I don't DL anything to it.  Mostly read the BBs, check weather at the National Weather Service and surf Minnesota Vikings news at known sites plus a little other random surfing (Wikipedia, etc.).

If it bows up I've gotten my 14 years of use out of it but I bet I'll be here with it a year from now with no issues.

You probably don't remember but I didn't stop using Win98 until well after Vista was released and Win7 was already on the horizon and that was only because no one suported AV for 98 anymore.

BTW, MS just released a security update for IE8/XP within the past two weeks.  Can't be that "ancient".

It is prehistoric level of ancient. The release happened only because they fixed an IE component that existed also in the newer versions. XP support is over. It has been a security hazard for years of course even before that. Even if you attempt to surf 'safe' sites, hackers can infiltrate an ad host so that one of the adverts you see on a completely harmless website has malicious code injected in it. Nobody else will now, except you whose OS has not been patched against the attack. Then once the exploit gets in your local area network it can start to bombard also other devices in it, possibly drop an other kind of exploit that can't be remotely executed but works inside the lan.

I would not surf at all on that computer (but then again I don't surf with any windows machine, period).
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 08:39:40 PM »
It is prehistoric level of ancient. The release happened only because they fixed an IE component that existed also in the newer versions. XP support is over. It has been a security hazard for years of course even before that. Even if you attempt to surf 'safe' sites, hackers can infiltrate an ad host so that one of the adverts you see on a completely harmless website has malicious code injected in it. Nobody else will now, except you whose OS has not been patched against the attack. Then once the exploit gets in your local area network it can start to bombard also other devices in it, possibly drop an other kind of exploit that can't be remotely executed but works inside the lan.

I would not surf at all on that computer (but then again I don't surf with any windows machine, period).

Well, in the case you don't have a choice but run XP due to hardware/software combo and you'd like to use the same machine for occasional web surfing...

You could:
Use browser other than IE (note that most will drop support for XP in the future)
Use decent anti-virus and firewall with HIPS (MSE won't cut it)

Continue updating your Win XP -> Windows XP POS systems will have security updates available until 2019.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is the difference between POSReady 2009 and Windows XP Professional?

Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 contains the following Embedded Enabling Features:
        File-Based Write Filter (FBWF), which redirects writes to disk to RAM and helps protect the underlying OS image.
        USB Boot, which allows installation from a USB key.
    Office productivity applications are not licensed to be run on POSReady.
    POS for .NET is included with POSReady.
    POSReady does not contain Help files, which reduces its footprint.
    Both products use the same management software.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Simple registry hack allows POSReady 2009 updates to be installed on regular Win XP SP3 (until MS plugs workaround). 
http://www.sebijk.com/community/board15-other/board73-tutorials/2985-getting-xp-updates/

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 09:44:29 PM »

Well, in the case you don't have a choice but run XP due to hardware/software combo and you'd like to use the same machine for occasional web surfing...

You could:
Use browser other than IE (note that most will drop support for XP in the future)
Use decent anti-virus and firewall with HIPS (MSE won't cut it)

Continue updating your Win XP -> Windows XP POS systems will have security updates available until 2019.

What is the difference between POSReady 2009 and Windows XP Professional?

Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 contains the following Embedded Enabling Features:
        File-Based Write Filter (FBWF), which redirects writes to disk to RAM and helps protect the underlying OS image.
        USB Boot, which allows installation from a USB key.
    Office productivity applications are not licensed to be run on POSReady.
    POS for .NET is included with POSReady.
    POSReady does not contain Help files, which reduces its footprint.
    Both products use the same management software.

Simple registry hack allows POSReady 2009 updates to be installed on regular Win XP SP3 (until MS plugs workaround). 
http://www.sebijk.com/community/board15-other/board73-tutorials/2985-getting-xp-updates/

A MUCH better option is to install a linux variation, it works plug&play and has everything you need for simple use preinstalled. Try Sabayon linux or linux Mint for example. 100% free and you can try them first just by inserting the CD/DVD and booting up, the 'live cd' will not make any changes to your computer as it runs directly from the cd/dvd.

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 12:16:29 AM »
A MUCH better option is to install a linux variation, it works plug&play and has everything you need for simple use preinstalled. Try Sabayon linux or linux Mint for example. 100% free and you can try them first just by inserting the CD/DVD and booting up, the 'live cd' will not make any changes to your computer as it runs directly from the cd/dvd.

Do you use an Anti Virus program with Linux?  If so, which one?  (Apparently I just noticed Eset has a verion of Nod32 for Linux, but they don't make it easy to find.)

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 12:26:53 AM »
If you use an old enough version, that might quality as security through obscurity.  But I think malware developers might just leave some IE8 stuff in there just in case, it probably costs them nothing.  That said, if all you do is browse this site, and you have a separate firewall, you're probably fine.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 12:41:44 AM »

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 11:56:21 AM »
Do you use an Anti Virus program with Linux?  If so, which one?  (Apparently I just noticed Eset has a verion of Nod32 for Linux, but they don't make it easy to find.)

There are no known in the wild viruses for linux so you don't need an antivirus for it. Linux has some antiviruses such as clamav but they're mostly targeted to scan windows malware/viruses when linux is used to serve e-mail or files.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 02:53:29 PM »
This is a very interesting light weight distro that can be booted from a USB drive on permanent basis. It runs 100% in ram so its very fast. It's also skinned to make it look more familiar to Windows users: http://sourceforge.net/projects/subdivision/?source=recommended

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 11:58:45 PM »
There are no known in the wild viruses for linux so you don't need an antivirus for it. Linux has some antiviruses such as clamav but they're mostly targeted to scan windows malware/viruses when linux is used to serve e-mail or files.

ripley while there are no "known viruses in the wild", it doesnt mean there isnt any viruses at all.  while lynux is safer than windows you should still be carefull

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_malware

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.