Author Topic: Need good advice: reloading Windows  (Read 2277 times)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Need good advice: reloading Windows
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2014, 03:26:55 PM »
<snip>Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I72600K
I'm seriously hoping that this isn't the graphics you're running AH with. If you are, well, another culprit candidate found. Intel graphics simply don't work with AH, or vice versa.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2014, 04:08:48 PM »
Good call!  I bought that CPU and MB by mistake and RMA'd the CPU for the one below.  I cut and paste the data from my Newegg account and used the RMA line..

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I72600K

Ok that's better now....................... :D

Kinda figured that it was a typo of sorts but I had to ask.

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2014, 10:40:43 PM »
I'm seriously hoping that this isn't the graphics you're running AH with. If you are, well, another culprit candidate found. Intel graphics simply don't work with AH, or vice versa.

No sir, I am using a MSI GTX770 :aok  Having said that, I was running a Radeon HD 6950 before and have wondered if I didn't uninstall it correctly and that may be a problem.   The problems started long after I switched cards though.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 10:44:08 PM by -ammo- »
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2014, 12:48:36 AM »
No sir, I am using a MSI GTX770 :aok  Having said that, I was running a Radeon HD 6950 before and have wondered if I didn't uninstall it correctly and that may be a problem.   The problems started long after I switched cards though.

You should always reinstall windows or at least use a driver cleaner if you switch graphics card makers. Driver residue can cause surprises.

It is however pretty likely that your problems would have started immediately upon switch if drivers were at cause. Most likely your PSU is slowly bending under the new load and your voltages started to fluctuate enough to crash your computer. Or it's even possible that your new 770 is faulty in the worst case. Try another PSU anyway. Borrow a known working one or invest to a quality unit - it won't be money wasted as you can reuse it later, just make sure your new PSU supports the new low Haswell voltages.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2014, 08:10:31 AM »
Purchased this just now:  SeaSonic M12II 750 SS-750AM2 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Full-modular Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready

I'll let you guys know how it works out (with a fresh Windows install).

I appreciate the help and advice :cheers:

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2014, 08:27:19 AM »
I'm very tempted to purchase this while I am at it: SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE1T0BW 2.5" 1TB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD).  On sale through midnight for $439

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2014, 11:19:59 AM »
I'm very tempted to purchase this while I am at it: SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE1T0BW 2.5" 1TB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD).  On sale through midnight for $439
I'd say it's your money and you can do whatever you like with it. What I want you to know about it is that it won't make AH run any faster, not a single frame. It certainly will make your computer a little quieter, and a lot faster concerning startup and starting programs. As they say, time is money, so if you feel like you'd getting into the game one or two minutes faster after a cold boot is worth $439, go for it.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2014, 02:55:19 PM »
I'd say it's your money and you can do whatever you like with it. What I want you to know about it is that it won't make AH run any faster, not a single frame. It certainly will make your computer a little quieter, and a lot faster concerning startup and starting programs. As they say, time is money, so if you feel like you'd getting into the game one or two minutes faster after a cold boot is worth $439, go for it.

Getting the SSD is the most efficient single thing he can get to make his computer feel snappier and more responsive in day to day use. It's just amazing in practice. Computers with regular hdds feel so antiquated and sluggish after using one with SSD for a while.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2014, 03:52:40 AM »
As I said, "a lot faster concerning startup and starting programs". By which I meant "snappier and more responsive in day to day use". No arguing here.

But I believe it's fair to also point out that it won't make the game run any better. As a side note, an SSD wouldn't necessarily take me faster to the game, since I like the title0 tune. Sing, sing, sing by Glenn Miller's Orchestra, a five minutes masterpiece. It will take those five minutes with every type of a hard disk.

Kotisivuni

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2014, 05:18:54 AM »
As I said, "a lot faster concerning startup and starting programs". By which I meant "snappier and more responsive in day to day use". No arguing here.

But I believe it's fair to also point out that it won't make the game run any better. As a side note, an SSD wouldn't necessarily take me faster to the game, since I like the title0 tune. Sing, sing, sing by Glenn Miller's Orchestra, a five minutes masterpiece. It will take those five minutes with every type of a hard disk.

It may make even the game run better as it reduces the stutters caused by texture loading. Granted thats a rare occurrence but regardles of the fact it will make a difference.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2014, 12:27:27 PM »
It may make even the game run better as it reduces the stutters caused by texture loading. Granted thats a rare occurrence but regardles of the fact it will make a difference.

Actually, the game preloads whatever it is going to need before it needs it, so an SSD is really not going to improve texture loading.

I would not run Aces High on an SSD anyway, given the game does a lot of writes of small files.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2014, 12:28:56 PM »
Actually, the game preloads whatever it is going to need before it needs it, so an SSD is really not going to improve texture loading.

I would not run Aces High on an SSD anyway, given the game does a lot of writes of small files.

This is the kind of info I need.  I am running an Intel 120 GB SSD now and have AH installed on it

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2014, 01:25:39 PM »
The perception of texture loads causing stutters is really more about the video card struggling to free up resources so it can accept a texture.

Too many people are running the game at settings which can swamp the video RAM and cause resource issues.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2014, 10:33:44 PM »
I ordered this PSU; Seasonic M12II-750 Bronze ATX 750W Modular Power Supply and it arrived dead in the box.  I RMA'd the PSU pourchased a different PSU.  I bought this one: CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply.  While I was at it, I upgraded to a full tower case.

While waiting for the PSU to arrive, I grew tired of the constant lock ups and attempted to reload windows.  My PC did not make through the installation.  Damn lock ups!  I waited for the new PSU and case to arrive to attempt another reload of Windows. Also, I had another SSD on hand. 

BL, I am not sure whether it was my PSU, a software issue, or even my SSD that caused the problem. 

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2014, 12:10:34 AM »
I ordered this PSU; Seasonic M12II-750 Bronze ATX 750W Modular Power Supply and it arrived dead in the box.  I RMA'd the PSU pourchased a different PSU.  I bought this one: CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply.  While I was at it, I upgraded to a full tower case.

While waiting for the PSU to arrive, I grew tired of the constant lock ups and attempted to reload windows.  My PC did not make through the installation.  Damn lock ups!  I waited for the new PSU and case to arrive to attempt another reload of Windows. Also, I had another SSD on hand. 

BL, I am not sure whether it was my PSU, a software issue, or even my SSD that caused the problem. 

I have the HX750 and it has been rock solid in my PC.   I even upgraded my Video Card, so I cannot wait to return the friendly skies.    Just not yet.   :airplane:
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC