Author Topic: A5M and Ki-27  (Read 450 times)

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
A5M and Ki-27
« on: June 11, 2014, 08:15:11 PM »
It seems the I-16 is out of place amongst the current competition in the overall plane set.

The A5M and Ki-27 would make for some good competition. The A5M also saw some service at the Battle of Coral Sea. Two great additions to the VERY early war plane set.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_A5M

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakajima_Ki-27
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Coalcat1

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Re: A5M and Ki-27
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 08:32:48 PM »
+1

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 08:36:11 PM »
It seems the I-16 is out of place amongst the current competition in the overall plane set.

The A5M and Ki-27 would make for some good competition. The A5M also saw some service at the Battle of Coral Sea. Two great additions to the VERY early war plane set.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_A5M

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakajima_Ki-27

Also, the Flying Tigers never fought a Zero (at least not until AFTER they were brought back into the USAAF, and even if then). Their opposition was the A5M, Ki-27, and small numbers of Ki-43s. No AVG scenario should involve Zeros.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 09:03:43 PM »
Also, the Flying Tigers never fought a Zero (at least not until AFTER they were brought back into the USAAF, and even if then). Their opposition was the A5M, Ki-27, and small numbers of Ki-43s. No AVG scenario should involve Zeros.

True. These two aircraft were very important Early war fighters.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline HighTone

• Silver Member
      • Squad Site
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 09:51:23 PM »

Nor should they involve the Brewster we have.

LCA Special Events CO     LCA ~Tainan Kokutai~       
www.lcasquadron.org      Thanks for the Oscar HTC

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 10:55:04 PM »

Nor should they involve the Brewster we have.

Zeros in place of A5Ms and Ki-27s is a MUCH more glaring substitution than the B-239 is for the British B-339s. The Brewster is ultimately just a different variant of the same airframe (and before anyone gets snippy, the Dutch 339s weren't too far off the 239). The Zero is a completely different aircraft.

It's akin to giving the Americans the F4U or F6F in place of the Wildcat in a Guadalcanal campaign.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 12:14:29 AM »
It's akin to giving the Americans the F4U or F6F in place of the Wildcat in a Guadalcanal campaign.

Or the TBM in place of the TBD. Oh wait, we do that as well.  :noid
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 06:24:27 AM »

And I've been asking for the TBD for years so that doesn't happen, too. :P

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 11:05:55 AM »
And the 1943 SBD-5 against the 1937 D3A1 rather than the 1942 SBD-3 against the 1942 D3A2.  And the B239 standing in for the F2A-3.

And I do recall a 1942 setup that pitted the A6M2 against the F4U-1.  That was a hoot.  The CMs had to mercy disable the F4U-1 because it was such a slaughter, though I did enjoy getting one of the only 10 kills on the F4U by an A6M2 in that setup.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 12:02:29 PM »
How about a C.200 or Cr.42?
Heinkel Hs 123?